• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Online Virtual Coach Simulation

Please post your crazy box scores.

http://drivethelane.com/box?gid=g5624EC51C688

My Myrtle Beach beat storm's Amarillo squad 67-60. Amarillo outshot Myrtle 57 to 37.

The key to the game? Myrtle shot 22-37 fg and 22-36 ft.

Amarillo committed 27 fouls. Myrtle's stud freshman Zaire Billings is 20-22 ft in the last two games.

I don't have a weird individual box score- I have a weird team. Awful offensively, with a single gunner who takes half the shots. He can score from 2, we don't shoot 3's and we turn it over a ton.

On the plus side, despite not turning anyone over, teams can't hit shots against us and we can rebound and don't foul despite being way up there in blocks.

Don't think I've ever had a team in this game before where I wanted to play in the 50's.

Not anyvweird box scores I feel like chasing down but I continued to be baffled by EXC rated shooters who can’t crack 60%. Have my freshman this year at 60% from the FT line and year one the first year that was sub 50%. Just baffling.

I don't have a weird individual box score- I have a weird team. Awful offensively, with a single gunner who takes half the shots. He can score from 2, we don't shoot 3's and we turn it over a ton.

On the plus side, despite not turning anyone over, teams can't hit shots against us and we can rebound and don't foul despite being way up there in blocks.

Don't think I've ever had a team in this game before where I wanted to play in the 50's.

ODOM1.jpg

I hope everyone has created their own formula to evaluate players. There is a good thread about someone who is using (with slight modifications) one done by 538 on actual players
http://forum.drivethelane.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=825

Never really developed a formula - in oDTL, I consciously chose to largely ignore stats, and in nDTL I've been getting by by looking for specific player types that dramatically limit the recruits to sort through- but I've been giving some thought to putting one together. It occurred to me - has anyone ever put anything together with the recruits' shooting percentages? It would require scraping 'last year's stats' which may be against the rules of the game and is probably beyond my limited programming skills, but I feel like it would give a much better baseline for assessing the impact of ratings on scoring than just ppg.

Not to mention that being able to i.d. high-efficiency, low-volume scorers would be hugely valuable.

Last edited:
Bad news: Got run 64-37 by #23 St. Pete. Stud freshman Zaire Billings had over half the points (19) and almost have the FGs (8 of 17). 17-49 from the field. Just embarrassing.

Hopeful news: Picked up two clear leads using my Most Recruited algorithm.

PG 6-4 Brody Nicolson (21.3 pts, 5.7 ast) Poor Scout G- E- E+ G- G-. I was torn between him and one of the Brandon Thomases who has 7.7 ast. I chose Nicolson because he was more likely to be a clear lead and he led Aspen to a 22-5 record last season. Thomas' squad is 3-9.

PF 6-7 Ryan Leinbach (11.2 pts, 7.7 reb, 4.2 ast) Fair Scout G- F- E N+ E-. I was looking for a safe max who could possibly be a bPG or bSF. I'm hurting at both spots. He'll be my fourth priority.

John Lavery and Timothy Wellman are 4/4. Prefs won't swing one way or the other.

I only have two net players to pursue. I'll consider adding some late net players.

Two clear leads for me.

Christopher Arens is the #67 recruit- but only being maxed by me. I kind of suspected that might be the case (he seems like someone who would be appealing in a net), so kept on him despite some unfavorable preferences. He's 6'6" and playing SF, but has a 5.8/1.3 A/TO ratio. Good scout, E+ defense, E- hands, G ATH, looks like G INT. He's being recruited as a PG.

Also have a PG prospect as a CL in the net. May bump him up.

I'm also in on Lavery and will stick it out (looks like three Deacs in that mix).

I'm in a 1/1 on Noah Griffin. He's G+ local and in-conference, the other guy is one over. Fair scout, E- E+ E- G+ G. Stats don't quite back that up, but I like my odds to land him, and think he'll be decent at worst.

Durham Deacs take their 3rd loss in a row - all to teams ranked in 20's and 30's. I guess those early wins against #17 and #36 were flukes.

The good news on recruiting is I have a CL on max Terrell Mixon!
The bad news, and there is much more bad news than good, is that my other maxes are 3/3 and 7/7...
...and I got no leads from my net - almost everyone was maxed.

I am -9 on someone who is recruiting against local prefs. Wonder if that is enough of to make up the difference, or am I actually leading?

There is a team leading with a cpu-like 45 RP's and their last two recruiting classes were ~230/230. Is that a hard luck/bad recruiting human or cpu recruiting an abandoned team?

Gotta be abandoned. If you are 9 back with prefs, you should go for it.

Christ, I hate all of you.

I have two 4/4 and no leads. It have to chase again this season. Four walk-ons in last two classes and this bullshit is old.

Bust reveal in Stillwater. Our maxes are all higher than hoped and the best we've got in the net are a couple of chase opportunities where there are multiple teams ahead of us. Probably going to have to do a little fishing.

On the plus side, we're up to 8-1 with a top 20 PR. The team has been far from dominant against a mediocre schedule but we're winning games. Should be well-positioned for a return trip to the NTT.

Cincy just gave up 113 points in a loss using a starting 5 with +5 defense.

Oh, and our maxes are 1/1, 3/3 and 4/4. Literally 0 good news besides I have a CL in a netter who is 7 feet tall, but likely to come in at GGFFFF.

Womp womp.

I have one clear.
6-8 Anthony Kitzmiller. 9.9 rebounding
2.8 bog
I need big men!
Mick Scott is a 1/1 PG with a good asst/to ratio
I'm on Lavery as others have mentioned
2/2 Jordan Phelps is a 6-9 pf/c.
I have a couple of folks I can go after in my net too.

Not an awful reveal for Flagstaff considering how high we were shooting with our maxes. Dropped off of Xavier Leach after 3 weeks as I liked some of my other lesser options and knew that I couldn't take a class of complete walk ons. Looking at the following:

Anthony Mann 6'11 R21 - A really good glue big man that will give Flagstaff exactly what we need. Not a ton of offense but rebounding, athleticism, and defense at 6'11 and only concerned with getting some PT. I'll take my chances on this one til the end. 2/2 tie

Juan Stowe - 6'8 R 31 - a solid (if slightly undersized big) who is very simliar to Mann but a few inches shorter. Exceptional athlete who does everything well. Yet another 2/2 tie that we will be in til the end. Slightly against his Local pref as he is a Fair- but I have been operating off of a hunch that the "impact" pref is more important on this new system and i've been proven correct on that in an extremely small sample size the last two weeks. Flagstaff has landed two local recruits with Fair- local prefs and looks to do it again this year with Stowe.

Sergio Brown - 6'11 R31 - IMO the best recruit in our region and can do it all. He's GOOD scouted +6 and looks like he's at least a G if not EXC INT guy. I'd be shocked if he isn't at least a +7 and will be an extremely efficient scorer and rebounder in college. Would be the best player on the team as soon as he gets on campus and is our #1 target. He will stay local but there's plenty of competition. We will stay on this 8/8 tie until the end.

Leonardo Antoine - 6'3 - R32 this local PG can do it all but score and is averaging over 8 assist a game. We are 0/1 on this one and will have 17 RP's to place on him the rest of the year. He won't be a star but will be an upgrade for us at the bench guard spots worst case.

I've got several options in my net that look like coaches or CPU coaches have CL's that I think I could catch/pass if I wanted to . Decisions to make but I think I should be able to bring in a few scholarship level guards and then have the 3 chances at ties on big as a worst case scenario. Could be a lot worse....

Durham lost its 4th in a row, this time to a team ranked #120. Now a 5-5 team. Time to shake up the lineup.

Myrtle picked up a great win against #46 Clemson to get to 5-5. I also narrowly lost two scrimmages to #5 Athens (9-1) including their top rated freshman class. The bench shake up I was testing was inconclusive.

I'm going to throw some points around today. I'm not happy with the two netters I have. Both are 4/4. One is underperforming his ratings, but he's a Poor Scout, so I'm still curious. The other sucks and I'm not sure why I netted him. I have points to spare so it's worth it to search for hidden gems.

To help you, Ph, stay away from

Maxed and unranked
Player..........Ht......Rg
Ethan Williams..6/2.....29
Horacio Darr....6/6.....26
Isaiah Joyner...6/1......8
Jordan Keel.....6/8.....12
Zachary Barlow..6/4......7
Abraham Martes..6/5.....25

Not maxed, but have at least 50 RP's
Player..........Ht......Rg
Zachary Compton.6/2.....13
Dylan Moffa.....6/4.....26
Dominic Russell.6/6.....20
Alexis Nunez....6/6.....10
Alex Butler....5/11......9
Blake Dunn......6/3.....22
Sheldon Randall.6/8.....15
Jordan Nickols..6/2.....20

Last edited:
Can someone explain the Impact portion of recruiting? My thought was based on if the person would have a starting role on the team or not, but I am not sure if its their high school position versus what I have open (likely) on my team - or if there is something else completely.

For all 3 of my maxes, they are G or G+ local, 2 are one conference away, one is in my conference, they are all some level of Fair on Win (which is clearly the best shot Cincy would have) - but then all 3 are G or E on impact. Based on the teams I am competing with, I would offer more chance to play (because I have suckier players), but just want to verify I am thinking about that right and not wasting my RPEs.

The explanation in the rules is about as good as you can do.

PH is right. Impact has always been the more gray area of recruiting. It's tied to a bunch of things including # of players +/- 2" of the player (theoretical competition for playing time) and the player's "perceived" ability compared to the rest of your team. Etc. It's the hardest thing to recruit for.

Been out of the loop the past week but here are my recruits to help folks:

Maxes
Theodore Whitaker C24 2/2
Dylan Fluegel C26 CL
Gabriel Swain C6 CL
Nicholas Dunning C 1/1
Dariel Cucci R16 3/3

Players to avoid (50+)
Christopher Bruckner (5) C22
Kale Brainard (32) C5
Aaron Caston (12) C27
Andrew Hostetler C21