• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ouch

Pardon but....since when is a reporter permitted to attend a practice ? Was Dan the lone reporter in attendance ? How long have practice sessions been 'open' or was this just an accomodation to Dan alone ?

I just always assumed that in season practice sessions were closed and the media was permitted access to players/coaches at their conclusion.

Practice is not "open" in terms of anyone who wants to attend can. However, practice is open to media who contact the program in advance. Dan has a standing invite and is usually there.

That last sentence nails it. Wellman wanted to hire Bz and nobody at the top stopped him.

While the hire was kind of jolting, there was a lot more reason to buy into the "In Wellman I trust" attitude four years ago. To say the least, a lot has changed since then.

Thanks Wrang and Pilch.

Just thought it was unusual in-season and more likely to be an accomodation during pre-season practices.

I'm not all bonkers over this MTOW. Dan admits he didn't know Jeff has been battling pneumonia ( presumedly walking pneumonia ) when he asked his question. But geezes Dan, even sans the illness, what'd you expect him to say...." Yea Dan you're right, season's over and we haven't got a thing to play for now " ???

Sorry, I like Dan but this is the second time ( post @VT win presser ) he's lowered himself to unnecessary 'baiting'. Everyone has DEFINITELY known for weeks that Jeff is gone and there's no need at this point to twist the knife in the corpes. And BTW, Dan got so wrapped up in Jeff he neglected to mention anything about the dang practice.

Just my .02....

I imagine future interviews between dan and Jeff are going to be pretty tense.

Of course, since Jeff doesn't (or possibly can't) read the paper or internet maybe he won't know any better.

Thanks Wrang and Pilch.

Just thought it was unusual in-season and more likely to be an accomodation during pre-season practices.

I'm not all bonkers over this MTOW. Dan admits he didn't know Jeff has been battling pneumonia ( presumedly walking pneumonia ) when he asked his question. But geezes Dan, even sans the illness, what'd you expect him to say...." Yea Dan you're right, season's over and we haven't got a thing to play for now " ???

Sorry, I like Dan but this is the second time ( post @VT win presser ) he's lowered himself to unnecessary 'baiting'. Everyone has DEFINITELY known for weeks that Jeff is gone and there's no need at this point to twist the knife in the corpes. And BTW, Dan got so wrapped up in Jeff he neglected to mention anything about the dang practice.

Just my .02....

I think it was generous of Dan to extend the opportunity for Bz to show how he motivates his team even deep in a crappy slump 3/4 of the way through a crappy season. Bz, could have given Dan an inspiration quote to publish, or shown us all what keeps him coming in to work even though he's got pneumonia. Of course BZ missed that chance and decided to chew out the questioner instead of giving Dan a great quote to use in is blog that would endear the fanbase to our underdog story. I believe Dan was being generous here and that Bz is just awful at all aspects of his job.

Either that or Dan is directed to write a column each week and has just run out of things to write so he is spit balling questions to see what sticks.

The power disparity in big time college athletics is disturbing. You've got the ADs and coaches being paid millions and spouting bullshit about the importance of education, when in reality these athletic scholarships are renewed on a yearly basis and a coach like Bz can and will fuck over kids whenever he feels like. That was so sad reading that one working class father say he just wanted his son to get a degree. The whole thing is sickening. Such a sleazy business. And this is the man Ron brought to Wake. Craziest hire ever. Ron should've never been allowed to do this.

Inge's brother went on to play four years at Temple, but James never did find anywhere else to play. I hope he was able to get his degree because Camden may be the worst place in the US.

Don't forget, Wellman sent Buzz to charm school after the first year or two on the job to try to improve his communication skills/style.

It is sad how poorly Bz manages his media presence. For someone to have coached as long as he has, it is inexcusable to be so unprepared for tough questions. Instead of diffusing the situation he Inflames it.

-----------

REPORTER: "You have lost 5 in a row and the chance to make the NCAA tournament is pretty much nonexistent. How do you motivate your players to give their best?"

COACH: "We are a program that strives to win championships and unless I am mistaken we still have a conference championship in a few weeks. What we need to do now is improve on a daily basis and strive to put ourselves in the best possible situation for the tournament. The more games we can win the better seed we have for the tournament and the greater our odds of coming home with a trophy. So it is very easy to motivate the team. We all want to win championships and you do that one day at a time. "

--------

It is so simple. Has Bz never heard a successful coach give an interview?

Practice is not "open" in terms of anyone who wants to attend can. However, practice is open to media who contact the program in advance. Dan has a standing invite and is usually there.

Eeewwwwww. Didn't realize Dan spends most every day in season watching Buzzdick's basterdized imitation of the sport of basketball. Really sucks to be Dan, though I guess it's still a step up from farm labor or working in a poultry processing plant.

Win at what?

He's pretty much the best I've ever seen at throwing current and former players, fans and prior coaches under the bus and deflecting blame. I don't think I've ever seen another coach excel like he does.

Back