• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Online Virtual Coach Simulation

How cool would an all-Deacon Final Four be?

I would LOOOOOOOOOOVE that! Just making the final four would be a huge accomplishment for many of us, certainly myself.

Good luck tonight coaches (except Odessa!) :p

To Flagstaff - if you see this today, I am playing a team that you played earlier in the year, Cambridge Thunder Cats. Most likely it is going to be a blood bath, but I wanted to see if you had any insight for playing against him, especially in regards to tempo and defense. I was debating about switching to Zone, but it looks like they shoot a ton of threes - but not a ton of overall shots. I am thinking about sticking with my slow-down tempo and man-to-man defense.

My big problem is that his main scorer is his SG, and my SG can only score, he plays the spanish style defense "Ole!". I should be able to outrebound him, but thats about the only thing I have going for me.

To Flagstaff - if you see this today, I am playing a team that you played earlier in the year, Cambridge Thunder Cats. Most likely it is going to be a blood bath, but I wanted to see if you had any insight for playing against him, especially in regards to tempo and defense. I was debating about switching to Zone, but it looks like they shoot a ton of threes - but not a ton of overall shots. I am thinking about sticking with my slow-down tempo and man-to-man defense.

My big problem is that his main scorer is his SG, and my SG can only score, he plays the spanish style defense "Ole!". I should be able to outrebound him, but thats about the only thing I have going for me.

Good luck man, I don't really know what happened that game. I made more shots, had 15 more rebounds and got out shot on free-throws by 8, but out made by 10 and that was the game.

Zone worked okay for me but if Patrick Oates is on you are in trouble. I lost a tie to Cambridge for him and the kid can score the basketball. He dropped 30 on me and basically won them the game. And that was with me having a Exc defender/Exc ath at the 2 spot. If you have a SG that is a good defender then I'd run normal or man defense. You'll have a tough time controlling him either was so good luck!

General advice: sometimes you have to let the stud get theirs, and shut down the rest of the team. Not sure if it applies in this circumstance.

Love the chatter among many coaches recently. Keep it up.

Oh, and I will run the DeACCon challenge (unless someone wants to take it) after game 19 bc your ranking for the year cannot go down after game 19 (keeps folks from being punished for being in a hard tournament).

awaken, accept the scrimmage!!!

so, i think this season is going to be a great tournament...a lot of new coaches that really have the talent to get deep in the NTT and some old fogies that are still plugging away in the NTT. then we have awaken that has spent the last 5+ seasons in the finals, winning most of them.

i think this is one of the better chances for a deacon final 4!

I tend to agree with these guys. Let the stud get his and concentrate on the others.

If your team isn't strong defensively you might want to try the zone slow down approach. Some nights you'll lose because a team just gets hot from outside, but it can help you at times by forcing bad long shots and grabbing the rebounding.

awaken, accept the scrimmage!!!

so, i think this season is going to be a great tournament...a lot of new coaches that really have the talent to get deep in the NTT and some old fogies that are still plugging away in the NTT. then we have awaken that has spent the last 5+ seasons in the finals, winning most of them.

i think this is one of the better chances for a deacon final 4!

Sorry, I didn't know you sent me one. I'm blocked at work, so I'll accept when I get home. Thanks for speaking up. You want a standard lineup, or something else?

i am trying a new lineup, but not too different. you can run your best lineup...i want to see if it will make a difference.

Crossing my fingers hoping Miami pulls off Atkins (1/1) tonight, though I doubt it. Looking forward to the games as well as seeing where my maxes are tonight. Tau do you think anyone will drop off Nanquin? Surely those 4 teams that don't belong on him will after seeing he's such a huge tie.

Crossing my fingers hoping Miami pulls off Atkins (1/1) tonight, though I doubt it. Looking forward to the games as well as seeing where my maxes are tonight. Tau do you think anyone will drop off Nanquin? Surely those 4 teams that don't belong on him will after seeing he's such a huge tie.

No idea man. Imo when you go after a guy like naquin you expect a huge tie so its dumb to drop after this many weeks recruiting him. Lotta people in this game do dumb stuff though so who knows what we will see. If miami drops off atkins im going to have to drop flagstaff and move to a conference around there. Sounds like u and a bunch of dummies haha

No idea man. Imo when you go after a guy like naquin you expect a huge tie so its dumb to drop after this many weeks recruiting him. Lotta people in this game do dumb stuff though so who knows what we will see. If miami drops off atkins im going to have to drop flagstaff and move to a conference around there. Sounds like u and a bunch of dummies haha

I'd expect one or two to drop off Nanquin. Guys that have no shot or had such horrible reveals that they have to fish elsewhere.

With regards to Atkins, I doubt very highly that he'll drop but who knows.... Remember Hutchings. :)

Deacon Update:
Frankfort Deacon Blues 82 (#2) vs Philadelphia Insatiables 64 (#29)
Frankfort handled Philadelphia with an 18 point victory tonight. Stockdale lead all scorers with 19 points and the team shut down the Insatiable starters holding them to 33 points. A tough week for Philly as they drop from #4 to #29 in the Power Rankings. Coach Awaken proves once again why he's won 4 of the past 6 titles.

Cambridge Thunder Cats 85 (#16) vs Cincinnati Skyline Deacs 68 (#44)
Tough 17 point loss for Cincinnati tonight as the front court for the Skyline Deacs didn't help the cause. 16 pts and 7 boards combined from Click, Thomas and Dye. Burgess at the point had 22 and SG Cousins just couldn't shutdown Patrick Oates who had a game high 25 pts. Silver Lining for the Skyline Deacs is that they didn't lose any PR.

Boca Raton Storm 87 (#4) vs Odessa Spooks 59 (#58)
A game that I'll be honest wasn't as close as I expected, Boca proved they are indeed a team to watch this season. Senior leadership has propelled this team to a 12-0 start. Milt Goodwin put in 21 points to lead the storm while Cochran and Holden contributed 14 each. The storm forced 17 turnovers from Odessa while only committing 5. The spooks have nothing to be ashamed about as they held their own for most of the first half, but just run out of steam after 2 tough matches this week. Up next for Odessa is #23 Casper and #7 Fort Worth. For the Storm 3 divisional are all that's between them and their first ever 15-0 start.

Glendale Smoking Man 64 (#77) vs Flagstaff Whippersnappers 77 (#9)
Flagstaff took care of business tonight with the real difference coming on the boards. Outrebounding Glendale by 10. Pedigo had a game high 24 while Shawn Wegner tried to keep Glendale in it with 21 points. Flagstaff's rebounding was a truly team effort as 5 players had five or more rebounds. The Whippersnappers moved up in the rankings to #9 giving the Deacon coaches their 3rd top ten team.

We're 5-7 on the year, so on to recruiting...

Cason and Via are still 3/3. Hulett is 2/2. Sagers is 1/1since Bismarck came with me. I have Antonio Villareal clear and he's my only one so far. Nice work by Ph getting ahead on Konrad Garrett. I liked him quite a bit, but was left to hope he'd sneak through my net. Alas.

I'd expect one or two to drop off Nanquin. Guys that have no shot or had such horrible reveals that they have to fish elsewhere.

With regards to Atkins, I doubt very highly that he'll drop but who knows.... Remember Hutchings. :)

Some good news in Recruiting:

Nanquin (1) dropped to a 7/7 tie!!!!
Mo Poisson (38) dropped to a 2/2.
Erin Atkins remained 1/1 as expected. (damn Miami!)

Boca was able to secure another 0/0 lead and a 0/1 from our Net as well.

What's surprising about the Poisson dropout, was that the team that dropped was Carnegie who I thought had the best shot of beating me out for him based on 3 year PR #s.

Coach stormfury's drooling over the possible recruiting class of
Erin Atkins 30.3 ppg
Mo Poisson 26.8 ppg 0.7 to at PG
&
Michael Gonzalez CL (0/0) 6.9 rbpg, 1.5 stl, 1.1 blocks.
or
Rene Naquin 25.9 ppg, 10.3 rbpg, 1.4 stl, 1.7 blocks.

Great game storm, I wish I could say the same about myself. I am sorry that I didn't put up a better match haha. I really am struggling with all of my team doing well at the same time, and its killing me. That and lack of bench scoring all year is a glaring issue I need to fix before I can become a real good program year in and year out(far away from that right now) I have proved little, hopefully the next recruiting cycle brings a great SG to replace Wick, and two good options for the bench

As Stormfury reported, Frankfort got a nice 18pt win over Philly tonight. While a win is always nice, I worry about a re-match, and things falling his way when it counts. Hopefully I can avoid him in the NTT (and Flagstaff, as always).

Recruiting:
Orlando Vance 4/4 to the end. Good value for an elite big.
Marvin Haynes 1/1 with Green Bay. Fantastic value
Thomas Patrick 1/2 with Brunswick and Ames
Jerry Barbour 1/1 with San Fran; good glue guy, dreadful percentages
Bob Lindstrom CL
Larry Steverson CL, breaking a 4/4 tie

I had to sit down with Brett Sagers, and have a frank conversation about his signability. His Win Pref is very low, and he needs to want to be here and willing to compete. I think Brett is a bit intimidated by our reputation. I gave him the moo-moo's and tu'-tu's speech, and he just stared blankly at me. :plos:

I shook his hand, wished him well, and gave him a present:

flour.jpg

You know, to help him find the wet spots.

Great game storm, I wish I could say the same about myself. I am sorry that I didn't put up a better match haha. I really am struggling with all of my team doing well at the same time, and its killing me. That and lack of bench scoring all year is a glaring issue I need to fix before I can become a real good program year in and year out(far away from that right now) I have proved little, hopefully the next recruiting cycle brings a great SG to replace Wick, and two good options for the bench

Good Game!

It takes a few cycles. You have to get to 5 solid starters, then replace those guys (moving them to the bench) with better ones or add complimentary guys over time.

Early on, I think it's more important to get 3 guys vs trying to swing big risking a walk on or two. Settling for some +2 or +3 guys who can fill the roles you need is important early on when you don't have a bench.

What I like to do is set goals to strive for. My first season was just learning to recruit, manage the game etc. Then each season after that was to improve my PR.

S59 - PR 90
S60 - PR 98
S61 - PR 63
S62 - PR 77
S63 - PR 69
S64 - PR 36
S65 - PR 24
S66 - ???

You've done well getting to 58! That took me 6 seasons to achieve.

Can someone with the Predictor tools tell me my odds of landing 3 recruits?

Erin Atkins - 96,104
Mo Poisson (38) - 11,104,152
Rene Naquin (1) - 17,28,87,104,140,142,171,256

I knew Brett was a little naive when he showed me the Deacon Blues logoed ball gag and asked me what it was.

Back