• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

By the way, guys like Ted Cruz are some of the quickest to scold about politicizing tragedies but he’s also on the TV immediately after. I saw tweets of Tv clips of him when they still though only 2 kids had been killed. When a senator comments on something, it’s politicized. And of course he was on stage yesterday during Abbott’s press conference.

Nice words by Kimmel. I disagree on a few points. Cruz is a monster. He went to sleep just fine knowing he can fundraise off the backlash to this tragedy.

It would be very beneficial to the world if we could deconstruct the pathology of American gun culture. Anecdotally most of the people I know who collect firearms are enthusiastic hobbyists, and have a very aggressive desire for using firearms for self defense and protecting their property rights.

It would be very beneficial to the world if we could deconstruct the pathology of American gun culture. Anecdotally most of the people I know who collect firearms are enthusiastic hobbyists, and have a very aggressive desire for using firearms for self defense and protecting their property rights.

I might be misunderstanding what you mean with your first sentence, but are you trying to say that the bolded is not a problem? That it's a normal mentality to have and doesn't need to be pathologized?

regarding law enforcement at schools

I am furious at the reporting I am seeing from Texas. I recall Parkland also had a security officer (not sure whether he was armed) who did nothing.

that said - it is unrealistic to expect a perfect response from law enforcement. you're talking about a mind-numbingly boring job for 99.9% of the time - until suddenly you get maybe 15 seconds to determine whether the guy running into the school is an imminent threat to the kids and teachers*

law enforcement is NEVER going to get this 100% right. NEVER. which is an argument not to rely on law enforcement

*I understand in this specific circumstance the kid was openly carrying an AR-15, which makes the calculation easier, but you are still asking an LEO to shoot to kill on sight

yes I agree however, i would say that's a little selection bias. gun owners who are not nut jobs tend to shut the fuck up b/c they realize guns aren't toys or a personality.

I think for a lot of people “self-defense” is a not so hidden desire for offense. Self-defense is a reason not a precaution. A lot of people worried about self-defense live in safe neighborhoods and have little to fear.

Someone talking about their guns to their friends seems quite likely to get in that category.

Last edited:
I think for a lot of people “self-defense” is a not so hidden desire for offense. Self-defense is a reason not a precaution. A lot of people worried about self-defense live in safe neighborhoods and have little to fear.

Someone talking about their guns to their friends seems quite likely to get in that category.

and also they like to bring their guns with them, looking for a situation to "defend" themselves from.

yes I agree however, i would say that's a little selection bias. gun owners who are not nut jobs tend to shut the fuck up b/c they realize guns aren't toys or a personality.

I guess I wasn’t really including that as “gun culture”, which I think is more of an American specific paranoid hyper defensive consumerist posture. People all over the world have firearms for hunting, wildlife management, and professional use.

I would not vote to repeal the 2nd Amendment, but I am an enthusiastic proponent of serious and effective gun control measures: increase age requirements, mandatory waiting periods, universal background checks, ending gun show loopholes on sales. I'm also in favor of outright bans on certain weapons: reinstate the assault weapon ban, which I believe included a limit of 10 rounds on any clips which is plenty for home defense and hunting. I've also mentioned mandatory insurance to purchase a firearm and how the private sector's risk calculation and management would be an effective tool. We also need much stiffer penalties for violations.

I would also encourage everyone to remember that as this sensible and reasonable group debates getting rid of any firearms its members might own, there are anti-democratic fascist assholes all over this country who are stockpiling weapons and training and itching for a fight. I watched some of them march through my neighborhood. I think I'm a pretty reasonable guy, but I'll be keeping my gun - locked in a biometric safe of course.

I might be misunderstanding what you mean with your first sentence, but are you trying to say that the bolded is not a problem? That it's a normal mentality to have and doesn't need to be pathologized?

The opposite. Those are the people we need to figure out.

I guess I wasn’t really including that as “gun culture”, which I think is more of an American specific paranoid hyper defensive consumerist posture. People all over the world have firearms for hunting, wildlife management, and professional use.

sure, but i think the paranoid consumerist thing is only a product of the last 20 years.

9/11, Iraq 2 and Afghanistan veterans + Boot in your Ass culture and the elevation of Soldiers to Gods really sent this country into a tailspin.

I'll add the NRA, right wing media, and politicians have been effective in pushing the same message over and over again ie "Government and democrats want to take away ALL guns and destroy your life so you can't give an inch on anything (including allowing universal background checks)."

Last edited:
Don't forget the republican co-opting and weaponisation of christianity... gotta have god on your side ! !

Require a blockchain tag on the inside of every shell casing that tracks it through its production, distribution, and sale. No different than the FDA tracking food production. If a shell casing is found to be involved in a homicide, open up civil liability to all parties involved in the process. That has no bearing on the second amendment and would instantly contract gun violence.

Require a blockchain tag on the inside of every shell casing that tracks it through its production, distribution, and sale. No different than the FDA tracking food production. If a shell casing is found to be involved in a homicide, open up civil liability to all parties involved in the process. That has no bearing on the second amendment and would instantly contract gun violence.

how would tracking the bullets used stop this kid from killing children?

This is similar to what I've been advocating for regarding mandatory insurance. NC could enact a law requiring insurance with limits of $500,000 for any gun owner and strict liability in case of any injury or death (meaning, the victim does not have to prove negligence/intent). This would allow private insurance carriers to determine whether an individual is insurable. Since it's their money on the line, they will have every incentive to only insure those for whom the risk is justified. That determination might include psychiatric evaluation, background checks, and interviews. The next step is to enact harsh penalties for possession without insurance, especially where the violation is willful.

I don’t really like the idea of private companies deciding who gets to have a gun

Maybe we can make crypto bullets that people can fire with NFT guns on the blockchain.

Back