• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Solid apology. He didn't do the "I apologize that you were offended." He specifically stated how he messed up.

Dayton, Ohio, shooter kept a "hit list" and "rape list," classmates say

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dayton...pe-list-bellbrook-high-school-classmates-say/

Gun control includes saying that guy shouldn't be able to legally buy a gun. It's not a difficult premise.

On the one hand you are absolutely right, people who are demonstrably deranged or mentally ill shouldn't be allowed to buy guns. On the other hand, exactly what type of government apparatus is going to be able to sufficiently determine the mental health of everyone? A keyword scan of criminal records, school records, and social media seems woefully insufficient.

That article makes some points but it’s some tone death all sides BS. Mentioning the one woman mass shooter who participated with her husband to claim this isn’t a uniquely male problem? C’mon.

The article is making a very specific point. That point is "it's the guns, stupid". The writer is not trying to claim that it's not a male problem, or not a white supremacist problem, or any of that. He is pointing out that no matter who the shooter is or what they believe, ready access to guns is the problem that ties all of them together.

Furthermore, it's the only part of the problem that we can realistically do anything about. We can't ban or regulate angry white males from existing, or from self-radicalizing on the internets. But we can keep them from getting their hands on assault weapons.

On the one hand you are absolutely right, people who are demonstrably deranged or mentally ill shouldn't be allowed to buy guns. On the other hand, exactly what type of government apparatus is going to be able to sufficiently determine the mental health of everyone? A keyword scan of criminal records, school records, and social media seems woefully insufficient.

We don't have to determine the mental health of everyone, but we should make sure people who have been determined to be a threat to others can't legally get a gun. This isn't people after the fact saying "Oh yeah, that guy scared me." This guy was punished for threatening other people. Can you imagine being a freshman girl in HS, 13 or 14 years old and finding out some guy you barely know put you on his "rape list?"

Agreed. We don't even have a functional mental health system in this country. In most places your best chance at getting mental health treatment is getting yourself arrested for acting out. There is no way we're going to be able to build any kind of a database that works for this purpose.

The gun lobby, of course, is well aware of this. That's why they are so willing to deflect gun violence onto "mental illness", because they know nothing in that regard will ever dent their sales. The reality is that guns have be much harder to get for everyone, not just the mentally ill or those with a criminal record.

I’m glad that our problem of both guns and mental health seems to have a solution of do nothing about either.

We could start with better funding for mental health in schools.

We don't have to determine the mental health of everyone, but we should make sure people who have been determined to be a threat to others can't legally get a gun. This isn't people after the fact saying "Oh yeah, that guy scared me." This guy was punished for threatening other people. Can you imagine being a freshman girl in HS, 13 or 14 years old and finding out some guy you barely know put you on his "rape list?"

I don't know man, I just don't trust our government to preemptively take away constitutional rights from people based on shit they did as children. Sure in this case a mass murder would have been prevented, but you know damn well the vast majority of targets for that apparatus would be black school children.

^^ update, her husband also died in the shooting. (Also the baby she shielded was two months old, not two years.)

Dbup4c_VwAEn4jj.jpg

Here is an interesting provision of the Texas Penal Code:

Texas Penal Code 7.02: A person is criminally responsible for an offense committed by another if acting with intent to promote or assist the commission of the offense, he solicits, encourages, directs, aids, or attempts to aid the other person to commit the offense.

We don't have to determine the mental health of everyone, but we should make sure people who havebeen determined to be a threat to others can't legally get a gun. This isn't people after the fact saying "Oh yeah, that guy scared me." This guy was punished for threatening other people. Can you imagine being a freshman girl in HS, 13 or 14 years old and finding out some guy you barely know put you on his "rape list?"

He was punished by whom? The school? I don’t know whether something like that would show up on a background check. Agencies who run the checks look for criminal records, verify education, motor vehicle records, etc. But would the guy’s disciplinary record from high school sho up?

He was punished by whom? The school? I don’t know whether something like that would show up on a background check. Agencies who run the checks look for criminal records, verify education, motor vehicle records, etc. But would the guy’s disciplinary record from high school sho up?

No. That’s the point. There should be a red flag for that.

I mean, it goes on his permanent record.

Mike Huckabee weighs in and says that only thoughts and prayers will solve the problem of mass shootings. Passing legislation to deal with these shootings is just "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic." Not the best metaphor, Mike.

Also, The Wall Street Journal (not exactly a liberal media outlet) did a study in 2015 of the 10 US states with the worst gun violence. Of the 10 states, only one, New Mexico, was a blue state. The other 9 states were all solidly red - Tennessee, Oklahoma, Wyoming, Arkansas (Huckabees!), Montana, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alaska (#1). Go figure.

Link: https://247wallst.com/special-report/2015/06/10/10-states-with-the-most-gun-violence/4/

Watching Putin's Puppet's talk from this morning something really stood out to me. He stated "the nation" should disavow bigotry, hatred and white supremacists. He never said "I disavow".

You can bet the Richard Spencers, David Dukes, neo-Nazis and other white supremacists heard the fact that their Dear Leader didn't disavow their vile beliefs and actions. They see he's on their side.

Trump winked and nodded at the fires of hatred he is intentionally flaming. He hasn't moved one millimeter from his passionate white supremacy and bigotry.

Mike Huckabee weighs in and says that only thoughts and prayers will solve the problem of mass shootings. Passing legislation to deal with these shootings is just "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic." Not the best metaphor, Mike.

Also, The Wall Street Journal (not exactly a liberal media outlet) did a study in 2015 of the 10 US states with the worst gun violence. Of the 10 states, only one, New Mexico, was a blue state. The other 9 states were all solidly red - Tennessee, Oklahoma, Wyoming, Arkansas (Huckabees!), Montana, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alaska (#1). Go figure.

Link: https://247wallst.com/special-report/2015/06/10/10-states-with-the-most-gun-violence/4/

Alaska is also one of a few states with a majority men.

Obviously, them reds ain’t prayin’ ‘nough.

I saw a list of the 20 states with the worst gun violence and I think NM was the only blue state.

Back