• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Boss Beer Thread

Are there any places in Winston besides Hoots that fill crowlers? (crowler cans specifically, not growlers.) I've never been to Jugheads or The Beer Growler and hoping for some insight from the experts. :)

Lizard of Koz was great and definitely dessert beer - more fruit than stout. Shooshmoo - Have you had Lindley Park by Olde Hickory? I'd put it in the same category as LoK

I have not -- if it is like LoK, I would probably pass. the LoK was almost like having a port that had turned. Maybe I got a bad bottle.

Are there any places in Winston besides Hoots that fill crowlers? (crowler cans specifically, not growlers.) I've never been to Jugheads or The Beer Growler and hoping for some insight from the experts. :)

Neither of those places. Pretty sure Foothills and Small Batch do not.

New Belgium brought back 2 Below Winter Ale as part of their Fall/Winter variety packs this year. Also has Fat Tire, Citradelic IPA, and their annual collaboration with Ben and Jerry's - Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ale. Best variety pack I've had in a long time.

Nothing like a good winter warmer/ale around the holidays, especially when it's chilly out.

Insane Rush is a great IPA from Niwot
Jubilation is my favorite holiday beer
The cream ale is a lie it tastes like an IPA

You were spot on with this; Insane Rush is one of the better IPAs I've ever had. Really, really liked it. I also agree with you 100% on the cream ale - blind taste test and I would have sworn up and down it was an IPA.

You were spot on with this; Insane Rush is one of the better IPAs I've ever had. Really, really liked it. I also agree with you 100% on the cream ale - blind taste test and I would have sworn up and down it was an IPA.

To fill your cream ale void go to Mountain Toad in Golden. Their cream ale might be one of my all-time favorite beers.

Has anyone had Shower Beer? Brilliant marketing - I couldn't let that one sit on the shelf, so it went in everyone's stocking.

Spent half of Saturday in the snow at Beer Co. in Greensboro and had some good stuff. They just started getting distribution of Sixpoint out of NYC and had some good stuff by them. A random guy in there was nice enough to share some Trillium.

Got me thinking me about ranking triad bottle shops. Since I haven't spent enough time in Winston since craft beer got big I'll be interested to hear thoughts from others.

Here's my rankings of places I've spent enough time in to have an opinion (mainly Greensboro)

1) Bestway - Best selection in town and reasonable prices compared to other locations. Typically good growler selection. Only downside is its not a place to go drink, but I did at one point last year hear a rumor they were putting in an area with taps where you could get pints. Also - pretty much everything is refrigerated so ready to drink.

2) Beer Co. - Great selection of fresh bottles/cans and typically a good draft list (though only 6 taps). Good crowd and friendly staff.

3) Potent Potables - Wish I could spend more time here but a bit far of a trip. Selection is always good and you can find some rare things randomly hidden in the shelves at times (owner likes to play games like that). Also a limited tap list and generally more of a wine crowd than beer crowd when I've been in.

4) Total Wine (Battleground) - Usually a pretty good selection at good prices. They now have a tap station with 4-6 on draft. The reason it's ranked high is you can generally always get a 32oz growler of Jade for $6 which is an absolute steal. Hate that they don't have more things refrigerated for immediate consumption.

5) Gate City Growlers - Always a good tap list (20 taps) and good selection of bottles and cans. My main 2 problems are 1) everything they sell is generally 15% or more higher priced than the same thing at Beer Co/Bestway and 2) the people in there are typically the owners/bartenders friends and it's like a clubhouse for them.

6) Craft City Sip in - Great set up with tables and a good bar. Only place serving in actual glasses. Beer selection aside from the draft list has seemingly been weak and have found some very old bottles in there before (as in not supposed to be aged bottles).

In Winston I haven't been overly impressed with the selection at City Bev in my recent trips. The best place I've been in Winston is Stella Brew but haven't gotten to spend much time there - usually picking up a bottle rather than trying anything on draft.

I guess I should add World of Beer to the list - food there is good but beer prices are a bit much for things that are generally easy to find at the bottle shops (outside of them having bourbon county on draft this past weekend)

Anyone tried Wooden Robot's What He's Having? Had my first during the snow weekend and thought it was outstanding.

Anyone tried Wooden Robot's What He's Having? Had my first during the snow weekend and thought it was outstanding.

I had it at some point in the past according to untappd - 4/5 from me which means it wasn't outstanding but was in the "solid IPA" range

Back