• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

PA Voter ID law ruled unconstitutional

Weird for a UNC grad to be bustin' balls about UNC to somebody who didn't go there.

If you can't be bothered to obtain a picture ID, you certainly can't be bothered to cast an informed vote.

BS, you may not need to drive. You may be too old to drive. You may well have a work or student ID.

Your response classist.

Getting an ID cost money. Even if the state provides it free, you still have to pay to get there. Making someone spend money or not be able to vote is the classic definition of a poll tax. A poll tax is undeniably unconstitutional.

In PA the AG stated in sworn testimony that he couldn't find a single case of voter impersonation. He further stated he didn't foresee any cases happening if there was no ID law. Further, the Majority Leader in the Statehouse publicly stated the reason for the law was political. It would give Republicans a better chance win.

The same was said in Florida by the Chairman of the Republican Party. These laws have nothing voter fraud. They are 100% about voter suppression. You are either in self-denial or lying to us if you post otherwise.

Voter ID are quite simply the 21st century version of Jim Crow voting laws. There's no way around this fact.

BS, you may not need to drive. You may be too old to drive. You may well have a work or student ID.

Your response classist.

Getting an ID cost money. Even if the state provides it free, you still have to pay to get there. Making someone spend money or not be able to vote is the classic definition of a poll tax. A poll tax is undeniably unconstitutional.

In PA the AG stated in sworn testimony that he couldn't find a single case of voter impersonation. He further stated he didn't foresee any cases happening if there was no ID law. Further, the Majority Leader in the Statehouse publicly stated the reason for the law was political. It would give Republicans a better chance win.

The same was said in Florida by the Chairman of the Republican Party. These laws have nothing voter fraud. They are 100% about voter suppression. You are either in self-denial or lying to us if you post otherwise.

Voter ID are quite simply the 21st century version of Jim Crow voting laws. There's no way around this fact.

Why don't you object to the requirement to carry an i.d. in the other 10,000 operations that involve life as an adult in 2014? Health care being chief among them. I can't muster the lack of faith in my fellow human being that you seem to hold. Why do you persist on insinuating that the voter i.d. requirement only suppresses minority votes? How little must you think of minority voters' abilities? Do you realize how deplorable the underlying assumptions of your accusations sound?

Last edited:
We should just put bar codes on everyone at birth and be done with it.

I shudder to think of where minorities in this country would be without the steady, paternalistic hand of rj and his ilk to guide them.

I shudder to think of where minorities in this country would be without the steady, paternalistic hand of rj and his ilk to guide them.

The assumptions behind a lot of hard left policies are genuinely appalling. I had no idea that only minorities struggle with compliance with existing drivers' license laws.

It's Republicans who are paternalistic to minorities not me. You should really look up the meaning of the word. it's the GOP who tells minorities that Republicans know what's best for them.

When you can't justify spending spending millions of dollars to intentionally suppress the vote make it about me.

Yep it's better to fire teachers and cops so that stats like NC, PA, TX and others can find a "solution" to a problem that doesn't exist. Fuck the kids, fuck the old people, fuck public safety, 05 wants to you to spend millions to stop non-existent voter impersonation.

05, what do you have to say about Republican leaders who admit to the press their laws are voter suppression?

It's Republicans who are paternalistic to minorities not me. You should really look up the meaning of the word. it's the GOP who tells minorities that Republicans know what's best for them.

When you can't justify spending spending millions of dollars to intentionally suppress the vote make it about me.

Yep it's better to fire teachers and cops so that stats like NC, PA, TX and others can find a "solution" to a problem that doesn't exist. Fuck the kids, fuck the old people, fuck public safety, 05 wants to you to spend millions to stop non-existent voter impersonation.

05, what do you have to say about Republican leaders who admit to the press their laws are voter suppression?

If I were you, I wouldn't take that approach. Probably won't turn out very well for you.

You have to admit that Reince Priebus has taken the track that creating difficulties for minorities to vote will win elections rather than getting minorities to vote for his party to win elections.

You have to admit that Reince Priebus has taken the track that creating difficulties for minorities to vote will win elections rather than getting minorities to vote for his party to win elections.

Pubs have failed miserably to send the right message to a number of groups. No doubt. A much better approach would ask the question "What has fifty years of voting for the other party gotten you?" I think a clear-eyed look at the results of fifty years of Dem loyalty is the best approach, b/c the statistics paint a dismal picture. It's an unforced error that Pubs have yielded the field to Dems, given what has actually happened over that time span.

Pubs have failed miserably to send the right message to a number of groups. No doubt. A much better approach would ask the question "What has fifty years of voting for the other party gotten you?" I think a clear-eyed look at the results of fifty years of Dem loyalty is the best approach, b/c the statistics paint a dismal picture. It's an unforced error that Pubs have yielded the field to Dems, given what has actually happened over that time span.

Totally agree. The "what has voting for the other party done for you?" is much easier to sell than "we want your votes, but don't want you to vote."

Next we need to strike down these ridiculous laws that require an ID to buy alcohol, buy cigarettes, get on an airplane, open a bank account, apply for welfare, apply for a job, rent a house, apply for a mortgage, get married, apply for a hunting licenses, and buy a gun. All of those ID requirements clearly are targeted at minorities as well.

Next we need to strike down these ridiculous laws that require an ID to buy alcohol, buy cigarettes, get on an airplane, open a bank account, apply for welfare, apply for a job, rent a house, apply for a mortgage, get married, apply for a hunting licenses, and buy a gun. All of those ID requirements clearly are targeted at minorities as well.

Nobody had to make up stupid reasons to justify the need for ID in those cases. If you want wider support for voter ID requirements stop with all the voter fraud bullshit.

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

Nobody had to make up stupid reasons to justify the need for ID in those cases. If you want wider support for voter ID requirements stop with all the voter fraud bullshit.

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

There's pretty broad support for it now. Polls I've seen say that 75% of Americans favor voter ID laws.

I guess arguing with rj's embellishments and exaggerations are way easier than actually reading the judge's decision and trying to figure out why she was wrong

Back