• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

I don't think I've seen Robert Byrd mentioned anywhere but these boards in the last 10 years.

After 1964, some Democrats, including Byrd, got on board with civil rights. Those who didn't largely either retired or became Republicans.

What former Democrats (other than Thurmond) became Republicans after voting Nay on the Civil Rights Act in 1964?

Surely you have plenty of examples as I was told it's basic history.

1930's??? Try the 1960's, oh wise historian.

Tomatoe vs. Tomato for the members of the Party of Facts and Truth [SUP]TM[/SUP]

Do you know what a joke is and how jokes work? You are one, so I guess it is a bit hard to know thy self sometimes.

Jesse Helms voted Nay on the Civil Rights Act in 1964???

I learn something new everyday from the scholars on the Tunnels!!!

Jesse Helms voted Nay on the Civil Rights Act in 1964???

I learn something new everyday from the scholars on the Tunnels!!!

Jesse Helms left the Democratic party for the Republicans because the Democrats were insufficiently racist, due in part to the Civil Rights act.

What former Democrats (other than Thurmond) became Republicans after voting Nay on the Civil Rights Act in 1964?

Surely you have plenty of examples as I was told it's basic history.

You are going to say they doesn't fit the bill, because only a 157 people (house+senate) actually voted against it, but plenty of people left the democratic party and moved to the republican party in the 60's and early 70's following the Civil Rights act and movement. Here are some examples:

Jesse Helms, was a Democrat in the 1950's, worked on Willis Smith's Senate campaign, who's slogan was "Wake up, White People!". He was elected to Raleigh's city council as a Democrat in 1957...then ran for Senate in 1972 as a Republican.

There are dozens of others:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_party_switchers_in_the_United_States#1960–1969

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_party_switchers_in_the_United_States#1970–1979

Many profiles list the reason for switching as the Democratic Party's abandoning the segregationist platform.

Hell, you couldn't even get any to vote for the Voting Rights Act.

this. if the col was intellectually honest he would acknowledge this. on the other hand fox and oan tell us there is widespread voting issues with no evidence so... out of sight out of mind for our tunnels friend.

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Embracing Trumpism/White Supremacy/Sedition

Wildly popular, racist, and stop the steal traitor. Way to go, GOP!

You do. not. understand. Just because Republicans were racist 50 years ago during the civil rights era doesn’t mean that Republicans are racist now. Republicans *today* are just trying to protect their liberty and values from an encroaching liberalism that they don’t agree with. It’s COMPLETELY COINCIDENTAL that all of the modern Republican political methods and goals of protecting conservative values guarantee negative outcomes for poor and minority Americans. They aren’t racist just because their politics are bad for black people, that’s just an unforeseen consequence that just happens to align with the past racist beliefs of the Republican Party.

Last edited:
Just more evidence that the GOP isn't under the control of Trumpites. And knowing these clowns will likely be in the majority starting in January 2023 is frightening.

40-56 seconds should be the main national Democratic Party ad in 2022.

Back