• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

Thank the good Lord in heaven somebody is willing to protect the 1st amendment rights of our government workers.

This may be the dumbest legislature in NC's history. North Carolina is intent on embarrassing itself again and again and again.

Now the taxpayers get to spend a million dollars or so defending it in court for a few years. Also, it gives Roy Cooper another brilliant opportunity to further draw the ire of 2&2 (and get a lot of publicity in the run up to his gubernatorial campaign).

Yeah but Cooper can't distinguish himself from McCrory on this one if he takes a dive like he did the last time around, as McCrory has permanently stanced himself. Unless he (Cooper) does a 180 and actually does his job by trying to defend the bill, he is stuck, as he will be siding with his future opponent. The wrinkle will be if he does his job and attempts to pick up some conservative votes away from McCrory, but potentially alienating his liberal base in the process. It will be interesting to see how he plays it out. Given his precedent over the past few years of putting his own personal aspirations well ahead of his actual duty, I expect him to side with McCrory and provide a half-ass defense or, more likely so as not to come off as a loser, none at all.

If I had to guess, Cooper won't be caught dead defending this bill since no rational person would - it's a ridiculous bill. If you're hired to do a job then you do it. People don't get to line item veto things they don't to do even if it's for the government. I'm trying to think of a good comparison but it's hard to do - someone who is Christian and has a fundamental opposition to other religions getting married? I can't even think of something.

If I had to guess, Cooper won't be caught dead defending this bill since no rational person would - it's a ridiculous bill. If you're hired to do a job then you do it. People don't get to line item veto things they don't to do even if it's for the government. I'm trying to think of a good comparison but it's hard to do - someone who is Christian and has a fundamental opposition to other religions getting married? I can't even think of something.

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...o_of_anti_gay_marriage_religious_freedom_bill

"Lawmakers during debate of SB2 were exceptionally clear that this bill was designed to "protect" magistrates"

Mr. Murphy, you have AIDS. But I'm not gay. Sure you're not gay Mr. Murphy.

Yeah but Cooper can't distinguish himself from McCrory on this one if he takes a dive like he did the last time around, as McCrory has permanently stanced himself. Unless he (Cooper) does a 180 and actually does his job by trying to defend the bill, he is stuck, as he will be siding with his future opponent. The wrinkle will be if he does his job and attempts to pick up some conservative votes away from McCrory, but potentially alienating his liberal base in the process. It will be interesting to see how he plays it out. Given his precedent over the past few years of putting his own personal aspirations well ahead of his actual duty, I expect him to side with McCrory and provide a half-ass defense or, more likely so as not to come off as a loser, none at all.

Well at least you admit that defending this law is a losing battle.

So people have some concept as to who they are voting for. Having non-partisan elections just makes it even more of a wild-ass guess. If a judge is a democrat, at least i know we generally share similar values and views.

Would seem to me that this will be pretty easy to bypass Cooper entirely. Get a (gay) marriage license denied by a magistrate, seek a writ of mandamus from the COA and win. Game over.

Given his precedent over the past few years of putting his own personal aspirations well ahead of his actual duty, I expect him to side with McCrory and provide a half-ass defense or, more likely so as not to come off as a loser, none at all.

I don't follow this thread very closely, so perhaps someone can tell me -- when did the AG's Office under Cooper refuse to defend a challenged State law, other than the constitutional amendment banning gay marriage? In that particular instance, my understanding is that his office defended that challenge up until the point the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals overturned Virginia's ban, so in essence the NC case had already been decided.

In contrast, I think the AG's Office has defended a number of controversial laws adopted by this General Assembly, even laws that I'm pretty sure Cooper would not have signed as governor. The fact that some of those challenged laws were eventually overturned by the courts, to me, says more about the shittiness of the law than the quality of the representation from the AG's Office.

So did the republicans just not offer a package?

So did the republicans just not offer a package?

There's a lot of GOP infighting over it. Hard line TP conservatives don't want to fork over the cash while more moderate Pubs (including McCrory) are pleading with them to get this done so NC can at least compete for new business. Thus far it's been a long stalemate while the legislature has been focusing on red meat social conservative issues to keep the base riled up. Even McCrory has called them out on this.

ETA: to put it more succinctly, those tax cuts they like to crow about are making it hard to get this done.

Last edited:
Back