• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Maybe you should just be proactive and read the article that I was talking about first before posting.

By the way, I live at 1025 Cross Gate Road in Winston-Salem. I'll be watching the Daytona 500 in about an hour. You are cordially invited to come watch it with me. Beers or other refreshments are on me.

there's actually a 1/2 decent chance i'd have come if I was in 3-4 right now. i do not like NASCAR though. Do like beer.

i stopped reading after the first sentence when I heard something to the effect of "multiple thugs with guns bent on causing harm [to people?]." I thought that was reasonable to stop there, but, touche. I'll skim better next time (seriously).

Now about that article, I imagine that either happened in a neighborhood very much unlike yours, there are specific extenuating circumstances (someone is running drugs), or this is just a freak occurrence. These sorts of things only happen in areas with active gangs or with individuals active in drug trafficking. the economically destitute are not looking to add murder to their list of problems.

Have we as a society determined that death is a valid punishment for breaking and entering?

It's a valid basis for the homeowner who doesn't know the intruder's intentions to protect himself or herself. It doesn't mean it's a valid punishment. The two are not the same. That said, I think there's also a difference between saying someone deserved the consequences of their own harmful actions and celebrating the result.

It's a valid basis for the homeowner who doesn't know the intruder's intentions to protect himself or herself. It doesn't mean it's a valid punishment. The two are not the same. That said, I think there's also a difference between saying someone deserved the consequences of their own harmful actions and celebrating the result.

I agree with this post. It's a strawman to argue for stricter gun laws by pointing out that B&E doesn't get the death penalty. The right to defend your home has been enshrined in American law forever, and American criminals are well aware of the fact that entering an occupied home exposes them to the risk of an early and violent death. I think that fact is a large part of the reason why breakins to occupied homes are much more common in Britain than in the US.

On the other hand, that DOES NOT mean that everyone needs an arsenal of military weapons to defend themselves from criminals, which is the strawman on the opposite side of the spectrum.

I agree with this post. It's a strawman to argue for stricter gun laws by pointing out that B&E doesn't get the death penalty. The right to defend your home has been enshrined in American law forever, and American criminals are well aware of the fact that entering an occupied home exposes them to the risk of an early and violent death. I think that fact is a large part of the reason why breakins to occupied homes are much more common in Britain than in the US.

On the other hand, that DOES NOT mean that everyone needs an arsenal of military weapons to defend themselves from criminals, which is the strawman on the opposite side of the spectrum.

Absolutely. I am 100% in favor of stricter gun control, but I will never say that someone doesn't have the right to own a gun to protect their own home within certain reasonable limits. That includes limits on the type of gun one can own, clips, registration, and responsible storage. If you live in government-owned housing, the government (AKA the landlord) should be able to restrict gun ownership. And as many on this thread have pointed out, a shotgun is more effective for about 95% of people out there anyway when it comes to protecting one's home. Furthermore, people need to realize that the illegal guns on the street start out as legal guns. They become illegal guns through straw purchases, third party sales, and thefts - and if you don't think that being a gun owner makes you a burglary TARGET then you're sorely mistaken.

The dog was pissed the guy didn't let him hump the leg. Now no one gets to use that one.

another whacko with a gun:

http://news.yahoo.com/cops-grandma-shot-self-young-grandsons-car-145334468.html

grandmother in CT picks up 2 grandsons from daycare on older one's 2nd bday. instead of going home, shoots them and herself. bipolar.

i just hate people sometimes.

Why in the hell would you let a person with known, documented mental health issues like what is being described anywhere near your kids, much less trust that person to pick them up from daycare?

This does raise another point for the gun control crowd: this is an example of why there should be some mechanism to revoke a person's ability to own firearms. Whether it be some sort of periodic re-certification that has to occur to possess a firearm, or giving the authorities the ability to obtain a warrant to confiscate a person's weapons once they are diagnosed with a mental health concern, there have to be mechanisms to keep guns out of a person like this woman's hands.

This does raise another point for the gun control crowd: this is an example of why there should be some mechanism to revoke a person's ability to own firearms. Whether it be some sort of periodic re-certification that has to occur to possess a firearm, or giving the authorities the ability to obtain a warrant to confiscate a person's weapons once they are diagnosed with a mental health concern, there have to be mechanisms to keep guns out of a person like this woman's hands.

Good point but gun nuts will still say no way no how. Slopes are slippery when it comes to guns.

Good point but gun nuts will still say no way no how. Slopes are slippery when it comes to guns.

Just what is a "gun nut"? I get tired of seeing the pejorative term "gun nuts." It paints a whole category of people with a broad brush and places people who might otherwise be perfectly open to discussion on the defensive.

I own several firearms and place great value on my right to own a gun. However, I am in complete agreement with Deadbolt's suggestion above, along with the suggestions of many others on this thread regarding limitation on magazine capacity, requirements to use gun safes, etc.

I also believe that it would be beneficial for there to be some sort of requirement to take classes/demonstrate a minimum level of proficiency with any firearm that one may own. Sort of like a driver's education for firearm ownership. I believe that lot of the accidents, etc. that you see involve folks who have never had any real training with firearms and know next to nothing about how to clean, clear, maintain, store, and use their weapons, to include hitting anything with it. What good is having a handgun for home defense if you don't know how to use it safely and cannot hit the broad side of a barn with it?

If you haven't done so, I would recommend reading the article that Deacon923 posted on this thread about a week or so ago.

Last edited:
Just what is a "gun nut"? I get tired of seeing the pejorative term "gun nuts." It paints a whole category of people with a broad brush and places people who might otherwise be perfectly open to discussion on the defensive.

I own several firearms and place great value on my right to own a gun. However, I am in complete agreement with Deadbolt's suggestion above, along with the suggestions of many others on this thread regarding limitation on magazine capacity, requirements to use gun safes, etc.

I also believe that there it would be beneficial for there to be some sort of requirement to take classes/demonstrate a minimum level of proficiency with any firearm that one may own. Sort of like a driver's education for firearm ownership. I believe that lot of the accidents, etc. that you see involve folks who have never had any real training with firearms and know next to nothing about how to clean, clear, maintain, store, and use their weapons, to include hitting anything with it. What good is having a handgun for home defense if you don't know how to use it safely and cannot hit the broad side of a barn with it?

If you haven't done so, I would recommend reading the article that Deacon923 posted on this threat about a week or so ago.

I would not classify you as a gun nut. Most of the guys I play softball with are gun nuts.

Then you're nut a gun nut

Someone who is nuts about guns. Same way it's used for any other hobby or activity.

Still, help me understand what sort of person classifies as a gun nut in your mind.

Someone who is irrational about gun policy and ignores the harms that irresponsible gun owners can bring to society.

This guy is a gun nut.

https://www.facebook.com/moabhunting?ref=ts&fref=ts

The person who tagged "we have too many kids" is a gun nut.

I love guns and blowing up shit as much as any other red-blooded American male, but after Newtown my view has definitely changed. I'm for a lot more gov't regulation like restrictions on high-capacity mags, closing the gun show loophole and registration.

Back