• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Peace out public service loan forgiveness

yeah, they are great. I could be wrong. When Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 350 comes out they'll probably use Picture Book for the fun pre-credit sequence

From Wikipedia: "In the U.S., the generation can be segmented into two broadly defined cohorts: The Leading-Edge Baby Boomers are individuals born between 1946 and 1955, those who came of age during the Vietnam War era."

Ray Davies was born in '44, so not a Boomer. Jagger was born in '43, also not a boomer. McCartney was born in 42, not a boomer. Jerry Garcia, born in '42, not a boomer. David Crosby, '41...I could go on and on.

Totally intend to pay off debts BKF. I respect my obligations. Its not likely I can do that in public service however due to the cost of an advanced degree. Do you suggest I stay in public service and hold off on buying a house, having kids, purchasing a new car, etc forever? I thought those were all good things for our economy. Private sector will allow me to do those things. Just sucks for the veterans who rely on the VA for their medical care- but who gives a shit about veterans amirite?

Last edited:
I can report from the front lines that they are working fairly hard and smart on solving VA issues. All they're lacking is congressional funding.

I read yesterday that student loan debt now makes up more than 10% of all household debt in the United States. It's well beyond out of control, and no one is talking about it.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

LOL. Everybody's been talking about it for at least the last 5 years.

Prosecutors and public defenders in Massachusetts make under 45k a year and some areas make under 40k. Who is going to fill those jobs if it costs a ridiculous amount just to take the prereq degree to have the job?

LOL. Everybody's been talking about it for at least the last 5 years.
I hear a lot of political talk about the runaway cost of education and the effects of government subsidy on that. I hear very little on the economic consumer repercussions of the largest American generaction being crippled with debt that cant be absolved.

From Wikipedia: "In the U.S., the generation can be segmented into two broadly defined cohorts: The Leading-Edge Baby Boomers are individuals born between 1946 and 1955, those who came of age during the Vietnam War era."

Ray Davies was born in '44, so not a Boomer. Jagger was born in '43, also not a boomer. McCartney was born in 42, not a boomer. Jerry Garcia, born in '42, not a boomer. David Crosby, '41...I could go on and on.

exactly; boomers just rode the wave of real creativity and then ruined the music industry by creating the 'hit machines' of the now

Prosecutors and public defenders in Massachusetts make under 45k a year and some areas make under 40k. Who is going to fill those jobs if it costs a ridiculous amount just to take the prereq degree to have the job?

The same people who fill those jobs now: those who go to law school thinking they'll make $100k+ per year and then realize that they aren't smart enough to compete for those jobs so have to take the next level down. Most didn't go to law school aiming for those jobs or the loan forgiveness that goes with them, they took those jobs because they didn't have a choice.

Essentially - agencies are going to have to increase salaries significantly to hire for the tough to fill positions. The VA already has a hard time retaining a lot of the medical professionals who can make a lot more elsewhere. All this forgiveness really is are retroactive salary bumps for serving for a specific amount of time and making all your payments on time. You get rid of the program it's still gonna cost you the $ in talent acquisition unless you would rather take the hit in things like quality of veteran's care or quality of education in public schools.

Last edited:
How is the economy going to "bounce back" from this?
246265bfee0ae091064f0369e622b04d.jpg

The same people who fill those jobs now: those who go to law school thinking they'll make $100k+ per year and then realize that they aren't smart enough to compete for those jobs so have to take the next level down. Most didn't go to law school aiming for those jobs or the loan forgiveness that goes with them, they took those jobs because they didn't have a choice.

CPCS (public defenders) is one of the most competitive sectors in Massachusetts. Don't talk about things you don't know.

exactly; boomers just rode the wave of real creativity and then ruined the music industry by creating the 'hit machines' of the now

David Coverdale of WhiteSnake fame, born in '51. Joe Elliot from Def Leppard, '59. Brett Michaels, '63. All Boomers, all played shitty music. Lou Pearlman and boy band architect was born in '51. Boomers ruined rock music. Only good thing was the Zepplin and the emergence of punk rock with the Clash, the Ramones, Iggy Pop, etc, but even those guys took a lot of their ideas from Lou Reed, who was born before the boomer generation.

CPCS (public defenders) is one of the most competitive sectors in Massachusetts. Don't talk about things you don't know.

That's because there are a bunch of idiots in Massachusetts and a bunch of law schools there who cater to said idiots. And there always will be both, so there shouldn't be a problem filling those positions.

That's because there are a bunch of idiots in Massachusetts and a bunch of law schools there who cater to said idiots. And there always will be both, so there shouldn't be a problem filling those positions.

No it's because it's a state that cares about access to justice instead of a state that gets struck down by the 4th Circuit for using race to suppress votes.

The conservative mindset: the only people who deserve financial well being are farmers and CEOs

Back