• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Food for thought...

In New York, it is (or soon will be) a Class D felony to possess a single standard capacity mag of new production greater than 7 rounds capacity.

This is a list of crimes that the legislature of NY feels is less serious than possession of a box with a spring in it:

120.70 - Luring a child | E Felony
121.11 - Criminal obstruction of breathing or blood circulation | A Misdemeanor
125.10 - Criminally negligent homicide | E Felony
130.20 - Sexual misconduct | A Misdemeanor
130.25 - Rape 3rd degree | E Felony
130.40 - Criminal sexual act 3rd degree | E Felony
130.52 - Forcible touching | A Misdemeanor
130.53 - Persistent sexual abuse | E Felony (repeat child molester, must be caught and convicted in two separate cases before the charges even reach this level)
130.65A - Aggravated sexual abuse 4th degree | E Felony
130.85 - Female genital mutilation | E Felony
135.05 - Unlawful imprisonment 2nd degree | A Misdemeanor
135.10 - Unlawful imprisonment 1st degree | E Felony
135.45 - Custodial interference 2nd degree | A Misdemeanor
135.50 - Custodial interference 1st degree | E Felony
135.55 - Substitution of children | E Felony (switched at birth)
135.60 - Coercion 2nd degree | A Misdemeanor
150.01 - 5th degree Arson | A Misdemeanor
150.05 - 4th degree Arson | E Felony
178.10 - 4th degree Criminal diversion of prescription medications and prescriptions | A Misdemeanor
178.15 - 3rd degree Criminal diversion of prescription medications and prescriptions | E Felony
220.28 - Use of a child to commit a controlled substance offense | E Felony
240.05 - Riot 2nd degree | A Misdemeanor
240.06 - Riot 1st degree | E Felony
240.08 - Inciting to riot | A Misdemeanor 240.10 - Unlawful assembly | B Misdemeanor
240.15 - Criminal anarchy | E Felony
240.20 - Disorderly conduct | Violation
240.61 - Placing a false bomb or hazardous substance 2nd degree | E Felony
250.45 - Unlawful surveillance 2nd degree | E felony (Hidden cams for sexual gratification)
255.25 - Incest 3rd degree | E Felony
263.11 - Possessing an obscene sexual performance by a child | E Felony
263.16 - Possessing a sexual performance by a child | E Felony

Typical extremist regurgitation of talking points.

There is no doubt there would have been more dead people in AZ the shooter not had to reload. The same is likely true in Aurora and other places.

All those crimes are bad AND there is no rational reason for expanded magazines/clips/drums or whatever you want to call them.

That's about 15-20 minutes from me. We use the 55 to get to the 15 to get to Vegas.

Boy shot in head at Brown Co. home

Brown County sheriff's deputies expect to release more information about a Monday shooting that wounded a 9-year-old boy.

Brown County Sheriff Dwayne Wenninger said Swartz found the gun in a bedroom and was playing with it. When his 13-year-old sister tried to take the gun from the boy, it went off, Wenninger said.

Swartz was airlifted to Cincinnati Children's Hospital for treatment. He was last reported in critical condition late Monday.

Holy hell.

Did any of you read this article by Dan Baum in the Wall Street Journal over the weekend? http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324162304578304000178156938.html

He makes some really good points about gun culture and linking up the responsibility of legal gun ownership with the need to prevent those legal guns from being used by criminals, children, and suicidal people.

923 -- Thanks very much for sharing this link. I just finished reading the story after returning from lunch. As someone who would like to think of himself as a responsible gun owner, I agree with virtually everything that Mr. Baum had to say.

Good article. A lot could change with an attitude adjustment.

Yeah. At one time, it was legit for the gun lobby to take a hard line on any gun regulation because of a fear of a "slippery slope" leading to gun bans - after all, it wasn't that long ago that a national handgun ban was real proposed legislation in DC. In my view, the Heller case changed that. Now, it is absolutely clear that there will be no confiscation of handguns or sporting long guns short of a repeal of the 2nd amendment, which will never happen. After Heller really sinks in, I think a lot of responsible gun owners will start to see through the "THEYS COMIN TO TAKE YER GUNZ!!" rhetoric and start asking whether the Constitution really requires that people must be allowed to be cavalier and careless with deadly weapons.

Food for thought...

In New York, it is (or soon will be) a Class D felony to possess a single standard capacity mag of new production greater than 7 rounds capacity.

This is a list of crimes that the legislature of NY feels is less serious than possession of a box with a spring in it:

120.70 - Luring a child | E Felony
121.11 - Criminal obstruction of breathing or blood circulation | A Misdemeanor
125.10 - Criminally negligent homicide | E Felony
130.20 - Sexual misconduct | A Misdemeanor
130.25 - Rape 3rd degree | E Felony
130.40 - Criminal sexual act 3rd degree | E Felony
130.52 - Forcible touching | A Misdemeanor
130.53 - Persistent sexual abuse | E Felony (repeat child molester, must be caught and convicted in two separate cases before the charges even reach this level)
130.65A - Aggravated sexual abuse 4th degree | E Felony
130.85 - Female genital mutilation | E Felony
135.05 - Unlawful imprisonment 2nd degree | A Misdemeanor
135.10 - Unlawful imprisonment 1st degree | E Felony
135.45 - Custodial interference 2nd degree | A Misdemeanor
135.50 - Custodial interference 1st degree | E Felony
135.55 - Substitution of children | E Felony (switched at birth)
135.60 - Coercion 2nd degree | A Misdemeanor
150.01 - 5th degree Arson | A Misdemeanor
150.05 - 4th degree Arson | E Felony
178.10 - 4th degree Criminal diversion of prescription medications and prescriptions | A Misdemeanor
178.15 - 3rd degree Criminal diversion of prescription medications and prescriptions | E Felony
220.28 - Use of a child to commit a controlled substance offense | E Felony
240.05 - Riot 2nd degree | A Misdemeanor
240.06 - Riot 1st degree | E Felony
240.08 - Inciting to riot | A Misdemeanor 240.10 - Unlawful assembly | B Misdemeanor
240.15 - Criminal anarchy | E Felony
240.20 - Disorderly conduct | Violation
240.61 - Placing a false bomb or hazardous substance 2nd degree | E Felony
250.45 - Unlawful surveillance 2nd degree | E felony (Hidden cams for sexual gratification)
255.25 - Incest 3rd degree | E Felony
263.11 - Possessing an obscene sexual performance by a child | E Felony
263.16 - Possessing a sexual performance by a child | E Felony

i wonder if elkman actually thinks he made a point, or if he knows he's using fallacies to confuse the issue?

Hillary will likely replace Kennedy and Scalia making the Court 6-3 for the next 20-30 years.

Agree that the Constitution doesn't require that people be allowed to be cavalier and careless with deadly weapons, but Heller was a 5-4 decision that was (and is) subject to a great deal of criticism. If either Scalia or Kennedy dies, it's likely one Obama nominee from being overruled. I don't know that it's going to "really sink in" any time soon.

I don't think gun manufacturers have thought this thread. A lot of people are going to buy guns if the government is rounding them up. Not to mention, the government is going to need more guns so they can go after your guns. They make out pretty big in this scenario.

I personally think that's a little far out to be making predictions, but you're proving my point.

I'm less certain. I think liberals might be willing to let Heller stand because they have more (i.e. Roe and Casey) to lose from letting the court become seen as nine politicians in funny robes than they stand to gain by overturning Heller.

This American Life is essential listening this week and next:

Here are some of the rules students live by at Harper High School in Chicago: Know your geography (whether or not you join a gang or not, you're in one). Never walk by yourself. Never walk with someone else. If someone shoots, don't run. These are just a few of the exhausting complexities that face the kids at Harper High, where 29 current and former students were shot last year. The reality on the streets leads the kids to one final rule: never go outside. This American Life spent five months at Harper High School. Part one of their report is a must-listen. Within a few minutes of the piece, you'll understand what one of the adults who was interviewed means when he says, "it ain't a fairy tale."

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/487/harper-high-school-part-one

Have we as a society determined that death is a valid punishment for breaking and entering?

Back