• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ouch

Other than the social awkwardness he seems OK. Can't blame a man for being ambitious. Can blame a man for hiring an ambitious yet *severely* underqulified golf buddy. Falls on Wellman 100%.

I feel this. I don't really hate Bzz. I understand taking this job. It is a good gig. The one that I hate and cannot fathom is that fucker Wellman. He made this hire.

I know I am in the minority but I actually feel bad for Bz. He was put into a situation he was clearly not ready for. He seems like a good man...just not a very good basketball coach, at least not at this level

Been saying this for two years. He's not his own fault. He's Wellman's.

Please elaborate I honestly have no idea what this is but it gets so annoying how we turn Buzz into this evil dude who sucks at life. If Wellman played golf with any of us and said 'hey I'd love for you to be the next Wake coach' every one of us would do it for $1mm/yr in a heartbeat. (Don't give me the 'I'd do what's best for my alma mater' BS.) Then after a few years Wellman still keeps you around for meeting his absurd goals even though you're clearly in over your head and all of a sudden people call you a jackass and question your character and make fun of you driving a Prius.

All of our energy and hatred should be directed to Wellman.

I agree with the bold, but that doesn't make Buzz suck any less. The article has curiously gone missing from the interwebs, but here's a mention of the incident in question:

After years of mediocrity, Colorado hoops fans are ecstatic about the arrival of former Air Force and Denver Nuggets coach Jeff [Redacted]. Unfortunately, some of [Redacted]'s early moves have rubbed people the wrong way. On Tuesday, the school issued a release saying sophomore guard Kelvin Bay -- who averaged 6.3 points, 1.9 assists and 1.3 rebounds per game as a freshman -- will not return to the team next season. The following day, the Rocky Mountain News reported that Bay and three other freshman (Marc Van Burck, Sean Kowal and James Inge) were not leaving on their own accord. Instead, the paper reported, [Redacted] told the players their scholarships wouldn't be renewed.

Bay, who was still on the Boulder campus, got booted from his dorm room last Friday because the school's "May-mester" ended on May 31 and he was forced to stay with a couple friends on the women's team. Inge, who is in good academic standing and played in 15 games last season -- is going through the appeals process and told the paper, "My scholarship was taken unjustly, then it comes out that I chose to leave, which is totally untrue."

We feel for Inge. He made a commitment to attend Colorado for four years and the school made a commitment back to him. He held up his end of the deal and shouldn't be punished by a new coach. While we know [Redacted] wants to put the best possible team on the floor, he shouldn't do it at the expense of a young man's future, especially one who did everything asked of him. Coaches can come and go at will and the players must stay put or risk having to sit out a year if they transfer. Now, we're learning that players are being viewed as disposable commodities. That just isn't right.

It's all that is left & would be a first for him here, so why wouldn't he be excited about that? If it was football, we would be excited about going 7-6 most years.....just saying

Is buzz really exiting stage left the sympathetic character? The "victim"?

Holy shit, Wellman is a smart mo fo.

Buzz made ~$4.5 million from Wake for sucking at his job for 4 years. That's ~$3082/day. No sympathy whatsoever.

I don't feel bad for him but I don't hate him. I despise Wellman. I would gladly take a major pay increase for a job I wasn't qualified for.

During the summer, Buzz was getting paid $3082/day working his tail off recruiting unranked players like Rondale Watson and Cornelius Hudson. Heck, he was getting $3082/day during his talks with Bill Self and Pop. The sympathy card is laughable. I'll take that gig and all of the public criticism for substantially less.

That sounds like a sociopath.

And here's the story of another one of those players who had their scholarship revoked.

James C. Inge, a dock worker in New Jersey, is learning the hard way about the business side of college athletics.

He remains upset that his son, James R. Inge, was told last month by new CU basketball coach Jeff [Redacted] that his basketball scholarship would not be renewed. [Redacted] informed the 6-foot-3 guard his skill set would not fit with the new staff's version of a Princeton offense.

James R. Inge is one four sophomores-to-be who won't return, joining centers Sean Kowal and Marc Van Burck and guard Kal Bay. Each was signed by former CU coach Ricardo Patton.

"[Redacted] got at least two years every place he's been, but he's not going to give my son a chance after watching him in practice? That's not right," James C. Inge said Thursday.

"The University of Colorado promised my son a (basketball) scholarship, and that's what I'm going by."

Kowal, Van Burck and Inge were given the option of remaining at Colorado on non-athletic financial aid and apart from the basketball program, CU athletic director Mike Bohn said. Bay's dismissal from the program involved reasons apart from athletics, Bohn said, but he would not elaborate in order to protect the privacy of the student-athlete.

Bohn said he "unequivocally" supports the decisions made by [Redacted], who said Thursday he has "taken the high road" in this and has been honest with the players and their parents.

"We're in constant communication," Bohn said. "Jeff is not doing it independently."

Of the four released, only Bay drew substantial playing time last season. Bay started 12 games and ranked sixth on the team in scoring (6.3 points). Inge played in 15 of the 27 games and totaled 11 points and 10 rebounds for the season.

Dee Menzies, CU's director of eligibility certification, said Bay currently lacks the requirements to be academically eligible for next season. Bay is enrolled in CU summer classes to make himself eligible for a transfer, an NCAA requirement to secure a scholarship at another school.

James C. Inge was unaware that college scholarships, including those for basketball and football, are renewed on a yearly basis. He would like to challenge [Redacted]'s decision and speak with Bohn. But the family isn't sure it can afford a trip to Boulder, said James C. Inge, who lives in New Jersey.

"I understand it's a business," the elder Inge said. "If they could find James another school that would give him a scholarship, I would be fine with that. I want him to get a degree."

Bohn said he and [Redacted] are working hard to find places in other basketball programs for those who have departed. But they have been unsuccessful.

"We wish the best for those kids and want to help ensure that they have a viable future in whatever endeavors they choose," Bohn said.

[Redacted] told The Denver Post recently that he thought it best for all parties when a player elects to transfer after the new coach informs him that his talents do not fit the new system.

"It's important that you're honest with players," [Redacted] said last month. "And the proper way to do it would be to say, 'If I was the present coach at this university when you were in high school, I would not have recruited you, because you don't fit into the style of play we're implementing."'

My take on Dan's article.

Bzz hasn't done enough to return next year, the writing is on the wall.

Bzz is weird, people don't get him, but he's not a bad guy.

And here's the story of another one of those players who had their scholarship revoked.

Wake20 told ogboards recently that he thought it best for all parties when a coach elects to resign after the fan base informs him that his talents do not fit their desires to win.

"It's important that you're honest with players," [Redacted] said last month. "And the proper way to do it would be to say, 'If I was the present coach at this university when you were in high school, I would not have recruited you, because you don't fit into the style of play we're implementing."'

That's the one.

[Redacted] is insane.

That is stunning. He dumps good kids in the name of implementing a Princeton offense that doesn't work. He should be working at Sears. And that is an insult to Sears.

And you haven't even pointed out the most incredible reveal of that quote

Back