• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

any word yet on if the retired officer had a CCP? isn't this just the kind of hero the CCP advocates clamor for?

any word yet on if the retired officer had a CCP? isn't this just the kind of hero the CCP advocates clamor for?

The cop left the theater. Don't see how it could be stand your ground if he left the theater (and an imminent threat) and then returned.

The evidence is pretty clear that concealed carry laws do not increase crime or violence, at least not by the holders of the permits. not really appropriate to draw any conclusions about concealed carry from this one incident (in Tampa, Florida, the home of crazy no less), any more than it is appropriate to draw conclusions about concealed carry from isolated anecdotes of people fending off intruders lawfully.

The evidence is pretty clear that concealed carry laws do not increase crime or violence, at least not by the holders of the permits. not really appropriate to draw any conclusions about concealed carry from this one incident (in Tampa, Florida, the home of crazy no less), any more than it is appropriate to draw conclusions about concealed carry from isolated anecdotes of people fending off intruders lawfully.

i didn't think it was that clear from the study someone posted.

i just enjoy the irony of what should be a poster boy for ccp acting a fool and killing a dude because he was texting his daughter in a movie theater.

a retired cop? isn't he exactly who should be responsible enough to ccp?

valid point, i guess. i'm not sure who would be then. i'm also not sure that most folks feel the same way about the police.

also, wesley chapel =/= tampa. it isn't even considered unincorporated tampa, hell it's effing pasco county.

it's bad enough when people call hunter's green and ph territory "tampa."

lol... not at all. every single one of these events is just further support when anyone asks me if i ever consider moving home.

From the lighter side of gun violence...

http://www.wbng.com/news/local/Home-invasion-vicitim-shoots-suspect-after-assault-240115071.html

State police said three suspects arrived at the home on David Braman, 69. The suspects, Francois Muchanic, 31, of Susquehanna, Dylan Brewer 20, of New Milford and Evan Hess, 20, of Forest City were driven to the residence by Muchanic's girlfriend, Erica Major, 30, of Susquehanna.

Muchanic knocked on Braman's door wearing a ski mask. The victim opened his door carrying a loaded 357 Smith and Wesson revolver. Muchanic told Braman he was having car problems and needed to use his phone, according to state police.

Trooper Mark Mulvey said Braman tried to close the door when he realized Muchanic was wearing a ski mask. State police said Muchanic then forced his way into the home and began assaulting Braman and knocking him to the ground.

Braman fired three shots at Muchanic and hit him once in the groin.

Troopers say Muchanic fled the home, falling to the ground. The two other men, Brewer and Hess left Muchanic at the scene.

The driver, Muchanic's girlfriend, picked him up and left.

State police said a short time after the robbery, Major called Susquehanna County 911 Communication Center to report that her boyfriend had been shot helping a disabled motorist on Interstate 81 North in Great Bend Twp.

Major told 911 dispatchers that when her boyfriend, Muchanic, got out of his car and the motorist shot him in the groin, according to state police. She then drove her vehicle to the rest area on I-81N just into New York where Muchanic was transported to Wilson Hospital.

State police say Muchanic is in critical condition.

Muchanic, Major, Brewer and Hess all face numerous charges.

Newtown shooter may have called radio show year before attack, newspaper says

(CNN) -- Sandy Hook Elementary School shooter Adam Lanza may have called a radio show nearly a year before his rampage, drawing parallels between a Connecticut chimpanzee that mauled a woman in 2009 and a "teenage mall shooter or something like that," according to a report published Thursday in the New York Daily News.

The newspaper identified the caller as Lanza, based on Internet postings and confirmation by two of the late shooter's friends. CNN cannot confirm that the voice is Lanza's, but if it is his, it could provide previously unknown insight into the mind of the 20-year-old, who killed 26 people at the Newtown, Connecticut, school before killing himself as police closed in.

The 2011 call to Oregon radio show "AnarchyRadio" focuses on the story of Travis, a chimpanzee shot to death by police after he mauled a friend of his owner's at the Stamford, Connecticut, home where he lived. In the nearly seven-minute segment, the caller -- who identifies himself as "Greg" and speaks in a low, clipped monotone -- laments perceptions of the primate after his attack on his owner's friend, saying it was not "simply because he was a senselessly violent, impulsive chimp."

"Immediately before his attack, he had desperately been wanting his owner to drive him somewhere, and the best reason I can think of for why he would want that, looking at his entire life, is some little thing he experienced was the last straw, and he was overwhelmed by the life he had and he wanted to get out of it by changing his environment," the caller said. "And the best way he knew how to deal with that was by getting his owner to drive him somewhere else."

"And so when his owner's friend arrived, he knew that she was trying to coax him back into his life of domestication, and he couldn't handle that, so he attacked her and anyone else who approached him," the caller says. "And dismissing his attack as simply being the senseless violence and impulsiveness of a chimp, instead of a human, is wishful thinking at best," he says.

"His attacks can be parallel to the attacks, the random acts of violence, that you see on your show every week, committed by humans which the mainstream also has no explanation for," the caller said. "An actual human, I don't think it would be such a stretch. He very well could be a teenage mall shooter or something like that. ..."

The show's host, John Zerzan, said he remembers the call.

"The voice was kind of odd ... sort of robotic ... and maybe he was trying to disguise his voice or something. I don't know," Zerzan said.

Criminologist Casey Jordan, a professor of justice and law administration at Western Connecticut State University in Danbury, said the parallels to Lanza's later violence are clear. "I think the subtext of what he is saying is that violence is innate and instinctual to humans and really should not be punished because it is their natural basis. That's the message he's trying to get across, and the parallel to himself is obvious," she said. "He feels possessed by this need this compulsion to commit violence."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/16/us/newtown-shooter-possible-radio-interview/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Newtown shooter may have called radio show year before attack, newspaper says

(CNN) -- Sandy Hook Elementary School shooter Adam Lanza may have called a radio show nearly a year before his rampage, drawing parallels between a Connecticut chimpanzee that mauled a woman in 2009 and a "teenage mall shooter or something like that," according to a report published Thursday in the New York Daily News.

The newspaper identified the caller as Lanza, based on Internet postings and confirmation by two of the late shooter's friends. CNN cannot confirm that the voice is Lanza's, but if it is his, it could provide previously unknown insight into the mind of the 20-year-old, who killed 26 people at the Newtown, Connecticut, school before killing himself as police closed in.

The 2011 call to Oregon radio show "AnarchyRadio" focuses on the story of Travis, a chimpanzee shot to death by police after he mauled a friend of his owner's at the Stamford, Connecticut, home where he lived. In the nearly seven-minute segment, the caller -- who identifies himself as "Greg" and speaks in a low, clipped monotone -- laments perceptions of the primate after his attack on his owner's friend, saying it was not "simply because he was a senselessly violent, impulsive chimp."

"Immediately before his attack, he had desperately been wanting his owner to drive him somewhere, and the best reason I can think of for why he would want that, looking at his entire life, is some little thing he experienced was the last straw, and he was overwhelmed by the life he had and he wanted to get out of it by changing his environment," the caller said. "And the best way he knew how to deal with that was by getting his owner to drive him somewhere else."

"And so when his owner's friend arrived, he knew that she was trying to coax him back into his life of domestication, and he couldn't handle that, so he attacked her and anyone else who approached him," the caller says. "And dismissing his attack as simply being the senseless violence and impulsiveness of a chimp, instead of a human, is wishful thinking at best," he says.

"His attacks can be parallel to the attacks, the random acts of violence, that you see on your show every week, committed by humans which the mainstream also has no explanation for," the caller said. "An actual human, I don't think it would be such a stretch. He very well could be a teenage mall shooter or something like that. ..."

The show's host, John Zerzan, said he remembers the call.

"The voice was kind of odd ... sort of robotic ... and maybe he was trying to disguise his voice or something. I don't know," Zerzan said.

Criminologist Casey Jordan, a professor of justice and law administration at Western Connecticut State University in Danbury, said the parallels to Lanza's later violence are clear. "I think the subtext of what he is saying is that violence is innate and instinctual to humans and really should not be punished because it is their natural basis. That's the message he's trying to get across, and the parallel to himself is obvious," she said. "He feels possessed by this need this compulsion to commit violence."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/16/us/newtown-shooter-possible-radio-interview/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

compare that to the quote from the store shooting from the police sergeant:

"You never know why this happens," Smith said. "People are depressed. People do things that are not rational. You just can't explain these things a lot of the times."

wooooooooof mental health in this country

Back