• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

that thing has seen some grease fires in its day. Bet the flame covers are totally rusted out and need to be replaced.

Grilling Sunday for some friends and neighbors (maybe 6-8 adults and 3-4 toddlers). What should we do that's not just burgers and dogs, but also doesn't take too much prep or fuss on the grill?

Cut bell peppers into quarters, spoon on goat cheese and cracked pepper, cook for 6-8 min.

That sounds pretty good. Thinking more about main course.

I wonder if some sort of foil pack would work with pork (chops or loin), apple, sweet potato, onion...

there's about a billion grilled pork tenderloin recipes out there that aren't too much work

I wonder if some sort of foil pack would work with pork (chops or loin), apple, sweet potato, onion...

Foil pack could just as easily be done in the oven since you won't actually be getting any smoke/char taste. Or, for that matter, just toss it in a steamer since that's all you're really doing in a foil pack.

Given those ingredients, marinade and grill the pork, slice and grill the apple and onion with a bit of oil/salt/pepper, and slice and roast your sweet potatoes with a topping of chile powder, paprika, garlic, and salt (400 degree for 15-20 minutes). Sounds much better than a steamed pork chop and sides in a goopy mess of foil

So, our little cookout ended up being 14 adults, 8 toddlers, and 3 infants.

Ended up grilling chicken drumsticks for the kiddos and ginger sesame chicken thighs for the adults.

Used this recipe, but obviously did chicken instead of pork this time. The marinade was really good and got a lot of compliments. Would definitely recommend.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/grilled_ginger_sesame_pork_tenderloin/

il_570xN.826854037_9w6t.jpg

Cut bell peppers into quarters, spoon on goat cheese and cracked pepper, cook for 6-8 min.

We did this last night- J took one bite and said "This has entered the rotation. Buy more peppers."
We've also dubbed them Goat Boats, so yeah... We know we're cool.

Anyone know anything about converting a grill from natural gas to propane? My dad is moving and has a built in grill at the new place so has offered me his awesome gas grill, but I do not have an exterior gas connection. Not wanting to pay the $$ right now to run a gas line if the grill can be converted to propane inexpensively.

Anyone know anything about converting a grill from natural gas to propane? My dad is moving and has a built in grill at the new place so has offered me his awesome gas grill, but I do not have an exterior gas connection. Not wanting to pay the $$ right now to run a gas line if the grill can be converted to propane inexpensively.

For some reason I just saw this. I'm currently doing the same thing with a range/stove. The pressures are different between LP and natural gas. Most grills sell a conversion kit which will have all the parts you need. You'll need to adjust the regulator on the grill, and exchange the orifices. LP orifices have smaller openings that Natural gas.

Now for the reason I searched for this thread, I'm craving some USA sourced Waygu beef, especially after seeing this series of photos.

http://imgur.com/a/Mee6s

Perverted good deal right now on a black Grill Dome ceramic smoker - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...d=1450542666&ref_=sr_1_6&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-6 $433.75 with free scheduled shipping. Regular price is $949.95. I have never seen these on sale before. (The other colors are still full price). Everyone has an opinion, but this is my favorite ceramic smoker on the market - stainless steel hinges and thicker ceramic. My first has been going strong for nearly 20 years - cooking a turkey on it now. I just ordered a second one to keep at a weekend cabin - too good a deal to pass up.

I recommend getting the indirect cooking rack (almost a necessity) and the stand makes it more convenient.

i-fj568GP-M.jpg

Last edited:
Someone stole my Weber kettle that I've had nearly seven years last week. I grilled and smoked hundreds of meals on that thing.

Had a chef friend come spend a couple nights at our house recently. When he comes, he generally brings all sorts of good stuff. This time he came bearing PEI muscles, monkfish, spinalis (ribeye cap) and a sous vide setup. Steamed muscles with some white wine, garlic, etc. Wrapped the monk fish in bacon, sous vide until done and then seared off the bacon on a cast iron skillet. But those were just apps compared to the spinalis. It's already a kick ass cut of beef, but sous vide takes it to another level. Sous vide to 125ish degrees and then seared off on a super hot grill. We also sous vide and seared a couple of thick cut ribeyes later in the week and they were damn good as well. Once I get my own sous vide setup, I don't think I'll ever cook a steak another way again.

The long sous vide breaks down the fat, etc much like 10+ hours of smoking does to a pork butt, but without overcooking the beef. Throw the steak in a bag and sous vide all day while you're gone, then a quick sear on the grill and you're done.

As an aside, if you've never had spinalis, run, don't walk, to your nearest butcher and see about having him cut you one. It's unbelievable. I didn't believe the hype until I'd had it.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/meet-the-ribeye-cap-the-tastiest-cut-on-the-cow.html

Needless to say, this sucker is on my Amazon Christmas list this year:
http://amzn.com/B01761T6V4
51Rw4HmkiJL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Back