• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

Self had Illinois as a #1 seed his first year there. Although the credit should go to COOKIE.

Donovan actually looks like a pretty good counterpoint, although I'd contend he took over a program in a pretty meh situation and quickly turned them around. And although I try not to much too much stock in NCAA success, he did take one of his teams to the finals (although like you alluded to, a lot of luck involved).

I think Donovan may also be the exception to the "good coaches don't become great coaches" because IIRC he admitted that his recruiting philosophy of just getting highly ranked dudes and throwing them together wasn't working (I think after the whole Roberson, Walsh, Drejer class didn't work out) and instead decided to actually recruit around a system, which is when he really starting putting together elite teams.

"That first year was a real surprise. I basically just rolled the ball out there and told COOKIE to do his thang. We ended up with a one-seed." -Bill Self (unverified)

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 4m
Washington State has fired Ken Bone, sources told ESPN. Story coming.

They should really hire Leon Rice, Wash St alum.

FWIW

Hokies Journal ‏@HokiesJournal 4m
3) Key factors: How much is Babcock willing to spend and if/when Wake Forest fires Jeff [Redacted]. Wake viewed as a 'better job' by coaches.

scaled.php

Doug Gottlieb ‏@GottliebShow 1h
Ken Bone #Filleted #Wazzu — Ernie Kent is the rumor

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 6m
Early names on Washington State wish list -- per sources -- include former Oregon coach Ernie Kent and Boise State's Leon Rice.

Last edited:
@GoodmanESPN: Big question is where Ben Howland lands this offseason. Former UCLA coach isn't good at sitting around. Wants back in -- ASAP.

Not news, I guess... But his name hasn't been linked with any of the current openings.

@ESPNAndyKatz: Amaker has done so well that he could easily be in line someday to replace K at Duke. No reason to compete against him in ACC.

Katz thinks here is no way Amaker leaves Harvard for BC... Goodman doesn't seem so sure.

@GoodmanESPN: Big question is where Ben Howland lands this offseason. Former UCLA coach isn't good at sitting around. Wants back in -- ASAP.

Not news, I guess... But his name hasn't been linked with any of the current openings.

It's been linked with South Florida. Doubt he would take that job though.

I had forgotten Pearl went to BC... Have to think they at least inquired. Masiello seems like a good fit, though.

The BC folks around here seem to think Pearl was off limits due to the NCAA issues and that they will at least put the full court press on Amaker before moving on. He wouldn't even have to move.

BC and VT are the worst jobs in the ACC. Both are dead end jobs. It'd be sad to see a guy like Masiello go to BC to die. RIP Steve.

I didn't think Pearl's show cause ban ended until August, I may be wrong though...probably am.

It doesn't. He can't have contact with a recruit til August, but can evaluate them in evaluation period. Chances he bumps into a player during evaluation period 100%. Chances he is reported and sanctioned 100%.

Back