• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Stopped in the new Field & Stream store that opened yesterday. Pretty efficient; they have a take a number system to handle all the people buying guns. And it's about 20 people deep right now.

Toddler gun rush FTMFW!

http://www.kwch.com/news/local-news/salina-police-investigate-theater-shooting/35892080

"This guy started shouting 'Oh my God, I just shot myself! I just got my concealed and carry,' and then everybody jumped up and that's when we heard call 9-11.
According to Salina police, the man accidentally shot himself once in the leg.
"You could feel the concussion of the shot," Domenic said. "I mean you know being in a movie theatre it's a surreal situation, and I don't believe anybody really expects it to be a gunshot."
"As soon as it registered and I realized it was a gun, it scared me," Heather said.
The couple said they support the state's current law which went into effect July 1, allowing gun owners to conceal and carry without requiring any training or having a permit.
"I believe in protecting yourself, but it is scary knowing they're in public places," Heather said. "I feel absolutely terrible for the gentleman that shot himself, but the first thing I thought of was thank God he didn't shoot anybody else."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-life/wp/2015/10/16/a-75-year-old-man-saved-children-from-knife-attack-during-chess-club/

When crazy comes armed with a knife, it can be stopped by a determined 75-year old veteran with bum knees.

If this guy had come in armed with two handguns instead of two knives, we'd be reading about more dead kids this morning and Obama would be giving another futile press conference.

We can't eradicate crazy or evil from the world, but it's a hell of lot better to confront it when it's armed with a knife than when it's armed with a gun.

There needs to be some standard of punishment in these situations. It seems like in a few cases a parent is hauled off to jail. In others, the authorities just shrug their shoulders and nothing happens. Parents should be held responsible, but at the same time, it is tragic for a kid who accidentally killed a sibling, other family member, or friend to lose a parent as well.

I really don't know what the answer is. I guess it's because I don't think there's any punishment that will reduce the instances of accidental shootings in the home because all of these people think they're responsible until the second something happens.

i mean, how else can we help responsible gun owners if not by taking guns from the gun-rich criminals and giving them to the gun-poor?

Last edited:
it hurts to think that the life of an innocent gun might be brutally ended by a government funded agency. we should defund all police departments that destroy guns.

There needs to be some standard of punishment in these situations. It seems like in a few cases a parent is hauled off to jail. In others, the authorities just shrug their shoulders and nothing happens. Parents should be held responsible, but at the same time, it is tragic for a kid who accidentally killed a sibling, other family member, or friend to lose a parent as well.

I really don't know what the answer is. I guess it's because I don't think there's any punishment that will reduce the instances of accidental shootings in the home because all of these people think they're responsible until the second something happens.
If we punish parents who leave their kids in hot cars we should punish ones who leave loaded guns around their kids

4 year old killed in road rage shooting
http://www.koat.com/news/heavy-police-presence-closes-i40-west-at-unser/35947470

1. Motorists with guns are more likely to act aggressively (Arizona)

Using data from a telephone survey in Arizona, we examined the relationship between road rage and gun carrying in motor vehicles. We found that self-reported hostile actions (e.g. obscene gestures, cursing or shouting, aggressively tailgating) were more common among men, young adults, and individuals who carried a firearm in their car.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/firearms-research/youth-and-guns/

There is no punishment to a parent that will be worse than losing their child. If the threat of someone's child getting its hands on a gun isn't enough to get them to keep them safe, I doubt the threat of jail time will. They should lose all right to own guns. Maybe some sort of community service?

The average gun owner now owns 8 guns — double what it used to be

That's scary! Although the positive news in there is that the number of households with guns has decreased sine the 90s.

Back