• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

People u went to high school w/ who were murdered, drug overdose, suicide, etc.

Knew a kid in high school, wasn't very close with him, but he was friends with some people I was kind of friends and seemed like a decent enough guy other than he was kind of one of those "redneck for the sake of being redneck" guys. He ended up going into the Marines and became a salvage diver or something like that. I would see him maybe a couple times a year around town and chat for 5-15 minutes and he was always really nice/friendly to me and I would be the same to him, but I never really got into deep conversations with him because he was kind of weird and always wanted to talk about guns. (Which isn't entirely unusual for rednecks from Western NC, but it was ALL he wanted to talk about) The last few times I saw him he was wearing camo shorts and metal (as in t-shirts of heavy metal bands) shirts at bars...which even in Asheville is being a bit underdressed. Anyway, I probably hadn't seen him in a year or so and saw a little blurb in the paper saying that he had died, but it suspiciously didn't discuss how he died. I found out a few weeks later that the day before his sisters wedding he walked into a room and shot his dad and his brother in the chest and then shot himself in the head. Luckily, his dad and brother survived (or so I'm told)

I can't think of anyone from my high school class that has died (although I'm sure someone has)...there was one kid who would've been in my class that died either in 7th or 8th grade after he got into a wreck in a home made go cart. I don't know the details, but I think it was way over powered and the brakes didn't work and he just ended up running into a wall or something.

One kid a few years younger than me who I only knew because he was on the football team died because he swallowed a few balloons of cocaine (after being pulled over by the cops if I remember correctly) and one of them ruptured in his stomach....which I guess caused him to OD.

Held one of my best friends head in my lap as she died on I-40 after we were in a terrible accident when we were 16.

One of my suite-mates at WF took off from school unexpectedly frosh year and killed himself by laying his head on railroad tracks. It took a couple of weeks for him to be identified.

Out of a graduating class of 200, we've had one die in a car accident, one was shot and killed by a guy named Freddie Hammer (http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/article_bd09d014-630a-5fa4-8c85-c8e6ca0e25bf.html), and two suicides.

A guy that was a couple years younger killed himself a couple weeks ago. He was in the First Ranger battalion and pretty sure he was a Green Beret. He did five tours in Afghanistan.
I think I may have known that last guy(or I knew a guy with a very similar story) He was a pretty good friend about 9 years ago, we had just reconnected and his PTSD was really apparent. Really hit me hard.

Can't think of any people I knew personally from high school dying. Two Wake friends have though. One committed suicide in the room next to me my senior year. Another drowned a little over a year ago after he jumped in some rough water to rescue a friend.

Held one of my best friends head in my lap as she died on I-40 after we were in a terrible accident when we were 16.

One of my suite-mates at WF took off from school unexpectedly frosh year and killed himself by laying his head on railroad tracks. It took a couple of weeks for him to be identified.

Oof... that's rough. Sorry you had to go through that.

When I was in 8th grade I would get pulled from class from time to time to be an altar boy for funeral masses.

I remember one kid who died while listening to CDs in his car with the garage door down. It had never occurred to me before but last week it hit me that it was probably a suicide.

Had two die this weekend from Suicide. One shot herself, the other hung herself.

Had 4 die in HS from a drinking and driving wreck.

Another from suicide two years ago.

And 1 from Brain Tumor a few years ago.

Ledford always seems to have 1 or 2 a year

Can't think of any people I knew personally from high school dying. Two Wake friends have though. One committed suicide in the room next to me my senior year. Another drowned a little over a year ago after he jumped in some rough water to rescue a friend.

I remember hearing/reading about that last one. Sounds like he was a good dude.

I don't think I've had any friends that have died, but there was one guy in my high school gym class who died of wounds/complications he got after his humvee hit a landmine or something over in Iraq a few years later. I had another classmate whose older brother was a senior when we were freshmen I think, he rowed for Boston College and died of a heart attack just after crossing the finish line in a regatta. Perfectly clean autopsy apparently, just a perfect storm of conditions I guess.

In 8th or 9th grade, a girl in my class (we weren't close friends) was shot to death, along with her mother, by either her step-father or some other man in the house who then turned the gun on himself.

Other than that, I'm not aware of any other tragic deaths from my HS class.

In my graduating class of ~225, the only deaths I'm aware of are a few Iraq casualties, unfortunately.

A girl a couple of years older than me who lived on our cul-de-sac disappeared while walking to town. No remains have ever been found and the case is still open.

One of my best friends from high school was a Top Gun pilot and died in a nighttime training accident when his F-14 collided with another one off Virginia Beach. His body was never recovered either.

During high school I can recall one DUI death (unbuckled passenger) and one suicide by car crash.

Post college, a couple of guys from my high school class were crossing the street late night when they were hit and killed by a drunk driver. Shame that they'd been responsible by taking the Metro home but someone else hadn't made the right decision. (article.)

i graduated with around 500 people, and of those, i only know of a couple of suicides (that were actually during high school. i'm not aware of any that happened after we graduated), one guy who swam competitively in college and had one of those heart conditions that caused him to have a heart attack when he was in the pool one day (so official cause of death was drowning, but it's not like he couldn't swim), and then a couple of car accidents.

we did have one girl who was arrested for murder after a drug deal went bad. obviously she didn't die, but that's the creepiest story that i'm aware of out of the people that i graduated with.

In 8th or 9th grade, a girl in my class (we weren't close friends) was shot to death, along with her mother, by either her step-father or some other man in the house who then turned the gun on himself.

Other than that, I'm not aware of any other tragic deaths from my HS class.

You know more Jodys than people who suffered tragic deaths.

Knew a kid in high school, wasn't very close with him, but he was friends with some people I was kind of friends and seemed like a decent enough guy other than he was kind of one of those "redneck for the sake of being redneck" guys. He ended up going into the Marines and became a salvage diver or something like that. I would see him maybe a couple times a year around town and chat for 5-15 minutes and he was always really nice/friendly to me and I would be the same to him, but I never really got into deep conversations with him because he was kind of weird and always wanted to talk about guns. (Which isn't entirely unusual for rednecks from Western NC, but it was ALL he wanted to talk about) The last few times I saw him he was wearing camo shorts and metal (as in t-shirts of heavy metal bands) shirts at bars...which even in Asheville is being a bit underdressed. Anyway, I probably hadn't seen him in a year or so and saw a little blurb in the paper saying that he had died, but it suspiciously didn't discuss how he died. I found out a few weeks later that the day before his sisters wedding he walked into a room and shot his dad and his brother in the chest and then shot himself in the head. Luckily, his dad and brother survived (or so I'm told)

Actually this reminds me of another story, a guy I grew up with since elementary school had gotten married right after undergrad and was having some marital issues so was back home and living with his folks for awhile. His older brother was a little weird and also lived at home. Apparently his dad had been laid off and one morning shot his wife and two sons and then himself. The guy I grew up with actually knocked over a telephone during his fall from being shot and managed to call 911 and give his address before passing out. Both his parents were dead at the scene, his brother later died in the hospital, and he survived but is in a wheelchair for life.

One kid in my HS class killed himself. I'm sure more have died since then, but I haven't kept up with any news from my hometown in years and years.

A guy I grew up with (our parents are still good friends) served a pretty long prison sentence for attempted murder for trying to kill his girlfriend's mother by somthering her with a pillow because she wouldn't drive him to "the methadone clinic or Home Depot".

Back