• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Online Virtual Coach Simulation

Good Game!

It takes a few cycles. You have to get to 5 solid starters, then replace those guys (moving them to the bench) with better ones or add complimentary guys over time.

Early on, I think it's more important to get 3 guys vs trying to swing big risking a walk on or two. Settling for some +2 or +3 guys who can fill the roles you need is important early on when you don't have a bench.

What I like to do is set goals to strive for. My first season was just learning to recruit, manage the game etc. Then each season after that was to improve my PR.

S59 - PR 90
S60 - PR 98
S61 - PR 63
S62 - PR 77
S63 - PR 69
S64 - PR 36
S65 - PR 24
S66 - ???

You've done well getting to 58! That took me 6 seasons to achieve.

Thanks a bunch for the advice! I am going to move up to a big program next year, so that will help recruiting wise. Now I just need to try and find some maxes that I will have a good shot at landing, and mixing in a stud or two as well. I have a pretty good grip on all this now, I just need to put it all together and land some recruits that are good upgrades!

Thanks a bunch for the advice! I am going to move up to a big program next year, so that will help recruiting wise. Now I just need to try and find some maxes that I will have a good shot at landing, and mixing in a stud or two as well. I have a pretty good grip on all this now, I just need to put it all together and land some recruits that are good upgrades!

If you or anyone for that matter is risking walk ons I have a few guys in the net that have not been moved on. Maybe a fairly good scorer here and there or a decent rebounder. Not guys you'd want to start but guys you can use to avoid negative guys and possibly contribute off the bench for a season.

I have a guy that i am not maxing but now putting points towards every week, hes between a +3-5. Also got a +4 that i can put points towards, if you have any suggestions I would always love to hear them! (and even if I don't recruit them, someone will!) thanks again!

ETA: both are clear leads

I rested 2nd leading scorer Sr SF Adam Cox since he was listed as probable. I put in Sr bSG at SF and he scored 15. We beat 4-8 New Orleands 75-42. Lost to Dearborn in a scrimmage. warak's lineup looks good. Lots of scoring. Murphy couldn't do anything against C Hector Travers and gave up 17, the leading scorer among 4 in double figures.

Recruiting is going well. As Vermont said, I cleared Konrad Garrett. I put 25 on him at the reveal and had a 0/5 last week. Here's my recruiting in order of preference.

6-5 Dan Lash 1/1 - toss up due to his Good+ Win. If I get him, I'll either start him at PG and move current PG Wright to bPG or keep Wright at PG, put Lash at SG, and move Morin to SF. He's an elite defender. Every PG he's faced has averaged over 4 turnovers.

6-0 Aaron Leadbetter 1/1 - slight edge due to his Exc+ Win. PG or one of the best bPG in the game. Very good defender.

6-8 Aaron Conroy 0/2 - high netter. I pref him over max Warren Donnelly because I'll need a SF next season.

6-9 Warren Donnelly 0/0 - good scorer, great rebounder. Should be a solid PF or bPF.

6-3 Fritz Curran 0/0 -solid scorer, great defender. Would be a nice bSG.

6-7 Konrad Garrett 0/0 - similar to Conroy, but not as good. Didn't fair well against elites in scrimmages at SF, PF, and C. May be a SG though. He is an Exc Scout EFFF_G so I'll keep working with him because I'll need a scorer badly next year.

I lose some good players but I should be able to replace them with this class. Next season, I will max the two best bigs who match my prefs. I need a player on the level of Doucette, Berg, Montgomery, and those guys. I didn't go hard after Jonathon Harding and he was close to my prefs (Good+ Local a region over). I've got him rated a perfect 10 in my system and he's not Top 75.

Lost to Dearborn in a scrimmage. warak's lineup looks good. Lots of scoring. Murphy couldn't do anything against C Hector Travers and gave up 17, the leading scorer among 4 in double figures.

My scrimmage with Dearborn went horribly. Warak's lineup beat me by 20. Lots of fouls on my players. Not sure if this is aberration or a sign of things to come out of Dearborn come NTT....

My scrimmage with Dearborn went horribly. Warak's lineup beat me by 20. Lots of fouls on my players. Not sure if this is aberration or a sign of things to come out of Dearborn come NTT....

He is human! :plos:

Freshman bPF Barry Whitlow grew from 6'9" to 6'11" this week. Our biochem department has developed an especially potent HGH, it seems.

As storm mentioned Flagstaff picked up a nice 77-64 win over Glendale. Stone and Pedigo were a combined 17-34 for 39 points. Bench played well with 23 points on a high shooting percentage. I've played zone all season to hide Stone and Pedigo on the defensive end but i'm slowly shifting back to my tried and true man to man. My other three starters are really good defenders and with them all being upperclassmen I'm starting to believe that the zone isn't allowing them to be as effective as they should be on the defensive end. Against team's with really strong scorers at the 1 and 5 i'll be in trouble but it should serve me better in the long term. Have 9-3 Santa Fe up next who I handled easily last game but expect a stiffer test this time.

Also got squashed by warak in a scrimmage game he has way to much balance in his starting lineup for me to match up this season. I really don't like the make up of my team this season and will be surprised if I get past the sweet 16. Just not a very balanced or tournament type team even though I have a PR of 9. Hopefully I can find some magic formula and get this team on the right track by the start of the NTT.

Recruiting is still the same minus Naquin dropping to 7/7 guess thats a positive haha.

Doucette is still a 4/4 and Yi is still a 3/3. As mentioned I should be the favorite for Doucette and Yi but I don't know by how much on Yi. Everyone else on him is around 50ish and i'm top 10. He looks like a great compliment to AP at SG and would give me size, lock down defense, and a better scoring option than any other option I'd have. He or Doucette would be a huge recruit.

I've also found some guys that were recruited by only abandoned teams that look like they are highly recruited but are actually holding at 32 RPE and I don't expect them to be moved on any more. One is a +3 scoring/defense/rebounding big i'll be picking up, and the other is a 6'2 PG/SG type that looks to be no worse than a +4/-1 and at best a +6. He won't score much be is a great defender. If anyone is interested let me know. I'll probably give him to the worst team asking if everyone is okay with that.

Last edited:
Lost by 11 to Warak in our scrimmage and got bombed in my league game. Click at Sf is not producing very well - debating about moving him to bench or switch him to the Pf and just deal with Thomas' turnovers at the SF spot. Dubious - got 3 easy wins to test this out before tourney time. Got a good shot of setting a new wins record for Cincy!

NTT Bubble Watch

* Legal disclaimer *
If I've missed any deacon teams, please let me know as this is all I have from my local list. Order of teams in each category is by conference ID.

First Teams In (6)
Boca Raton Storm #4 (12-0) - Boca should lock up the Conference 13 title tonight and has enough PR to make the field at large.
Nashville Domination #24 (11-1) / Dearborn Warak's Deacs #28 (10-2) - It's possible that Nashville and Dearborn both get in by virtue of one winning the conference 15 and the other the conference tournament. Both have enough PR to make the field at large.
Frankfort Deacon Blues #2 (11-1) - Coach Awaken's looking strong in his bid for another title. The Deacon Blues should clinch the Conference 18 title this evening and has enough PR to make the field at large.
Duluth Bullish Deacs #36 (9-3) - Duluth is currently tied with Kalamazoo and Little Rock for the conference 20 regular season title. Duluth has a lot of options to make it to the NTT with conference regular season, conference tournament and at large scenarios all still in play.
Flagstaff whippersnappers #9 (11-1) - Flagstaff's lead in conference 32 is only 1 game against Santa Fe whom they play this evening. A win here will go a long way to securing another conference regular season title. Flagstaff's PR is good enough to make the field at large.

First Teams Out (4)
Rochester Sandworms #122 (6-6) - Rochester is tied for 3rd in Conference 6 and would need to win their conference tournament to advance to the NTT.
Akron Rowdies #69 (8-4) - Coach kytihu (aka milk & cookies) has an extremely important matchup with Branson this evening. A win tonight could go a long ways towards changing Akron's fortunes. It's still possible the Rowdies could win Conference 17, but it'll take a perfect 3-0 stretch this week with some outside help. At large bid seems unlikely.
Carbondale Violence #117 (5-7) - Carbondale will need to pull a major upset during their conference tournament to make the NTT.
Flint Firestarters #215 (1-11) - Flint will need to win their conference tournament to get into the NTT.

On the Bubble (4)
Cincinnati Skyline Deacs #44 (10-2) - With a stretch against three division foes whome Cincinnati has already beaten, the Skyline Deacs have a great shot of making the NTT field in coach dadeacs first season at the helm. Cincinnati is looking for an at large bid unless they can beat out Milwaukee for the conference Tournament or the Scythians fumble down the home stretch.
Youngstown Squires #51 (10-2) - Youngstown is in a tough spot with Milwaukee and Cincinnati ahead of them in conference 16. The squires have a huge game this evening that could help both Cincinnati and Youngstown in their quests for NTT participation.
Chicago Golden Deacons #49 (9-3) - Chicago's trailing Duluth, Little Rock and Kalamazoo for the conference 20 regular season title by 2. This means Chicago's going to have some work to do to make it into the NTT. A win against Little ROck on friday would do wonder's for solidifying their at large chances. Second, the Golden Deacons could get in by way of the conference tournament title.
Odessa Spooks #58 (9-3) - Odessa's played tough stretch recently and beaten some solid teams to get their PR into bubble range. With games against Casper #23 and Fort Worth #7 this week, Odessa's got a great shot of riding their momentum into the NTT field. Beating both Casper and Fort Worth might just give the Spooks the conference 25 title and would certainly increase their PR enough to slide into the First In category. Even if the spooks slip this week, i could see them getting hot and earning a birth through their conference tournament.

Last edited:
Good stuff storm, thanks for the writeup.

Good stuff storm, thanks for the writeup.

I think it's exciting having so many deacon coaches to watch. We've got new coaches all the way to established perennial championship coaches.

As we all know from Deacon bball, come playoff times at some point most of us have to cheer for another team at some point. So it's nice having other teams we can cheer for vs some random human or NPC team that we know nothing about.

I figure this gives us a little more knowledge about our coaching buddies and it's also fun watching newer coaches including myself, Milk & Cookies along with Pilot, DaDeac and Redwing building their programs up from the ground.

Haha, wish I was 11-1! but sadly I am 9-3. Still, coming out of Wednesday with a 1-1 record (2-1 after friday) I would be pretty happy. Gotta stay strong for the conference tourney

How does the conference tournament work? Is it based on the divisions within the conference? So, since there are 8 teams in my conference and 4 in my division, is it played where you play the first two games against your division foes and then then the 3rd game against the winner of the other division? Just wondering, because if so, I have a good shot of at least making it to my conference finals.

How does the conference tournament work? Is it based on the divisions within the conference? So, since there are 8 teams in my conference and 4 in my division, is it played where you play the first two games against your division foes and then then the 3rd game against the winner of the other division? Just wondering, because if so, I have a good shot of at least making it to my conference finals.

I believe it's a straight up 8 team tournament with top seed vs 8, 2 vs 7 etc.

As far as I know, Teams that win the regular season title and conference tournament title get into the NTT. So in theory 2 teams from each conference could make it into the NTT with no at large bids if different teams won the regular season and conference title. Fortunately (or unfortunately) teams that win their regular season title usually win their conference tourney title as well opening up at large spots. This is especially true for weaker conferences where 1 team dominates.

At the moment, a quick cursory glance over various conferences it looks like only 3 teams have practically clinched their conferences but that number should increase tonight.

Haha, wish I was 11-1! but sadly I am 9-3. Still, coming out of Wednesday with a 1-1 record (2-1 after friday) I would be pretty happy. Gotta stay strong for the conference tourney

Sorry about that. I must have been looking at one of the other teams record when I did that. Fixed it.

The Flint Firestarters are still here. I'm looking at some solid recruits with not too much competition for them, and keeping my current squad's spirit up after our 1-11 start. I played around with the coaching a little to make some changes for the sake of changing, but I think my talent level is what's holding us back right now.

I've been on vacation and having my 8 month old at work with me for the last month, so I've been keeping up with recruiting, but not posting too much. I'll be more active soon...

Thanks for the scrimmages all! Awaken beat Dearborn down for all of you but it did look like that may be my best lineup.

Recruiting is going poorly like it has the last few seasons...my safe maxed recruits got maxed as well, which is BS! I needed a 0/0, so I maxed a +2 PG with only 1 other coach...SOB maxed him as well!

I will be happy to take any extras from you guys!

At least the Black Jack tables have been kind to me here in Vegas!

The Flint Firestarters are still here. I'm looking at some solid recruits with not too much competition for them, and keeping my current squad's spirit up after our 1-11 start. I played around with the coaching a little to make some changes for the sake of changing, but I think my talent level is what's holding us back right now.

I've been on vacation and having my 8 month old at work with me for the last month, so I've been keeping up with recruiting, but not posting too much. I'll be more active soon...

Added you to the bubble watch. Thanks for letting me know.

That's great stuff. I used to take mine to meetings when I was on leave when he was 3-7 months old. I miss those days of just being able to put him into a carrier and lug him around instead of hoping he feels like holding Daddy's hand on a particular day.

I've been tinkering with my system and did a quick analysis of my system compared to the SimBA Draft picks for the Season 61 class. Among those that got drafted the correlation between pick and highest rating is .400 which is pretty good. Here is the breakdown by position:

PG - 13 of Top 20 were 1st or 2nd rounders
SG - 11 of Top 20 were 1st or 2nd rounders
SF - 14 of Top 20 were SimBA draft picks
PF - 15 of Top 20 were SimBA draft picks
C - 11 of Top 20 were SimBA draft picks

Back