• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ouch

The power disparity in big time college athletics is disturbing. You've got the ADs and coaches being paid millions and spouting bullshit about the importance of education, when in reality these athletic scholarships are renewed on a yearly basis and a coach like Bz can and will fuck over kids whenever he feels like. That was so sad reading that one working class father say he just wanted his son to get a degree. The whole thing is sickening. Such a sleazy business. And this is the man Ron brought to Wake. Craziest hire ever. Ron should've never been allowed to do this.

I do think it must be said that if Bz really has pneumonia and he has not missed a practice, that is admirable dedication...or a suicide wish.
I focused on the pneumonia. Most folks who are really sick would do one of two things. They would stay at home and get better or they would go to work and not say anything. Bzz seems to use the pneumonia as a badge of honor. "I was sick but I was there. I'm giving it my all. I'm such a martyr." Very sad. :tear:

That last sentence nails it. Wellman wanted to hire Bz and nobody at the top stopped him.

bzz sure comes across as a gigantic a hole on a regular basis. smoke/fire and all that. but i don't know him.

question for those that are seeing the colorado articles above for the first time. were you bzz in/ wellman i trust or something else? those articles came out either when he was rumored or shortly after confirmation. they were a big reason many were buzzout day 1 and vocal about it.

The power disparity in big time college athletics is disturbing. You've got the ADs and coaches being paid millions and spouting bullshit about the importance of education, when in reality these athletic scholarships are renewed on a yearly basis and a coach like Bz can and will fuck over kids whenever he feels like. That was so sad reading that one working class father say he just wanted his son to get a degree. The whole thing is sickening. Such a sleazy business. And this is the man Ron brought to Wake. Craziest hire ever. Ron should've never been allowed to do this.

While I agree with you, it did say in the article that Colorado would continue to provide non-athletic financial aid for the ones Bz kicked off the team. Not sure what that all would be.

Come on, guys, he's just a soul whose intentions are good…

While I agree with you, it did say in the article that Colorado would continue to provide non-athletic financial aid for the ones Bz kicked off the team. Not sure what that all would be.

never said scholarships just "aide."

The kids want to play basketball as well. That aide is like the child who slowly reaches for the check at the restaurant just praying their parents pick it up. 'I'll get that'...'oh you didn't have to'. Colorado knew they were never going to have to pay that bill. Basketball players want to play ball, not be regular students...especially ones that are good enough to play high major basketball.

People still don't believe that [Redacted] is a total cunt? Seriously?

Fuck that guy.

I've never been able to figure out how deacvision7 really feels about bzz.

I like to play my cards close to my chest...just like my idol, Ron Wellman.

That last sentence nails it. Wellman wanted to hire Bz and nobody at the top stopped him.

I still would love to see an in depth article on the details surrounding the BZ hire. How many people were actually considered? How many people did Wellman talk to about [Redacted]? How much time did he spend researching [Redacted]? Was Wellman aware of the communication struggles/social awkwardness? Was Wellman aware of [Redacted]'s road record at CU?

Until it's proven otherwise, I will always believe that Wellman targeted [Redacted] from the beginning, did little research nor vetting, and truly followed a "hunch". It will go down as one of the worst hires for a major D1 program in the last quarter century

I still would love to see an in depth article on the details surrounding the BZ hire. How many people were actually considered? How many people did Wellman talk to about [Redacted]? How much time did he spend researching [Redacted]? Was Wellman aware of the communication struggles/social awkwardness? Was Wellman aware of [Redacted]'s road record at CU?

Until it's proven otherwise, I will always believe that Wellman targeted [Redacted] from the beginning, did little research nor vetting, and truly followed a "hunch". It will go down as the worst hire for a major D1 program in the last quarter century

fify

i'd love to read an interview with air force, colorado people about bzz. i'm guessing the inge's mentioned above would have some interesting dirt. bsd?

i'd love to read an interview with air force, colorado people about bzz. i'm guessing the inge's mentioned above would have some interesting dirt. bsd?

mundy is on it as we speak, emailing the inges in his tighty whities with the little yellow pee stain

Until it's proven otherwise, I will always believe that Wellman targeted [Redacted] from the beginning, did little research nor vetting, and truly followed a "hunch". It will go down as one of the worst hires for a major D1 program in the last quarter century
I tend to believe the version of events that's been most commonly circulated -- that Wellman initiated preliminary contact with Brad Stevens, Tubby Smith, and/or Steve Alford, was quickly and quietly rebuffed, and then (like you aptly summarized) turned to his "hunch" and followed [Redacted] all the way through.

I tend to believe the version of events that's been most commonly circulated -- that Wellman initiated preliminary contact with Brad Stevens, Tubby Smith, and/or Steve Alford and pitched his Winning the Right Way culture, then was quickly and quietly rebuffed, and then (like you aptly summarized) turned to his "hunch" and followed [Redacted] all the way through.

FIFY

Pardon but....since when is a reporter permitted to attend a practice ? Was Dan the lone reporter in attendance ? How long have practice sessions been 'open' or was this just an accomodation to Dan alone ?

I just always assumed that in season practice sessions were closed and the media was permitted access to players/coaches at their conclusion.

Pardon but....since when is a reporter permitted to attend a practice ? Was Dan the lone reporter in attendance ? How long have practice sessions been 'open' or was this just an accomodation to Dan alone ?

I just always assumed that in season practice sessions were closed and the media was permitted access to players/coaches at their conclusion.

Coaches discretion. Practices are often open to the media. It is a good way to allow the media to get to know your team (and often increases the likelihood that they write more in depth interesting articles (which is good for publicity). Not uncommon at all.

I don't think many reporters are beating down the doors to attend practice. Since Dan is really the only reporter that covers WF basketball on a regular basis, I could see WF giving him access that is not generally available to other members of the media.

Back