• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

People u went to high school w/ who were murdered, drug overdose, suicide, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paige_Summers
This girl was in my high school class. She dropped out, started stripping locally, and later made the "big time." A few years later she died of a drug overdose in a house at Lake James outside of Morganton. On a side note, I made out with her at a junior high dance. I hadn't seen or heard of her after I graduated high school and then happened to see this magazine cover while walking through an airport during my senior year of college. Bought a copy on the spot...

images

We had a lot of deaths my four years of HS. An aneurysm,a heart condition, a prescription drug OD, 3 kids in a car accident (and another was paralyzed in a car accident). At least one kid died every year of HS.

It was a pretty tragic four years. Also, my next-door-neighbor died of a methadone overdose a couple of years after we graduated.

My favorite story, though, was that AceofWake and I were driving around (while enrolled at Wake), and we saw one of my old high school classmates -- who was a pretty nice guy and not a troublemaker -- and some people at a gas station filling up. We asked them what was going on, and they told us that they were driving to SC to buy fireworks. 'Cool!', we said.

A couple weeks later, my mom called me to tell me that this same bro had been arrested for robbing various liquor stores and gas stations the very night that we ran into him.

Has a close friend die of a coke overdose last year. Really changed my outlook on drugs and other things.

like that it needs to be legalized and regulated so that sort of thing doesn't happen nearly so much?

one died in a car crash, three died of various cancers, one paralyzed when his car hydroplaned while going to visit his GF; he was a star football player too, one brother stabbed another brother in HS in a moment of passion, and one was biking while drunk, did a jump, fell over the handlebars, and broke his neck. I was particularly good friends with the kid on the bicycle, his death was painless and quick, but horrific to watch as he was bleeding from his nose. human bodies contain A LOT of blood.

Yo, did you go to North?

no, why?

like that it needs to be legalized and regulated so that sort of thing doesn't happen nearly so much?

No, and that's not really funny.
But, to answer your question; it opened my eyes to the fact that the dangers you hear about are very real. Plus, no one knew he was addicted to coke, he was really quiet about his drug use and only his roommate knew he was speed balling on that weekends in party bathrooms. Hell, I didn't even know a place to buy coke, much less a person in my friend group was abusing it behind closed doors.

No, and that's not really funny.
But, to answer your question; it opened my eyes to the fact that the dangers you hear about are very real. Plus, no one knew he was addicted to coke, he was really quiet about his drug use and only his roommate knew he was speed balling on that weekends in party bathrooms. Hell, I didn't even know a place to buy coke, much less a person in my friend group was abusing it behind closed doors.

wasn't meant to be funny, was meant to be a fact. do what i suggest and per capita OD will DRAMATICALLY drop. your eyes are open, but not widely. i'm gonna content myself with that so as not to derail the thread.

sorry for all involved in the OD. ODs are serious.

eta i also knew of the guy with the heart condition, and the other two fatalities of the car wreck that townie references, but none of those were really friends of mine. i also knew of one other car crash. cars are probably the number 1 killer of teens. looking back, i should have been killed 3x over.

Last edited:
looking back, i should have been killed 3x over.

For reals. I was even thrown from a car going 70 mph, which rolled 10 or 12 times, had the hood land on top of me once I was on the ground, and I didn't have so much as a scratch. From my earlier post in this thread, obviously others were not quite as fortunate. And I can think of at least two other occasions in HS where where a butterfly in China must have beaten its wings at the right moment in order for similar accidents to be avoided.

Maybe I am just blocking it out, or there are things that have happened since HS that I have not heard about, but oddly I can't think of anyone from my 400-person graduating class that has died. Or at least not anyone I knew well and would've known about. I know of people a class or two above or below that have died in car accidents, but can't think of anything crazy like murders or ODs at the moment.

same here, out of a high school class of 503.
there was a kid the grade above who died from hodgkins lymphoma a couple years after HS and i knew a few people who had drug issues, but no ODs. I know a couple kids who have passed while students at Wake, but nothing terribly crazy there, either.

knock on wood.

One girl in my class was killed in a car accident our junior year. Her best friend was driving and it was pretty clearly the driver's fault.
Another kid died our senior year of cancer. Poor kid was born in a shitty trailer to a shitty mom and had a notoriously delinquent brother. Never caught a break his whole life. Really affected my outlook on the world in some ways.
I just saw that another classmate died but I don't know the cause.
A kid one year older than me who was in my Scout troop died driving while drunk when I was a sophomore.
Can't think of any gun or drug related deaths. My high school was really small and rural.

In something of a twist of the original question: anyone have a good friend killed in combat?

I had a childhood friend killed about a month after arriving in 'Nam. He was an only son and very well liked. I still remember the funeral home visitation. The line of visitors was wrapped around the block of the Voglers downtown W-S. Haunting.

Earlier I referenced Susie Newsom. If anyone is familiar with that story which was made into a made for TV movie, it was crazy. I knew her in high school. She was Key Club sweetheart. The story has a strong WF connection.

In something of a twist of the original question: anyone have a good friend killed in combat?

I had a childhood friend killed about a month after arriving in 'Nam. He was an only son and very well liked. I still remember the funeral home visitation. The line of visitors was wrapped around the block of the Voglers downtown W-S. Haunting.

Earlier I referenced Susie Newsom. If anyone is familiar with that story which was made into a made for TV movie, it was crazy. I knew her in high school. She was Key Club sweetheart. The story has a strong WF connection.

HTTD and I read the book a few times. Crazy story - must have been crazy living here/knowing her.

HTTD and I read the book a few times. Crazy story - must have been crazy living here/knowing her.

She was not a close friend; but she seemed like a rather normal girl perhaps a bit haughty. I knew one of her best friends better than I knew her. Her parents lived within a mile of so of my house (where they were murdered) and her mother taught at the elementary school I attended. My Mom told me that her mother or grandmother had actually visited our home when I was very young. I don't recall. But, it was all very surreal when it happened.

The last time I read the book I looked up on Google maps where a lot of the events happened. Kind of morbid but it was very strange/fascinating to read the book and know just about all of the places described.

Have had a few. Cancer. Heart defect. Iraq.

There was another guy who we all thought was killed for about 20 years and then he suddenly showed up on Facebook. That was weird!

The last time I read the book I looked up on Google maps where a lot of the events happened. Kind of morbid but it was very strange/fascinating to read the book and know just about all of the places described.

Yep. Susie Newsom is interred in the urn garden at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church on Market Street in Greensboro. I walk by her marker every Sunday. If any of you are familiar with Red Dog Farm (the animal rescue place) - that is right where they blew up the car. They had a shootout with the police at the corner of Friendly and New Garden right by Guilford College.

I think about 15 people have died from my graduating class. Some from cancer, 1 in the First Gulf War, some from auto & motorcycle wrecks, a few from suicide (including one girl who hung herself from a tree in her front yard), and 2 from drug deals gone bad (one of these is still an unsolved murder in Florida).

Oh I completely forgot that I was in the same scout troop as the App Student that got murdered a few years back over a drug deal gone bad:

"Three Charged After App State Student Found Dead In Burning Car

POSTED: 12:57 pm EST November 9, 2005
UPDATED: 5:15 pm EST November 9, 2005

BOONE, N.C. -- Authorities in Watauga County have arrested three men in connection with the death of a 19-year-old Appalachian State University sophomore from Raleigh, whose body was found Tuesday in the trunk of a burning car.

Firefighters responded Tuesday morning to a report of a fire in a red Subaru Legacy that was parked on a rural road near N.C. Highway 105 near the community of Foscoe, about halfway between Boone and Grandfather Mountain.

When firefighters and a sheriff's deputy arrived, they discovered the fire was coming from the trunk, where they found the body of Stephen Harrington, 19, of Raleigh.

Matthew Darlymple, 20, Neil Sargeant, 24, and Kyle Triplett. 21. were arrested in connection with the death of Stephen Harrington.

Matthew Dalrymple, 20, of Bessemer City, and Neil Sargeant, 24, and Kyle Triplett, 21, both of Boone, were charged with first-degree murder. The three are jailed without bond and scheduled to appear in court on Dec. 19.

Harrington, who graduated from Wakefield High School, was a dedicated student who loved music, according to band director Joshua Potter.

"He was one of our inaugural band students," Potter said. "He was in the first group at Wakefield to be part of the band program and got it up and running in all the right ways.

Harrington was also a cross-country runner.

Reporter: Amanda Lamb
Photographer: Keith Baker
Web Editor: Kelly Gardner"

Oh I completely forgot that I was in the same scout troop as the App Student that got murdered a few years back over a drug deal gone bad:

"Three Charged After App State Student Found Dead In Burning Car

POSTED: 12:57 pm EST November 9, 2005
UPDATED: 5:15 pm EST November 9, 2005

BOONE, N.C. -- Authorities in Watauga County have arrested three men in connection with the death of a 19-year-old Appalachian State University sophomore from Raleigh, whose body was found Tuesday in the trunk of a burning car.

Firefighters responded Tuesday morning to a report of a fire in a red Subaru Legacy that was parked on a rural road near N.C. Highway 105 near the community of Foscoe, about halfway between Boone and Grandfather Mountain.

When firefighters and a sheriff's deputy arrived, they discovered the fire was coming from the trunk, where they found the body of Stephen Harrington, 19, of Raleigh.

Matthew Darlymple, 20, Neil Sargeant, 24, and Kyle Triplett. 21. were arrested in connection with the death of Stephen Harrington.

Matthew Dalrymple, 20, of Bessemer City, and Neil Sargeant, 24, and Kyle Triplett, 21, both of Boone, were charged with first-degree murder. The three are jailed without bond and scheduled to appear in court on Dec. 19.

Harrington, who graduated from Wakefield High School, was a dedicated student who loved music, according to band director Joshua Potter.

"He was one of our inaugural band students," Potter said. "He was in the first group at Wakefield to be part of the band program and got it up and running in all the right ways.

Harrington was also a cross-country runner.

Reporter: Amanda Lamb
Photographer: Keith Baker
Web Editor: Kelly Gardner"

http://www.hcpress.com/news/seven-y...own-sargeants-retrial-to-answer-question.html

Back