• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Commander will kill us all

I like how RJ has tried to swap out “biotch” for “bitch,” I presume in an attempt to seem less misogynist.

174164.jpg

If you can explain to me how my political ideology is at all similar to RW ideology, by all means...

Otherwise, this is dumb.

"everyone is wrong except meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"
The people who won't demand justice and equality are wrong. If that's "everyone" to you, then you really need to get out of your bubble.

My regards for politics and legislation is directly influenced by the political activists I admire the most, particularly right now Dr. William Barber, who re-organized the "Poor Peoples Campaign", that Martin Luther King had started before he was killed.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/...takes-on-poverty-and-race-in-the-age-of-trump
“We surely want to influence the 2018 midterm elections and the 2020 Presidential election,” Theoharis told me. But they do not plan to endorse candidates or to cast their lot with either of the major political parties. They want to change the political conversation around poverty, to create a climate in which it is impossible for any candidate or party to continue ignoring the subject. In this they have as much in common with the Occupy Movement as with the original Poor People’s Campaign."
..."The impact is traumatic, and not simply in a historical sense. Barber told me, “We should be traumatized by the idea that something like this can be seen as normal, and think about the wrongs we’ve become accustomed to today.”

..."He again charged his listeners with avoiding the hypocrisy of commemorating the victims of the past while failing to build a movement to address the present. We must pay homage, he said, “to all those who continued to fight, even after they saw the bodies swinging from trees. But there are all kinds of things swinging in the air today”—hunger, police violence, and the hundreds of thousands of deaths each year linked to poverty-related causes. "

Last edited:
Quick PSA – and mind you, this is coming from a woman who desperately wants more women, and in particular liberal women, to be elected to office:

Women who support more women being elected into office are not required to endorse every woman that runs for office.

Carry on.

Thank you, avalon. We need women who will be the best candidates and support the best candidates, not women who will fall in line behind whichever woman.

Even if the man is not the best candidate, women are allowed to endorse him. Women in politics are human beings and are allowed to have existing relationships with men that they choose to support. Criticize their endorsements all you want, but do it based on the positions and the candidates.

Thank you, avalon. We need women who will be the best candidates and support the best candidates, not women who will fall in line behind whichever woman.
"the best". Jesus Christ. Any fucking way to excuse yourself from supporting progressive candidates. Women and minorities are only useful when they're establishment loyalists. Identity is just the preferred window dressing for the "pragmatic" choice.

Even if the man is not the best candidate, women are allowed to endorse him. Women in politics are human beings and are allowed to have existing relationships with men that they choose to support. Criticize their endorsements all you want, but do it based on the positions and the candidates.

In case it wasn't clear, in the case of Gillibrand and Ocasio-Cortez/Nixon, I am criticizing the endorsements on the positions. I agree with your general point.

"the best". Jesus Christ. Any fucking way to excuse yourself from supporting progressive candidates. Women and minorities are only useful when they're establishment loyalists. Identity is just the preferred window dressing for the "pragmatic" choice.

so much for women making their own decisions

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Litmus Tests for everyone

You’re horrible at parsing language. “The best” doesn’t mean “not progressive.”

“The best” means meets whatever criteria you use to decide on your candidate beyond simply being a woman.

I wouldn’t expect a progressive woman to choose Gillibrand over a progressive man just like I wouldn’t expect Gillibrand to choose a progressive woman over a centrist man.

In case it wasn't clear, in the case of Gillibrand and Ocasio-Cortez/Nixon, I am criticizing the endorsements on the positions. I agree with your general point.

That's fine, the first tweet in the post makes it seem otherwise.

Back