• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

My understanding is you are almost correct. Blunt instruments of all types kill more than rifles of all types. Hence I stated hammers and AR 15s.

Yes, we understand that your statement was inaccurate. You don’t need to explain to us how you were wrong. You seem to be twisting real hard to make a really dumb point.

My understanding is you are almost correct. Blunt instruments of all types kill more than rifles of all types. Hence I stated hammers and AR 15s.

Please Hammer, don’t hurt ‘em

a01c4a4d5769a5a579802d11e084c305.jpg

"Stop! AR-15 time!" just doesn't have the same ring to it

Yes, we understand that your statement was inaccurate. You don’t need to explain to us how you were wrong. You seem to be twisting real hard to make a really dumb point.

Nice.
You speak for all other posters.
Or maybe that is the royal 'we',

My "dumb Post" was made in response to Phd's post. I suggest you read it.

Give me a rational reason for more gun control.

Nice.
You speak for all other posters.
Or maybe that is the royal 'we',

My "dumb Post" was made in response to Phd's post. I suggest you read it.

Give me a rational reason for more gun control.

We have the highest gun violence rates in the world by massive factors.

Even Scalia said in Heller, that gun regulations were constitutional.

There are products that have no purpose other than killing.

Recently a couple of criminals masqueraded as Lyft drivers and committed serious crimes. These incidents got some headlines, but were, and remain, extremely isolated incidents.

The NC Legislature just responded to these incidents by unanimously passing a law requiring all rideshare drivers to put front license plates on their cars (which are not usually required in NC, for those who don't remember/know) and requiring them to have a lighted sign in the car. In other words, recognizing the harm that can be caused by malign actors, the legislature imposed costs and restrictions on all law-abiding rideshare drivers in the interest of the safety of the public.

A couple years ago, a negligent Florida nursing home allowed several residents to perish in the heat after a hurricane cut the power, even though a fully functioning air conditioned hospital was literally across the street. In reaction, Florida mandated that every single nursing home and assisted living facility in Florida install generators to run air conditioning. My company alone spent almost $2,000,000 to comply with this mandate. The total cost across Florida has not been reported, but I bet it approaches a billion dollars. The generator companies were pretty happy.

One could cite countless examples of similar legislative reaction to isolated tragic harms/deaths. And yet we have about one mass shooting a day at this point, tens of thousands of Americans are killed every year by guns, and we are told that no legislative reaction is possible because we can't inconvenience law abiding gun owners, or new laws wouldn't help, or NRA, or Second Amendment, or 30-40 feral hogs, or whatever. It's sickening.

Last edited:
I guess the tree of liberty has to be watered by the blood of schoolchildren, concertgoers, and WalMart shoppers.

Ohio man posted about mass shootings, attacking Planned Parenthood and federal agents, authorities say

Federal prosecutors on Monday charged a Boardman man with making threats against law enforcement, following an investigation that revealed he voiced his support online of mass shootings and lived in a house with 25 guns and 10,000 rounds of ammunition, records show.

Olsen used the handle “ArmyOfChrist” as his moniker on iFunny, a website where people can posts memes, photos and statements on a variety of topics. There, he told fellow users that he supported mass shootings and attacks on Planned Parenthood, according to an affidavit written by FBI agent Themistocles Tsarnas.

So an 18 year old has 25 guns and 10,000 rounds of ammunition, posted support for mass shootings and attacking Planned Parenthood but he was only arrested for saying he would shoot a federal agent.

More evidence the laws aren’t meant to protect us.

There are two points we've reached a society where I've given up on meaningful gun reform.

1. Sandy Hook
2. Where we can't get everyone to agree that having more guns equals more gun deaths

The former showed we simply don't care (nor do we have the political will) as a society what costs guns impose because we have a percentage of the population that fancies themselves sheriffs from the wild west. The latter indicates why we can't have a meaningful conversation about guns. Beyond simply being common sense (of course if we vastly increase the prevalence of an item relative to other countries, the effects of that item are going to be increased in our country) we have statistics on the matter:

Firearm Death Rate Versus Firearm Ownership Rate by State, 2013
FR_fig5.png

Last edited:
I can't believe Lindsey the Lapdog didn't mention zombie apocalypse as a reason for having an AR-15.

I'd be interested to know if there is a better fit variable for gun death rate per 100k than gun ownership rate which does not also include access to firearms as a part of the variable.

Back