• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Onside Kick

I'll never understand why the receiving team just doesn't go after the ball and simply punch it out of bounds

I'll never understand why the receiving team just doesn't go after the ball and simply punch it out of bounds

I think the only problem is once the receiving team touches the ball it is live even if it hasn't gone 10 yards. So if you go after it and don't handle it, the kicking team can recover it before it gets to the 45.

A clean hit while opposing players are rushing you and may hit you as you are hitting the ball or may fly between you and the sideline at the last second.

The tarheels played the onside kick against us perfectly, ball was up in the air and one of their guys swatted it out of bounds and we never had a chance. This kick never really got high enough in the air to try and swat it though, it was a good kick and we got soooooooo lucky.

The tarheels played the onside kick against us perfectly, ball was up in the air and one of their guys swatted it out of bounds and we never had a chance. This kick never really got high enough in the air to try and swat it though, it was a good kick and we got soooooooo lucky.

Agreed - sign of a special season

I get pandering, but to state the play wasn't reviewed is either a inexcusable mistake or an intentional lie.

Their claim is that the review was wrong. Like I said, delusional. A chimp with a head wound could see the call was correct. I certainly hope you didn't intend to imply that I said it wasn't reviewed. Edit to add: Some of them say it was close enough that the refs should have given it to them.

Onside kicks are like suicide missions for the receiving team. You are going to get rocked if you catch the ball.

He also didn't post this article on Twitter like he usually does, presumably knowing that it was crap and would get roasted by comments.

It was the right call but Man it was very close. I think if they hadn’t ruled on field it was illegal - they would have let it stand if they ruled on field it went 10 yards. It was one of those calls that is too close/too important for game to be overturned from ruling on the field. I think we all know what would have happened if State had ball at 45 with 40 seconds left and 2 timeouts. Board would be in full meltdown mode now.

It was the right call but Man it was very close. I think if they hadn’t ruled on field it was illegal - they would have let it stand if they ruled on field it went 10 yards. It was one of those calls that is too close/too important for game to be overturned from ruling on the field. I think we all know what would have happened if State had ball at 45 with 40 seconds left and 2 timeouts. Board would be in full meltdown mode now.

I agree that if the call had initially gone the other way the refs probably wouldn't have overruled it but that would be wrong. The mindset is that yes State make a great play to get to the ball and yes it was close so again the mindset "tie goes to the runner", but that 45 yard line stripe is blindingly white and about 8 inches wide for a reason; same as at the goal line. Even if it was a great play/oh-so-close, the white line don't lie, and he clearly touched it before.

i think intentional batting is the penalty. simply fumbling it out of bounds is not. if you intentionally punched it out of bounds, they'd take the penalty and kick again. i suppose in the right circumstances that would be okay - like if there's 5 seconds left in the game, you could kill the clock with one batting and then fall on the next one...even if the other team recovered there's no time left.

Yeah it was close. Big fucking deal. There are no ties in baseball and close doesn’t mean shit. There’s a reason the ball has to go ten yards. Because it’s pretty fucking easy to recover it when it doesn’t.

The 0.1% of sane state fans know they had a chance because our offense was uncharacteristically bad for much of the game. They couldn’t run against us. They had chances and couldn’t get it done. We were the better team and didn’t play great on offense.

Back