• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Boss Beer Thread

That would be Big Boss. My avatar is the artwork from Hell's Belle, their Belgian Blonde Ale.

That's what I figured you'd say for that very reason. Personally I think most of Big Boss's beers are awful, but the ones they mass produce are good. I have gone to Casktoberfest a few times and woof they make some swill. I will give them credit for not pumping out the swill widely though.

I personally like Lonerider better than Big Boss, but like Fullsteam in Durham the best in the Triangle. I also love the fact that I can even make this statement given where the beer scene was a decade ago.

Tried some New Orleans beer for the first time. Abita Amber is a great session beer. NOLA makes a decent IPA (Hopitoulas), their blonde isn't that great.

That's what I figured you'd say for that very reason. Personally I think most of Big Boss's beers are awful, but the ones they mass produce are good. I have gone to Casktoberfest a few times and woof they make some swill. I will give them credit for not pumping out the swill widely though.

I personally like Lonerider better than Big Boss, but like Fullsteam in Durham the best in the Triangle. I also love the fact that I can even make this statement given where the beer scene was a decade ago.

I'm not a big fan of Lonerider (their Pale Ale is the only one I like & it is okay). I haven't been to Fullsteam in a couple of years. Previously I really only cared for the Carver. I like some of the Aviator beers. I enjoy some of Trophy's beers, but they are a bit pricey IMO. We visited Black Jack Brewing a couple weekends ago (a soft opening). Their amber reminded me a lot of the Highland Gaelic Ale which I like a lot. But the great thing about the variety of craft breweries in the Triangle is that there is something for everyone.

I was at a beer festival in High Point over the weekend and had a few beers I really liked from Brueprint Brewing in Apex. Naming style is kind of cheesy, but their Brue Diamond IPA and Saison de Brue were two of my favorites of the day. Bruenette was an average brown and Edinbrue was an average Scotch ale.

Also enjoyed Steel String Brewery's Hiphopopotamus Farmhouse IPA. Also tried the Rubber Room session ale which was fine, but the rye was too strong for it to be "sessionable" for me. They're from Carrboro.

Beer festivals can be a little deceiving in terms of fuzzy memory and tired taste buds, but I look forward to trying both of those places again. Hadn't heard of either.

I am hesitant to try any other Fullsteam beers after having the Cackalacky. When ordering, it was just listed as a Pale Ale. I had heard great things. A buddy tipped me off about the ginger taste, but it tasted like soap. One of the rare beers I didn't want to finish.

I'm not a big fan of Lonerider (their Pale Ale is the only one I like & it is okay). I haven't been to Fullsteam in a couple of years. Previously I really only cared for the Carver. I like some of the Aviator beers. I enjoy some of Trophy's beers, but they are a bit pricey IMO. We visited Black Jack Brewing a couple weekends ago (a soft opening). Their amber reminded me a lot of the Highland Gaelic Ale which I like a lot. But the great thing about the variety of craft breweries in the Triangle is that there is something for everyone.

Trophy makes awesome pizza too.

fullsteam makes some stuff that scares people off but if you are ever at their bar or have the following in front of be sure to try:
- hogwash
- working mans lunch
- rocket science ipa
- carver

those are the 4 favs in my book. to waht others said about the triangle beer scene, its not even close to where it was 5 years ago where you had 2-3 that pumped out their seasonals and that was that. i can now name at least 10 different breweries to try and each have their own unique styles

I'm heading to a big beer festival in Lancaster County, PA this weekend, the Mount Hope Brewfest. Location looks nice and spread out, probably some good shade, and there is free food! Hopefully that's not too overrun. There are a lot of breweries I've never heard of or tried, so it should be fun.

I'm heading to a big beer festival in Lancaster County, PA this weekend, the Mount Hope Brewfest. Location looks nice and spread out, probably some good shade, and there is free food! Hopefully that's not too overrun. There are a lot of breweries I've never heard of or tried, so it should be fun.

Quite the selection of participating breweries! Wolf1297 & I have stopped at Battlefield Brew Works (Gettysburg) & Liquid Hero (York) on previous trips to visit his family. Battlefield was good - I really enjoyed the Lincoln Lager. I thought Liquid Hero's American Hero Amber was decent. We picked up a variety pack from Lancaster Brewing once...was not impressed at all.

Definitely need feedback on this - I was supposed to go, but they don't allow kids, and I dont have a sitter. Sucks - cause it looked really fun. I am going to try planning farther in advance next year.

I recently went to Mystery Brewing in Hillsborough and found it interesting. They had a few goofy beers but did dome have old school english ales and bitters which was refreshing to see (and drink).

I've revised my thinking on Fullsteam. I wish they would make a few beers without the goofiness. Ginger? Ugh. I do love the vibe there and their house stds (Carver et al) are pretty good.

I remain unimpressed with Steel String. I live about a mile away and had high hopes.

FYI, Stella received a buttload of Prairie Bomb! yesterday and a tiny bit of OK-Si. Expensive bottles (9.50 for 12 oz.), but it packs a punch.

Definitely need feedback on this - I was supposed to go, but they don't allow kids, and I dont have a sitter. Sucks - cause it looked really fun. I am going to try planning farther in advance next year.

I had a really good time at the Mount Hope Brewfest. Got there as the gates opened and the first hour was quite crowded, with 15+ minute lines for some samples. It really thinned out after that, as people spread further into the park, stopped for food, etc. At that point there was little to no wait at many tents, so you could chat with the folks about their beer a bit. Free food was a nice touch. Nothing gourmet, but good to grab a couple slices of pizza (they also had corn dogs, hamburgers, chicken fingers, fries). They had misting tents and free bottled water. Nice venue, flush toilets, and lots of space. We stayed until last call at which point we left with the remaining masses. It did take like 30 minutes just to get out of the parking lot. I'd recommend it for next year!

FYI, Stella received a buttload of Prairie Bomb! yesterday and a tiny bit of OK-Si. Expensive bottles (9.50 for 12 oz.), but it packs a punch.

I picked up a bottle of the Bomb!. Darn good stout. Was surprised they had so much - I made sure to get in right after work on Friday because I figured it would run out quickly.

Yeah, Matt told me he expected his supply may last a month, so no hurry if anyone is trying to snag a bottle or 5. They got in something crazy like 20 cases and 4 kegs.

And it definitely lives up to the hype. I thought it was incredible. So smooth and then a hint of the chili peppers at the end. I'm going to get a few more.

Picked up some Pinner at Stella the other day, was surprisingly good, I was expecting something more bland when they called it a "throwback IPA".

Back