• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Online Virtual Coach Simulation

Ironically, my team is shooting 59% from the FT line while opponents shoot 63%. I just cannot seem to break through with this team. Maybe it's related to you guys discussion on players out of position, which seems worse than in the last version of the game.

2-4 on the season despite having arguably our best roster/lineup.

I've maxed 4 this season which were local, in hopes of avoiding big ties plus I just didn't have the time/desire to chase this season.

Joseph Ash (49)
Amir Lane (9)
Logan Winfrey
Tyler Sterling

I'm just going to let things playout and if I get walk on's so be it. Things need to change in the simulation for me to find interest again. It feels too random and perhaps a bit too rigid in player positions.

Maybe the position issue has always been a thing but before we had HS scrimmages to help us figure it out.

Durham lost 59-60, after enjoying a 9 pt lead with ~5 min remaining. Summary of our last possessions:

H2 05:38 (23) 48 - 57 George Bell Makes 3 pointer (15)

H2 05:12 (18) 49 - 57 Levi Schubert Misses

H2 04:27 ( 7) 49 - 57 George Bell Turnover

H2 04:11 (23) 49 - 57 Glen Venable Turnover

H2 03:42 (23) 51 - 57 Levi Schubert Turnover

H2 03:33 (30) 54 - 57 Devin King Misses free throw 1 of 2
H2 03:33 (30) 54 - 57 Devin King Misses free throw 2 of 2

H2 02:58 (18) 56 - 57 Andrew Lujan Misses

H2 02:38 (27) 56 - 57 George Bell Turnover

H2 02:13 (12) 56 - 57 Levi Schubert Attempts short 2 point shot
H2 02:12 (10) Elliot Norman Blocks the shot 56 - 57

H2 01:43 (22) 58 - 57 Devin King Turnover

H2 01:13 (23) 58 - 57 Levi Schubert Turnover

H2 00:27 ( 6) 58 - 57 Andrew Lujan Misses

H2 00:12 (-) 58 - 59 George Bell Makes short 2 point shot (17)

H2 00:07 (-) Luis Searcy Makes free throw 1 of 2 (21) 59 - 59
H2 00:07 (-) Luis Searcy Makes free throw 2 of 2 (22) 60 - 59

1-5 FG
6 TO's
0-2 FT

I am Danny Manning.

This game is supposed to be an escape from reality, not a brutal reminder and reinforcer of it.

Somewhat better news on the recruiting front. Durham has CL on max recruit Kyle Covalt and net recruit Casey Murdoch. Durham native Ty Emery with G+ Local is a 6/6 tie. Joshua Strozier from Charlotte and E- Local is a 2/2 tie with GSO and Montgomery. While local, I am the only one out of conference that is on him. So if pref goes hometown, conference, region, then I am behind the other two. Need to find a 5th to max.

Max and unranked
Name..............Ht.....Conf..Top
Kyle Covalt......5/11....10....66
Nathan Thomas.....6/9....14....66
Luke Rivera.......6/3....32....66
Deonte Pieper.....6/1....10....66
Reese Moffett.....6/2....11....66
William Blevins...6/5.....2....66
Thomas Manning....6/5.....8....66
Dylan McPhearson..6/3....12....66
Todd Wright.......6/9....16....66
Emiliano Shaw.....6/8....32....66
Joshua Horn.......6/8....30....60

My luck ran out. Part of it was simply having a very busy last three weeks with little time to recruit. I tried to max three and high max a few players less likely to be maxed. Then I built a small net. It didn’t work. Aside from a few players at 32, everybody was maxed.

Have three ties, 3/3, 4/4, and 12/13. My prefs are favorable for all of them but I’m still screwed.

Looks like I’ll replace a walk on level class with more walk-ons. Any help would be appreciated.

I think that message board list of players being recruited killed my algorithm based on the Most Recruited list.

Maxed and unranked:

3 Deangelo Sneed 6-6 17 72 72 Yes 0 66 66 0 0 t124
5 Aaron Caselli 6-9 25 32 66 Yes 0 32 66 1 2 t125
6 Adrian McArthur 6-2 25 32 83 Yes 0 32 66 2 4 t137, t195
13 Jose Bonk 6-6 23 15 83 Yes 0 15 66 10 10 t180
14 Juan Smith 6-8 23 15 83 Yes 0 15 66 11 11 t21, t57
16 Nicholas Garcia 6-4 29 11 83 No 2 0 66 t119
18 William Hart 6-6 15 10 83 No 1 0 0 66 t117, t151

I have 1 CL (Sneed) and 2 I'm chasing that could be CLs next week. I am running with 2 max ties and then spreading out the remaining points in the net - assuming I will lose both max ties as they are both 1 conference away and one is EXC local and the other is G+ - the local team is not on them, but all the other people in the tie are from the same conference, so both long shots.

I forgot to create a net of more than 4 people the first couple of weeks, so I am in catchup mode now.

My team blows, but that was expected.

Every single player I added this week had at least 16 points on him. I have to decide if I want to chase players I like or just go after mediocre players to avoid walk-ons.

I just started playing this and reading page 374 of this thread makes me want to quit already. How steep is the learning curve?

I just started playing this and reading page 374 of this thread makes me want to quit already. How steep is the learning curve?

First of all, welcome!

The learning curve isn't too steep, but it's tough to pull off against 200 other people who have learned it too.

Haven't posted in a while since i got a little pissed at the game engine but things seem to be leveling out in Flagstaff. Picked up what was easily our best win of the year on Friday over the (at the time) 8-3 Charleston Wolfpack by a shocking 108-77 score. I had gone to a slow pace and normal or zone defense after my shocking loss a few weeks back and it appears my pace and style was the problem. Went back to Fast/Man and look like world beaters. Go figure. Star SG Larry Gary had 36 on 15-20 shooting and 5 3's while as a team we had 32 assist on 42 made FG's. Silly offensive numbers. Backed that win up with a 74-69 win over conference foe Santa Fe. Got crushed on the boards by a team that starts a line up of 6'1, 6'2, 6'2, 6'6, 6'6 so go figure. Win is a win though and we will take it.

Recruiting is at least getting interesting now.....

I've got a CL on Nicholas Sainsbury a 6'7 post player who will probably come in at PEFGPG. His team isn't any good but even at a worst case scenario I will replace my bC with someone who at least can attempt to play the position in a productive way.

I'm 1/1 on a soft max Nathaniel Lorman is EXC scouted PEGGGG at 6'9. Would love to land him and he would at a minimum give me an do it all but score C for 4 years while I continue to strike out on the rest of my C and PF prospects. Missed out on an almost identical player last year in a 1/1 tie so hope the game engine swings the other way this time.

I've stayed on 2 of my 4 original maxes, one big and one wing.

Christopher Rush - 6'8 - 4/4 tie - No idea why this guy is the #12 most recruited and a 4/4 tie but his prefs fit me well and I don't have any other options. Good scouted FGGEG_ so we would love to have him.

Raymond Richardson - 6'6 - 4/4 tie - Raymond is playing out of position in HS at PF but he's one of those always desirable EGGXXX players. We would love to add him to the team with Gary and see what type of shoot outs we can get into. No clear prefs so really a coin flip.

Have a few other guys i've found that are around 23-28 points that don't look like the leaders are moving on so i'm trying to pick through the dregs to see if any of it is useful. Worst case is I chase for a few weeks and end up with walk ons. Sounds a lot like last recruiting class......

Being able to add one of Lorman or Rush with Sainsbury would be a win for my team in it's search to add height. Getting at least one walk on is probably a likely result but adding one of those two will make me dangerous again next season and really help to balance out the roster and get some guys back to their correct positions. Would be gravy if I can add someone else from the net with height or some skill.

One thing that I have noticed this cycle (that confirms my suspicions from previous cycles) is that their are several agressively recruited guys between about 30-40 RPE after the reveal that are not maxed by people. Plenty of talent in that group. Tweaking a system to identify these guys like Ph has done some work on would provide a lot of value and let you identify guys you could have a CL's at around 40-50 RPE. May be a strategy I try out if I'm feeling frisky one season.

Welcome! A little background: this game was purchased by kmoney many years ago, and had to be shut down due to age. It took kmoney about two years to re-write (not just port) the code and bring the game back online. This "new" game does not play exactly like the old game with which we were familiar. We, and kmoney, are still figuring out what is the same and what is different. That is the discussion, and sometimes frustration, you'll read about oDTL and nDTL. I wouldn't be surprised if kmoney doesn't tweak the code to address some of the user frustrations. He is constantly coding - mostly adding new features at this point.

One of the mistakes I think kmoney made beyond coding the game is letting leagues get 100% full. Basketball is a zero sum game, and losers get frustrated and quit. I am not sure where the magic percentage of human owners is, but I would guess it is around 50-66%. Let cpu teams suck and take the losses and keep the humans happy and interested (and paying). The frustrated humans will quit and we'll end up at the magic equilibrium percentage anyway. The other thing inflaming this issue is that the "upset" setting is set too high, so more often than we'd like, a 200+ ranked team (often coached by cpu) will "upset" (pun intended) a human coach.

My advice, to quote 38 Special, is to "hold on loosely," and treat the game like a work in progress. The old game was great, and we enjoyed playing it for years (2008-2015) here. This new game is much like it, and either we need to learn its differences and/or kmoney will tweak the code some. One of the things that I miss from the old game is the ability to scrimmage HS recruits. I didn't realize how much I would miss that feature. But I'll make do until I get it. It will be worth the wait.

Completely agree about HS scrimmages. I had forgotten my whole method centered around getting a pool of scrimmage players.

But if he comes up with a less tedious, more user friendly format for scrimmages, that’s worth it. It took a long time to set them up before.

I still think some of the upset factor is that there’s little differentiation between teams. But the margins are ridiculous. I’ve still only had one or two close games and I have 10 or 11 wins.

Last edited:
Just checked my stats and all I can do is laugh. SG Larry Gary has the following Slash Line:

52/48/39 GTFO of here.

If anyone needs a known flier instead of a question mark walk-on:

Cole Davis, SG, r17 - EXC scouted FGEP(P)F - chance that Poor intelligence drops to None - not a great player, but a decent bPG. He is sitting at 15 RPEs right now.

Just checked my stats and all I can do is laugh. SG Larry Gary has the following Slash Line:

52/48/39 GTFO of here.

I got a guy like that, too.
SG George Bell 52/43/39 career. He shot 31% 3P his frosh year, 52% 3P his So year to average 43% career so far. But for both of us, when is the last time you saw a guard shoot FT's worse than Shaq?

Are we talking about ACC caliber players?

SG George Bell 52/43/39 career. He shot 31% 3P his frosh year, 52% 3P his So year to average 43% career so far. But for both of us, when is the last time you saw a guard shoot FT's worse than Shaq?

Silly. I guess it makes me feel a little better that it's not just me though.....

How about my JR PG, Frank Riddle (Best +/- player on the team @ +7)...

42/11/33 this season

He's regressed every season both 3pt and Ft shooting.

3pt - 30% down to 23% and 11%
FT - 50% down to 45% and 33%

WTF... Practicing Jump shooting (2.5 seasons) has had a negative impact...

How about my JR PG, Frank Riddle (Best +/- player on the team @ +7)...

42/11/33 this season

He's regressed every season both 3pt and Ft shooting.

3pt - 30% down to 23% and 11%
FT - 50% down to 45% and 33%

WTF... Practicing Jump shooting (2.5 seasons) has had a negative impact...

Woof. That makes zero sense.

Back