• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

Not "grilling", but I've been doing a lot of fish + Kal Olives + Sun dried tomatoes + (pre)steamed rice in parchment paper in the oven. I layer in a little feta cheese, fold the parchment up tight (but not too) and then roll the edges to achieve a steam-lock, and let them go for 20 minutes at preheated 385. Huge payoff, little clean-up, healthy and filling. Pretty good cold weather healthy dish.

Someone stole my Weber kettle that I've had nearly seven years last week. I grilled and smoked hundreds of meals on that thing.

did you get a new one? you are in charleston, right? I just got this bad boy today from the walmart way out in west ashley. Marked down to $154.

weber_performer_gold_charcoal_grill_300pix.jpg

There was one left.

Not yet, using my buddy's for the time being. That's pretty sweet. Let me know when you're tryin to get up and drink. I live minutes from that Wal-Mart.

This question is open to everyone, but mostly for LCD.

While we were out west, we had tri-tip steaks that were trimmed to maybe 2" by 6" and we threw them on the grill. They were amazing. Considering I can get whole tri-tip for $4 a lb, I'm thinking of buying a case and butchering them down into steaks. Since they're big on the west coast, have you ever done this or know anything about how to cut the grain? I presume its like brisket, that if you cut it incorrectly it'll become tough as hell, but correctly it'll melt like butter. At least the ones we got did.

While we were out west, we had tri-tip steaks that were trimmed to maybe 2" by 6" and we threw them on the grill. They were amazing. Considering I can get whole tri-tip for $4 a lb, I'm thinking of buying a case and butchering them down into steaks. Since they're big on the west coast, have you ever done this or know anything about how to cut the grain? I presume its like brisket, that if you cut it incorrectly it'll become tough as hell, but correctly it'll melt like butter. At least the ones we got did.

A tri-tip has grain running two directions. You'll want to cut your steaks across that grain.

Here's a video that shows slicing a tri-tip roast, but it will give you an idea how to cut your steaks as well:

Question for all you grillers. I am cooking T-Bone steaks on a charcoal grill tonight (1 -1 1/2 inches thick). Usually I put each side on direct heat (uncovered) for 3 minutes and each side on indirect heat (covered) for another 3 minutes. This grill however does not have a cover. How much does that matter and how would it change time on indirect heat?

Question for all you grillers. I am cooking T-Bone steaks on a charcoal grill tonight (1 -1 1/2 inches thick). Usually I put each side on direct heat (uncovered) for 3 minutes and each side on indirect heat (covered) for another 3 minutes. This grill however does not have a cover. How much does that matter and how would it change time on indirect heat?

Do you happen to have a meat thermometer? If not, you can pick a simple one up for a couple bucks. I rarely cook without one now. The temperature of the grill can vary each use, so I cook by feel and internal temperature moreso than specific times.

Heat rises...without a lid, you'll have a lot less heat on the indirect side.

Love doing these with chimichurri.

Weber Genesis and don't look back.

Just enjoyed our filet Friday tradition.

So my cheapo Lowes special kicked the bucket after 5 years. It cooked very well, good heat, no dead spots, but it just didn't last. I want to go with a Weber this time. Is the Genesis really worth the extra money over the Spirit?

So my cheapo Lowes special kicked the bucket after 5 years. It cooked very well, good heat, no dead spots, but it just didn't last. I want to go with a Weber this time. Is the Genesis really worth the extra money over the Spirit?

I have had a 3 burner spirit for 6 years. It comes with relatively crappy grates, which is probably a big differentiator from the Genesis but you can buy Weber cast iron grates to upgrade cheaply. Also the spirit doesn't have a side burner but I'd never use that even if I had it.

Only issue with mine is the auto igniter corroded years ago but I can just light with a stick lighter and it's not a problem.

Bump. It's a holiday weekend with great weather.

What meets the heat today, Pit? I have two ribeyes ready to roll and two chicken breasts marinading in EVOO, sliced onion, smashed garlic and S/P/Paprika/Old Bay; corn to grill and we're trying to squeeze one more weekend of watermelon in before we call it a summer; all to feed six.

What say you?

Fresh market had bone in ribeyes for sale a couple months ago, something ridiculous like 7.99/lb, because they over-ordered. I got one that was 2.4 lbs.

2 of those would be too much for 6 people with chicken and sides.

I have had a 3 burner spirit for 6 years. It comes with relatively crappy grates, which is probably a big differentiator from the Genesis but you can buy Weber cast iron grates to upgrade cheaply. Also the spirit doesn't have a side burner but I'd never use that even if I had it.

Only issue with mine is the auto igniter corroded years ago but I can just light with a stick lighter and it's not a problem.

The base Genesis models no longer have a side burner but I never used it on my previous one anyway. I've been in the market and was planning to go with the Genesis 310 but came across the 410 for only $100 more at Home Depot this weekend so I got it. Webers rarely go on sale and this appeared to be unadvertised and only in one of the four available colors.

Back