• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Have we as a society determined that death is a valid punishment for breaking and entering?

Shall we calmly ask if they have a firearm or other weapon with which to do us harm first, as they break in our house? What should we do when someone slams through the front door and pushes dad on the floor? Call 911 and wait 10-20 minutes for someone to get there?

The only problem with the story I posted is that he didn't get all three. The other two pieces of crap will be right back at it if they ever get out of prison. Hopefully they're charged with felony murder and never see the outside of a prison again.

Shall we calmly ask if they have a firearm or other weapon with which to do us harm first, as they break in our house? What should we do when someone slams through the front door and pushes dad on the floor? Call 911 and wait 10-20 minutes for someone to get there?

The only problem with the story I posted is that he didn't get all three. The other two pieces of crap will be right back at it if they ever get out of prison. Hopefully they're charged with felony murder and never see the outside of a prison again.

Maybe everyone should have weapons that can incapacitate a person without killing them. That seems more useful.

Why would the other two be charged with murder?

Maybe everyone should have weapons that can incapacitate a person without killing them. That seems more useful.

Are you actually serious here? What sort of nonlethal force/weapons are you contemplating that everyone ought to have in order to be able to (successfully) protect themselves in the event of a break-in by multiple thugs bent on doing harm?

Reasonable minds can differ (and have on this thread) about the use of firearms to protect oneself, but the story posted by SMU seems to me to be a clear example of the reasonable use of a firearm to protect innocents within the confines of their own home.

Also, have you never heard of the felony murder rule?

I have no problem with shooting the guys who break into the house. However, even if there were three guys, if had 10-12 rounds, you's have plenty to protect yourself.

You don't need 20 or 30 or 100 capacity.

An AK47 or AR 15 is far less useful than a handgun in such a situation. The only was it would have any value is if you left the assault weapon by your bed, loaded and able to shoot.

If people did that had kids, my guess is more kids and family members would be shot than burglars.

Because someone died during their commission of a felony.

Once again, multiple thugs break into a house, a homeowner fires shots, and all surviving thugs immediately flee.

Note what did NOT happen: an extended firefight requiring multiple magazines or even reloading on the part of the homeowner. Never does. But this incident will be cited as evidence that everyone should have access to military grade rifles with 30 shot magazines, the cost to the rest of society be damned.

My only point is that I don't think it's cause for celebration when someone loses their life, even if it is in the course of committing a crime. I was more thinking out loud with the non-lethal weapon idea. Ending someone else's life is a burden that nobody should have to bear.

My only point is that I don't think it's cause for celebration when someone loses their life, even if it is in the course of committing a crime. I was more thinking out loud with the non-lethal weapon idea. Ending someone else's life is a burden that nobody should have to bear.

Point well taken, sir. I don't disagree with you at all.

My question is, how did the son get the gun? Aren't people always posting on here about how a responsible gun owner wouldn't let their kids have access?

My question is, how did the son get the gun? Aren't people always posting on here about how a responsible gun owner wouldn't let their kids have access?

LOL, dude...the son/shooter is 21 - we're talking about an adult that could purchase his own hand gun, not some prepubescent teen here. Not sure access to the weapon is necessarily a major issue in this particular shoot.

A shotgun and a couple shells is all you need to protect your home in the event of a break-in. You don't need to be armed like Rambo.

A dog helps too.

Are you actually serious here? What sort of nonlethal force/weapons are you contemplating that everyone ought to have in order to be able to (successfully) protect themselves in the event of a break-in by multiple thugs bent on doing harm?

Reasonable minds can differ (and have on this thread) about the use of firearms to protect oneself, but the story posted by SMU seems to me to be a clear example of the reasonable use of a firearm to protect innocents within the confines of their own home.

Also, have you never heard of the felony murder rule?

i love these contrived scenarios. where is it you live? Maybe you should just be proactive and get another deadbolt and put some bars on the windows.

LOL, dude...the son/shooter is 21 - we're talking about an adult that could purchase his own hand gun, not some prepubescent teen here. Not sure access to the weapon is necessarily a major issue in this particular shoot.

Ok I missed that part sorry.

i love these contrived scenarios. where is it you live? Maybe you should just be proactive and get another deadbolt and put some bars on the windows.

Contrived? Did you read the the story that SMU linked above?

Maybe you should just be proactive and read the article that I was talking about first before posting.

By the way, I live at 1025 Cross Gate Road in Winston-Salem. I'll be watching the Daytona 500 in about an hour. You are cordially invited to come watch it with me. Beers or other refreshments are on me.

1992, my problem isn't the guy shooting the intruders. It's that he didn't need a 20, 30, 50 or 100 round device to do so.

Also as I said earlier having an AR-15 may have been detrimental unless he left a loaded one out by his bed every night. If he did that, it would be more dangerous to his family than to burglars.

92, I'll forward you info to Obama for his gun owner registry. Your country thanks you.

RJ: I've never said anything that contradict what you say, and I tend to agree with you.

Ph: I'm pretty sure Uncle Sam already knows where I live, given that I pay taxes, am in the Army Reserve, and have already provided my "info" to the government each time that I have purchased a firearm. Hell, I'm the phone book. But if you find yourself with nothing better to do, knock yourself out.

In all sincerity, I wish both of you a nice Sunday afternoon.

Back