• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

The auto igniter on my Genesis went out 2 years after I got it so I have just used a stick lighter for the last 6 years.

Heck of a grill.

I had same issue w/ auto igniter after a couple of years, but I ordered a new one off of Amazon for cheap and it's been fine.

Picked up a new grill from the Depot on Saturday. I'm too poor for a Weber, but I did pick up a 5 burner with the side deal for 219.00 after I used a coupon and sale. Broke it in with some surf n turf...boneless ribeye and tuna steak.

Must look back on this thread for ideas.

Picked up a new grill from the Depot on Saturday. I'm too poor for a Weber, but I did pick up a 5 burner with the side deal for 219.00 after I used a coupon and sale. Broke it in with some surf n turf...boneless ribeye and tuna steak.

Must look back on this thread for ideas.

I looked long and hard at a Kamado grill this weekend. I backed off of it, but I may yet talk myself into it. I worry about the "Jack of all Trades, Master of None" effect. My side-by-side smoker has done everything I've asked of it (I wish it was a little taller for the beer can chicken and a little easier to clean, but other than that, it's done the job). The kamado style has more cooking surface and might be a better smoker. We shall see.

Went to a screening of this documentary last night and would recommend a viewing to anyone that enjoys cooking with fire. I thought it did a great job of outlining things about food, community, and tradition that transcend cultural boundaries.

Didn't hurt that last nights event had 3 vendors providing samples of awesome brisket and pulled pork.

Last edited:
I looked long and hard at a Kamado grill this weekend. I backed off of it, but I may yet talk myself into it. I worry about the "Jack of all Trades, Master of None" effect. My side-by-side smoker has done everything I've asked of it (I wish it was a little taller for the beer can chicken and a little easier to clean, but other than that, it's done the job). The kamado style has more cooking surface and might be a better smoker. We shall see.

Which Kamado? I started with a cheap Akorn, then added a Primo oval, jr and a BGE MiniMax (that was a gift). I still use the Akorn for larger butts, but the Primo is the best of my three.

Which Kamado? I started with a cheap Akorn, then added a Primo oval, jr and a BGE MiniMax (that was a gift). I still use the Akorn for larger butts, but the Primo is the best of my three.

I'm starting cheap. The Charbroil Kammader is on clearance for $239.00. It's not ceramic (it's insulated stainless), but the reviews I have seen rated it comparable.

I'm starting cheap. The Charbroil Kammader is on clearance for $239.00. It's not ceramic (it's insulated stainless), but the reviews I have seen rated it comparable.

That's a variation of the Akorn - actually looks like an improved model due to the intake... I'd get it at that price. Mine (3 years old) is not as precise as the ceramics at low temps as the temp rolls 10 degrees =/-, but it still turns out great Q and it was a low cost way of trying kamado cooking out. BTW, the included thermostadt is worthless.

That's a variation of the Akorn - actually looks like an improved model due to the intake... I'd get it at that price. Mine (3 years old) is not as precise as the ceramics at low temps as the temp rolls 10 degrees =/-, but it still turns out great Q and it was a low cost way of trying kamado cooking out. BTW, the included thermostadt is worthless.

The one negative review I saw was the inability to add fuel/chips directly to the heat during smoking configuration. You've got a deflector plate layered between the fire bin and the surface, and you have to pull everything out to add fuel, so the guy said it works well for single burn, slow cooker (beer can chicken, smoked turkey, ribs), but not as good for shoulders.

The one negative review I saw was the inability to add fuel/chips directly to the heat during smoking configuration. You've got a deflector plate layered between the fire bin and the surface, and you have to pull everything out to add fuel, so the guy said it works well for single burn, slow cooker (beer can chicken, smoked turkey, ribs), but not as good for shoulders.

Simple answer - I've never had to add charcoal and don't use chips (only wood chunks). If your Kamado is set up correctly, the insulation conserves fuel. I've cooked butts for 14 hours and still had some charcoal left. Looking at the new air intake system, I'd make sure the fittings seal properly.

I replaced the OEM gasket after a year with BGE felt and bought a stainless steel grate. Otherwise, it's the same as it originally was and has been more than satisfactory. If I had to do it over, I'd just get one of the large ceramic Kamados from the get-go, but didn't want to sink that kind of money in a system until I was sold on it.

Anybody have any experiences with the Traeger grills that Dan Patrick is always hawking on his show?

Anybody have any experiences with the Traeger grills that Dan Patrick is always hawking on his show?

My dad absolutely loves his. Hasn't shut the fuck up about it since he got it like 5 or 6 years ago. He's always had very nice smokers and grills and has pretty much stopped using them all completely in favor of the Traeger.

I've never liked the idea of using wood pellets to cook. Compressed sawdust, while technically still wood, is like the hot dogs of wood. Sure, they may taste great, but do you really want to know whats in them?

Are you comfortable with plugging your smoker into the wall? Filthy.

Having said that, I've eaten some damn fine food from a Traeger.

How hard is it to learn to use a Kamado? How much maintenance involved? My patience is admittedly terrible, but I love to cook/grill and love the smoked flavor on just about anything.

How hard is it to learn to use a Kamado? How much maintenance involved? My patience is admittedly terrible, but I love to cook/grill and love the smoked flavor on just about anything.

I thought it was easy. The key is to not overshoot your desired temperature as they take forever to cool back down. It also pays to use a quality lump charcoal. Royal Oak is the cheapest stuff I use. I prefer Original Natural lump, but that's fairly expensive. I won't use Cowboy as I've heard too many complaints about it. I assume there's lots of discussion on the smoking thread about charcoal. Never use briquettes.

Maintenance is like any charcoal grill - remove the ash and clean the grate. Gaskets need to be replaced every year or two depending on how much you use it.

I thought it was easy. The key is to not overshoot your desired temperature as they take forever to cool back down. It also pays to use a quality lump charcoal. Royal Oak is the cheapest stuff I use. I prefer Original Natural lump, but that's fairly expensive. I won't use Cowboy as I've heard too many complaints about it. I assume there's lots of discussion on the smoking thread about charcoal. Never use briquettes.

Maintenance is like any charcoal grill - remove the ash and clean the grate. Gaskets need to be replaced every year or two depending on how much you use it.

Help me here. Why?

Help me here. Why?

Quality lump charcoal will have a less smoke and a cleaner / hotter burn. I've had some issues using Cowboy in the past that included lots of small pieces / lack of uniformity and heavy smoke taste.

Back