• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

but doesn't incarceration infringe on their right to own and bear arms ?

But those aren't law-abiding citizens, they are criminals !

09-roll-safe.w710.h473.jpg

Every high school (kids) should stage a national walk out day. Get it out on social media. Let their voices be heard.

Communities need to start organizing entire schools to come to Washington and lobby. If the pro-lifers can flood the city once a year, there's no reason that those for sensible gun control can't. Can you imagine if the entire student body from Marjory Stoneman showed up in Paul Ryan's office to ask him why their classmates lives were worth less than the NRA contributions to his campaign?

It can be done.

Even if kids do it one state at a time. Others will follow.

Btw, my kids went to private school and we aren’t a bunch of gun loving nuts. Just saying.

I wasn't suggesting that you are, but plenty of conservative gun nut kids are homeschooled or attend private evangelical christian schools in the south.

Communities need to start organizing entire schools to come to Washington and lobby. If the pro-lifers can flood the city once a year, there's no reason that those for sensible gun control can't. Can you imagine if the entire student body from Marjory Stoneman showed up in Paul Ryan's office to ask him why their classmates lives were worth less than the NRA contributions to his campaign?

They should just sit on the floor and wait with him on the facts to come in before we rush into a knee-jerk reaction.

If you’re a disciplinary problem you’re kicked out. Zero tolerance policy.

I think this proposal would require some fleshing out.

What kind of "disciplinary problem?" exactly. When is it appropriate to try and help a troubled person and when do you give up and expel? Surely we wouldn't be better off as a society expelling anyone for any "problem".

their lives don't equal actual dollars in his account.

That would actually be a really interesting protest movement, but I'm not sure you could get enough participation, because the gun nuts' kids are homeschooled or in private schools. If you had millions of kids refusing to go to school until their was action taken on guns, I wonder if it would move the needle?

No. Conservatives are gutting public education. They would paint the kids and teachers as lazy liberals who don’t want to go to school and want to take your guns.

The second amendment is antiquated, hopelessly outdated, far more a problem than anything beneficial.

It needs to be regulated far better or gotten rid of. The former seems more doable.

This is a list of Representatives that have received more than $100,000 from the gun lobby during their time in Congress, plus the highest Democrat:

XagP4gh.png

kCbVfPB.png

Maybe it's just me but this doesn't seem like that much money to sell your soul over. Divide out Ryan's number by years in office and it's less than $20k a year. Fucker will whore out for just $20k a year?

Maybe it's just me but this doesn't seem like that much money to sell your soul over. Divide out Ryan's number by years in office and it's less than $20k a year. Fucker will whore out for just $20k a year?

There's a also a lot of PAC money and "independent expenditures" in play here. http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/oct/11/counting-up-how-much-nra-spends/. They run millions and millions in advertising advocating on behalf of their preferred candidates paid for directly by NRA and not run through campaigns.

Here's a list by politician that includes the outside expenditures supporting that politician. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/10/04/opinion/thoughts-prayers-nra-funding-senators.html Burr has received almost $7 million, Tillis $4.5 million.

Last edited:
Predictably, now is not the time to talk about guns. Thanks, Paul Ryan.

"This is one of those moments where we just need to step back and count our blessings," he told reporters Thursday at a news conference at the Capitol. "We need to think less about taking sides and fighting each other politically, and just pulling together. This House, and the whole country, stands with the Parkland community."

Fuck Paul Ryan.

How, exactly, Mr. Ryan, are you “standing with” the victims?

You are in a position to actually do something to help reduce opportunities for this shit to happen.

I'd say we need to vote this asshole out of office since it seems like he's not actually quitting, but that means relying on the people from Wisconsin who got their widdle feewings hurt in 2016 and didn't vote for Hillary. so, good luck there.

Paul Ryan's opponent, go here, click donate:

https://www.randybryceforcongress.com/

When talking about this issues, what’s often ignored is that there are thousands of kids with PTSD today that they will carry with them for the rest of their lives. In 2-4 weeks, there will likely be thousands more. If we have a mental health problem here (we do), the guns certainly aren’t helping.

This is a heart-breaking read:

Twelve seconds of gunfire
In tiny Townville, S.C., first-graders are haunted by what they survived — and lost — on a school playground

There's a also a lot of PAC money and "independent expenditures" in play here. http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/oct/11/counting-up-how-much-nra-spends/. They run millions and millions in advertising advocating on behalf of their preferred candidates paid for directly by NRA and not run through campaigns.

Here's a list by politician that includes the outside expenditures supporting that politician. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/10/04/opinion/thoughts-prayers-nra-funding-senators.html Burr has received almost $7 million, Tillis $4.5 million.

A visual:

nra-2016.png

I think this proposal would require some fleshing out.

What kind of "disciplinary problem?" exactly. When is it appropriate to try and help a troubled person and when do you give up and expel? Surely we wouldn't be better off as a society expelling anyone for any "problem".[/QUOTE

Sadly, the problem child isn’t helped unless the school has the resources.

You’re given a student/parent handbook. The rules are rules. One, two, three strikes you’re out.

COR - civility, order, respect. That’s it.

No, thanks. This just criminalizes poor and minority students and funnels those kids into prisons.

Yeah, I get the sentiment and desire for law and order.

But what constitutes “three strikes”—being tardy? Littering?

Anyhow, this shooter was expelled. So not sure that’s necessarily a solution to these shootings.

Back