• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ouch

[Redacted] is not a good guy. He is an odd personality, but he has not been a good guy at Air Force, at Colorado, nor at Wake Forest. But he is who he is. Always has been, always will be.

[Redacted] was a lousy, unsuccessful, and unpopular coach in Boulder. Ron Wellman made a horrible mistake in offering the job to Bzdklik and has compounded that horrible decision time and time again by supporting the loser he hired, and retained way, way too long.

It is sad how poorly Bz manages his media presence. For someone to have coached as long as he has, it is inexcusable to be so unprepared for tough questions. Instead of diffusing the situation he Inflames it.

-----------

REPORTER: "You have lost 5 in a row and the chance to make the NCAA tournament is pretty much nonexistent. How do you motivate your players to give their best?"

COACH: "We are a program that strives to win championships and unless I am mistaken we still have a conference championship in a few weeks. What we need to do now is improve on a daily basis and strive to put ourselves in the best possible situation for the tournament. The more games we can win the better seed we have for the tournament and the greater our odds of coming home with a trophy. So it is very easy to motivate the team. We all want to win championships and you do that one day at a time. "

--------

It is so simple. Has Bz never heard a successful coach give an interview?

Last edited:
Bz doesn't watch TV or use the internet.

It is sad how poorly Bz manages his media presence. For someone to have coaches as long as he has, it is inexcusable to be so unprepared for tough questions. Instead of diffusing the situation he Inflames it.

-----------

REPORTER: "You have lost 5 in a row and the chance to make the NCAA tournament is pretty much nonexistent. How do you motivate your players to give their best?"

COACH: "We are a program that strives to win championships and unless I am mistaken we still have a conference championship in a few weeks. What we need to do now is improve on a daily basis and strive to out ourselves in the best possible situation for the tournament. The more games we can win the better seed we have for the tournament and the greater our odds of coming home with a trophy. So it is very easy to motivate the team. We all want to win championships and you do that one day at a time. "

--------

It is so simple. Has Bz never heard a successful coach give an interview?

That's the worst thing about Wellman hiring Bzzz in the first place in my opinion. The head coach has to be the face of the program with the media and the fans, it's a very important part of the job, and everybody knew coming in that [Redacted] was terrible at that aspect.

^Part of the problem is he actually thinks he's a successful coach. "I've been to the NBA playoffs nine times as an assistant or head coach!" Yeah, ok buddy, lot of good that's done ya.

^Part of the problem is he actually thinks he's a successful coach. "I've been to the NBA playoffs nine times as an assistant or head coach!" Yeah, ok buddy, lot of good that's done ya.

Like that's something to brag about anyway, considering how many NBA teams make the playoffs.

I don't hate buzz, but don't buy the nice guy part. He seems awkward and blames the players too much. Hard to blame him for taking the $$$ to coach in the ACC.

RW deserves the blame. He had a plan (Winning the Right Way) but totally whiffed on hiring buzz. Had he blew it up last year and started over, I would have been ok with him. Shoving all in last year was just horrendous.

I don't hate buzz, but don't buy the nice guy part. He seems awkward and blames the players too much. Hard to blame him for taking the $$$ to coach in the ACC.

RW deserves the blame. He had a plan (Winning the Right Way) but totally whiffed on hiring buzz. Had he blew it up last year and started over, I would have been ok with him. Shoving all in last year was just horrendous.

Nothing that he's presented to us makes it seem he is a nice guy. Now, maybe with his family and friends he's that salt of the earth, but for what we as fans have to go on, he's done nothing to endear himself to us.

I mean you could pair me up with a future hall of famer and I would make the playoffs 9 times as well. [Redacted] has made a career out of taking credit for other's success and passing blame for his failures to others.

Taking the Wake job and being a horrible coach while making 1.4 million a year doesn't make [Redacted] an asshole. Being an asshole makes [Redacted] an asshole.

Please elaborate I honestly have no idea what this is but it gets so annoying how we turn Buzz into this evil dude who sucks at life. If Wellman played golf with any of us and said 'hey I'd love for you to be the next Wake coach' every one of us would do it for $1mm/yr in a heartbeat. (Don't give me the 'I'd do what's best for my alma mater' BS.) Then after a few years Wellman still keeps you around for meeting his absurd goals even though you're clearly in over your head and all of a sudden people call you a jackass and question your character and make fun of you driving a Prius.

All of our energy and hatred should be directed to Wellman.

He's not an evil dude who sucks at life because he took the job. I'd have taken the job too. He's an evil dude who sucks at life because of what he has done while on the job, and at previous stops (see all of the discussion above). There's no lack of energy to be focused on both Wellman and Buzz. They are both at fault here.

He's not an evil dude who sucks at life because he took the job. I'd have taken the job too. He's an evil dude who sucks at life because of what he has done while on the job, and at previous stops (see all of the discussion above). There's no lack of energy to be focused on both Wellman and Buzz. They are both at fault here.
Buzz is a good assistant coach/scout. Buzz is also a bad head coach who receives constant positive feedback from his delusional boss.

Buzz is a good assistant coach/scout. Buzz is also a bad head coach who receives constant positive feedback from his delusional boss.

He's probably cut out really well to be a scout. That's a job where he can kind of keep to himself, travel around and report to the organization and not have to deal with the media and fans.

I'll concede the scout part of the first point, because I don't care enough to research whether he was a good NBA scout and there seems to be some evidence he was. I don't really think there's any way he would be a good bench assistant due to his lack of X's and O's, awful recruiting and inability to, you know, coach. Assistants still need to be able to coach/teach, even if they don't deal with the media, set overall direction, etc that a head coach does (also things Buzz fails at). I'll happily agree with the second point. But, at no point did you provide a counter to the point I made, that as demonstrated by multiple documented examples above, he's simply not a good dude who found himself in a bad situation. He's a bad dude in a worse situation, who was placed there by Wellman. Plenty of fault to go around.

Last edited:
I re-read this again this morning, pretty entertaining article by Dan. Good stuff. Just had to LOL at the line about what an enigma the guy is. And yes, [Redacted] is an asshole.

everybody knew coming in that [Redacted] was terrible at that aspect.
I don't remember that being the case. I remember being surprised he was so awkward at it despite having been in the NBA for so long.

I don't remember that being the case. I remember being surprised he was so awkward at it despite having been in the NBA for so long.

Everybody but you knew then. I remember people posting his interviews from YouTube and it was clear he had no idea how to talk to the media.

I'm guessing you saw it and ignored the obvious because you trusted Wellman.

You were misinformed then. I think we heard it from UC fans and others. That's beside the point of course, the point is Ron Wellman should've been keenly aware of this having worked with the man at Northwestern and if Wellman had done his research by reviewing tapes of Bzzz's pressers and other interactions with the media at other jobs.

Back