• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

One of the Most “Wake Foresty” Wake Forest Moments of All Time

I was more disappointed watching the game Saturday on TV than I was watching the Gaines Adams game live. Clemson wasn't *Clemson* back then, and the game was week 5,so it was early enough in the year that an ACC Championship appearance didn't even cross my mind.

Our loss Saturday is absolutely a top-5 Wake sports loss for me personally. Pittsnoggle sitting at #1. Not sure how I'd rank 2-5, as we have a library to choose from.

The immense pain derived from watching those final seconds tick off is an undescribable feeling.

Then I hug my kid and she tells me she loves me and I remember just how insignificant that game really was in the grand scheme of things.

The immense pain derived from watching those final seconds tick off is an undescribable feeling.

Then I hug my kid and she tells me she loves me and I remember just how insignificant that game really was in the grand scheme of things.

You're a better dad than I am. My kid picked the last 3 minutes of the game to ask me to explain football to him. I did the best I could while containing my misery.

You're a better dad than I am. My kid picked the last 3 minutes of the game to ask me to explain football to him. I did the best I could while containing my misery.

Daddy, what's offsides??? Why didn't the striped people say offsides even though you said it was???

We got up early but the offense sputtered and State made it a game. Swank had to bail them out with three 50+ yard FGs.

Yeah and I wanna say we got a safety as well- only two offensive TD’s.

I'm worried that we are going to let UNC beat us more than just yesterday. I'm not confident that we will bounce back next week. Losing at CH in almost the exact same way 2 years in a row has to be traumatic for the players. It certainly is for me.

This is the least of my concerns. This team has already gotten over it, except they're mad as hades and will want to make up for it. Whether they play up to their potential at State will have nothing to do with Kenan Stadium and everything to do with decision making before, during and in the game. We have the talent, skill and experience. We are Wake Forest.

Let’s remember - it’s not like we got butlerized on Saturday- we were 3 or 4 plays away from winning despite losing turnover battle. If we had won 55-48- everyone would be saying we would run table despite giving up so many yards on the ground. Nothing has changed other than some injuries.

Ranked in the Top 10 in both major polls for the first time ever.

Ranked #9 in the CFP in a season when anything can happen. Check

Still get downplayed nationally and called an underdog in our next game against one of our chief rivals. Check

Have a chance to redeem last year’s debacle against said rival. Check

Have the exact same type of huge lead against that rival. Check

Chance to beat full of hot air blowhard jackass Mack Brown.

Chance to beat cheater 1 Bateman and cheater loudmouth full of crap Galloway.

Chance for Anderson to redeem himself after the 2020 debacle.

Chance to show we can finish off a game against UNC when we are up 14 or more going into the 4th quarter.

Chance to show we can tackle in space, so Kirk Herbstreit will shut up.

Chance for Hartman, despite gaudy numbers, to leapfrog his good buddy (do not like this) Sam douche Howell.

Chance for Wake to go 2-1 against Mack, then carry momentum into NC State game and win that one (looks 50/50 at best now) for recruiting the state of NC and winning recruiting battles.

And more...

Cannot afford to go crap the bed in the 4th quarter, even without 3 DB's and CBS and...

Blow it.

“We can still play for an ACC Championship.” Yes we can. Hopefully we will. But how does any single one of us deal with this kind of incredibly painful and perfectly predictable heartbreak. Truly unreal.

Being a Wake fan… what a ride.

#GoDeacs

This is the least of my concerns. This team has already gotten over it, except they're mad as hades and will want to make up for it. Whether they play up to their potential at State will have nothing to do with Kenan Stadium and everything to do with decision making before, during and in the game. We have the talent, skill and experience. We are Wake Forest.

Yeah. That's the problem. We all know how this ends.

Let’s remember - it’s not like we got butlerized on Saturday- we were 3 or 4 plays away from winning despite losing turnover battle. If we had won 55-48- everyone would be saying we would run table despite giving up so many yards on the ground. Nothing has changed other than some injuries.

Correct - I don't see much "Wake-Foresty" in the result in Chapel Hill.

We've been playing with fire over the past month with the way the defense has played (or not played). The difference is the offense made the plays to bail us out against L'ville, Syracuse and Army.

It's not a stretch to say this could very easily be a 7-2 or 6-3 team with this defense. All the credit to the offense for making enough winning plays.

Correct - I don't see much "Wake-Foresty" in the result in Chapel Hill.

We've been playing with fire over the past month with the way the defense has played (or not played). The difference is the offense made the plays to bail us out against L'ville, Syracuse and Army.

It's not a stretch to say this could very easily be a 7-2 or 6-3 team with this defense. All the credit to the offense for making enough winning plays.

Yea lets be real. We could've lost to Ville or Cuse. With this defense we are fielding we are playing with fire late in games and we got burned finally.

Having our undefeated season broken by UNC hurts like hell, but if we were gonna drop one may as well have it be in a "non-conference" game.

The “Old Wake Forest try” is you get up 14-0 on smoke and mirrors and trick plays then other team wakes up and you lose 49-17. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Mack Brown-coached team this well prepared in 15 years. Also- don’t think I’ve ever seen him as serious and engaged during a game in 15 years. Sucks we lost but they didn’t take this one lightly - sign of how far we’ve come as a program. They were the ones having to resort to trick plays (which we blew up nicely) and counting on us to make boneheaded penalties to keep pace. It was a reversal of roles for sure and hey - that’s refreshing.

The “Old Wake Forest try” is you get up 14-0 on smoke and mirrors and trick plays then other team wakes up and you lose 49-17. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Mack Brown-coached team this well prepared in 15 years. Also- don’t think I’ve ever seen him as serious and engaged during a game in 15 years. Sucks we lost but they didn’t take this one lightly - sign of how far we’ve come as a program. They were the ones having to resort to trick plays (which we blew up nicely) and counting on us to make boneheaded penalties to keep pace. It was a reversal of roles for sure and hey - that’s refreshing.

And their fans then rushed the field. As you said, it was a really big game for them too.

Big time football means you can take a hit without folding. We are Wake Forest and can handle a little setback.

Agree with this.

Based on comments from Clawson and Maginn, entire team let the UNCCH hoopla get under their skin. WF played too emotionally and didn’t stick to their own game especially on D.

Based on comments from Clawson and Maginn, entire team let the UNCCH hoopla get under their skin. WF played too emotionally and didn’t stick to their own game especially on D.

I mean I guess so, but it's the fact we got control of the game and let it slip away the same as last year. It's not like we laid an egg, if anything I wonder if we relaxed once we got up by 18 in the 3rd quarter. Whatever happened, hopefully they learned from it.

Sometimes a loss or setback is what a team or person needs to really dial it in. Let's hope that the case.

It was a 3 point loss on the road against a primary rival. Not the end of the world. And if Wake responds and handles business against the rest of the schedule, I'll still take us being in the CFP discussion.

I mean I guess so, but it's the fact we got control of the game and let it slip away the same as last year. It's not like we laid an egg, if anything I wonder if we relaxed once we got up by 18 in the 3rd quarter. Whatever happened, hopefully they learned from it.

We did not relax. We totally lost our poise.

We did not relax. We totally lost our poise.

WF had the ball on its own 25, down 3 with more than two minutes to go and all three timeouts. WF has arguably the most prolific offense in the country, and UNC's defense is below average. Even at that point, the probabilities greatly favored WF.

The offense ran 6 plays going:

- Incomplete pass
- 11 yard completion to the 36 to Roberson
- Incomplete pass
- Batted down pass
- Incomplete pass
- Incomplete pass

UNC's defense was ready to crack again (WF scored a TD in 4 plays on its next possession; after Chandler's TD). That 6 play sequence was so uncharacteristic and disappointing. Yes, feel like everyone lost their poise (players and coaches). That was the situation that this offense was built to succeed in. Still can't believe that sequence.

Back