• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Commander will kill us all

in what countries is this false?

that's a fair point

here in Chicago, the last two mayors - Rahm and Daley - and the last current governor and governor-elect don't have the force of personality leading them to victory.

in fact most of them won in spite of zero or off-putting personalities

The Democratic Party Wants to Make Climate Policy Exciting

I have come to think of this tension as climate policy’s Boring as Dirt problem: the bad problem. The bad problem recognizes that climate change is an interesting challenge. It is scary and massive and apocalyptic, and its attendant disasters (especially hurricanes, wildfires, and floods) make for good TV. But the policies that will address climate change do not pack the same punch. They are technical and technocratic and quite often dull. At the very least, they will never be as immediate as climate change itself. Floods are powerful, but stormwater management is arcane. Wildfires are ravenous, but electrical-grid upgrades are tedious. Climate change is frightening, but dirt is boring. That’s the bad problem.

Fixing climate change will include lots of technocratic tweaks, lots of bills about dirt. They will be hard to defend against later repeal. So it would be nice if lawmakers could wed them to a new benefit, a superpower that people will fight for years after passage. Hence the job guarantee—a universal promise of employment meant to win over Americans in general and create more union jobs in particular.

Rahm is an asshole. I wouldn’t put Pelosi, Reid, Schumer, or Booker in that group. They aren’t very likable. I can see why some like Booker. I think he’s a bit of an empty suit. Not robotic like Rubio though.

style over substance is definitely the American way

doesn't mean I'mma like it
Exactly. No thanks on skim milk Obama. I'm sure he's fun to have a beer with, but I dont give a fuck if the President skateboards. Voting yes on the military budget and the glass steagal deregulations is a no-go. We already had a "cool" centrist president. The results weren't great.

Who you got?
I still think it will be Kamala Harris. I'll vote for the most progressive primary candidate, and then hold my nose and vote for whatever empty suit gets the nom.

I like Senator Claire Huxtable a lot, but I don't think it will be her. I just don't see it being some one from California or the Northeast.

MDMH, who do you want the nominee to be? Is there a relatively unknown progressive who could capture our imaginations. I did see that Andrew Gillum was talking to do Obama's people for advice.

I had this conversation with a friend who is pretty active in area politics. Her choice was Gavin Newsome. I told her I thought he checked a lot of boxes. He's experienced yet relatively unknown around the country. But being the ex-husband of Don Jr's girlfriend makes him a pretty tough sell.

Last edited:
Why can’t it be someone from CA or the Northeast? Why do Democrats overthink every goddamn thing? If Kamala Harris proves to be the best choice, then she will be the best choice, whether it’s in Iowa, Kansas, Florida, New York, wherever. Same with Elizabeth Warren. Same with Joe Biden. Box checking is old news. If we go into the primary disqualifying candidates before they get a chance to show what they stand for, what they can be, then we have not learned a damned thing from 2018.

We're just making projections. Very early projections.

I like Senator Claire Huxtable a lot, but I don't think it will be her. I just don't see it being some one from California or the Northeast.

MDMH, who do you want the nominee to be? Is there a relatively unknown progressive who could capture our imaginations. I did see that Andrew Gillum was talking to do Obama's people for advice.

I had this conversation with a friend who is pretty active in area politics. Her choice was Gavin Newsome. I told her I thought he checked a lot of boxes. He's experienced yet relatively unknown around the country. But being the ex-husband of Don Jr's girlfriend makes him a pretty tough sell.

What???? He was married to guilfoyle???? I had no idea.

I’m pretty sure my parents are friends with his parents. I had no idea he was in discussions for president. How much do you want to bet Fox News harps on the fact that he is divorced and doesn’t match American Values.

What's the deal with calling her Clair Huxtable? Never seen that before.

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Blue Wave Edition

What's the deal with calling her Clair Huxtable? Never seen that before.

Claire Huxtable was one of the main characters on The Cosby Show. It was one of the most popular TV shows of the 80s and early 90s. Claire was a high power attorney and mother of five. The character was played by Phylicia Rashad.

I much prefer Gillum to Beto. I prefer Stacey Abrams too for that matter. I mean, if we are considering popular losing candidates that out performed Hillary in the south, I don't know why Beto is the only one being considered. Regarding Newsome, I dont know enough to comment, but a few people on twitter I trust seem to approve of him.

Because Beto was in the House before he ran as opposed to state or local government.

I much prefer Gillum to Beto. I prefer Stacey Abrams too for that matter. I mean, if we are considering popular losing candidates that out performed Hillary in the south, I don't know why Beto is the only one being considered. Regarding Newsome, I dont know enough to comment, but a few people on twitter I trust seem to approve of him.

Gillum lost in Florida. His race was very winnable. He couldn't win a 50-50 (maybe +1-2 GOP) state in this environment? Beto and Abrams had much larger hills to climb.

Gillum lost in Florida. His race was very winnable. He couldn't win a 50-50 (maybe +1-2 GOP) state in this environment? Beto and Abrams had much larger hills to climb.

I agree although Gillum performed better than the last several Dem gov candidates.

By that measure, Ojeda outperformed Beto with an older, whiter, less educated constituency. Lets not pretend that Beto isn't a Dem establishment darling for some very specific reasons. They would love nothing more than to clear the field for a charismatic moderate who will fall in line.

Back