• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

Of course you'll have to feed it a lot to maintain its husky nature. :rimshot

Also, ditch the breeder idea and start here: http://www.siberianrescue.com/

My two cents...

Got my first husky from their partner rescue called Pawfect Match. I don't think Southern Siberian Rescue has puppies because they give them to Pawfect Match. Great company though. Rescue dogs are awesome.

Got my first husky from their partner rescue called Pawfect Match. I don't think Southern Siberian Rescue has puppies because they give them to Pawfect Match. Great company though. Rescue dogs are awesome.

Sounds like he should look at that approach. I just posted the first rescue group I could find that looked legit. People looking for purebred dogs can almost always find what they're looking for with a rescue group.

Well shit. It appears Woody has injured his back again. He is walking fine, but in obvious pain. We still have leftover pain meds from his last stint with this issue, so it's back on the pain medication and about 6 weeks of crate rest for him.

b3n57r.jpg

Awesome pic!

i had workers at my house this morning, and one of them started playing with my dog a bit in the front yard. i wasn't too worried about it, as my dog isn't really one to run away (she's gotten out of the backyard twice...both times she made it to the front yard then barked to be let back in). i went to write their check and wasn't paying attention, and apparently the guy that was playing with my dog just decided he was done playing and stopped without directing my dog back inside. the other one yells out to him a couple of minutes later "dude, where'd the dog go?" the guy was like "umm, no idea."

i found my dog down the street, pooping in my neighbor's yard. whoops :)

Check out this picture of our Weimaraner, Reiner, that RDToy took last night. I think I might have to print this one out as a keeper, especially since Reiner is 9. (He is in great health though, except for his death breath.)

553659_10150692902174330_588964329_9251897_177484655_n.jpg

Well the worst has happened, and I feel like I jinxed Reiner by posting this comment and picture.

Came home from softball tonight and took the dogs out in the backyard. Everyone came in the house after and was fine, and Reiner went to his bed and went to sleep. About an hour later his head popped up like he was startled and he tried to stand up, but was staggering and nearly collapsed.

By the time I got him to the emergency vet his gums and ears were almost completely white and he was nearly passed out. Long story short, they did an ultrasound and he had a softball-sized tumor on his spleen that was bleeding out into his abdominal cavity. His blood pressure had dropped to the point of him staggering about and passing out. They stabilized him but the only options were to do immediate surgery with a very low chance of success. (and "success" meaning we would buy him limited extra time. i.e. about 3-6 months.) or to go ahead and let him go.

RDToy is out of town, so I made some calls and we decided to let him go and not make him suffer just to buy us some extra time with him. Managed to get RDToy and her dad on video chat in the room with Reiner so they could at least see him and say good bye. I held it together pretty well until it was over and I was alone in the room with him and RDToy had gotten off the phone to give me some time to say good bye by myself. Then I pretty much lost it.

He was a damn good boy and the best friend I could ever ask for. I loved that dog and am proud to have called him mine for the past 9 plus years.

What a beautiful animal! Looks like a faithful friend. I am so very sorry that he is gone.

Hate to hear that Raleigh. At least you were able to be there with him at the end, I'm sure he really appreciated not having to go through that alone.

i'm so sorry raleigh :(. that was tough just to read. can't imagine how hard it was to go through.

Thanks everyone. I do appreciate the support. He was a fine, fine fellow. Every person or dog was his best friend and everything in his life was just the greatest and most wonderful thing that had ever happened. He was a handful right up until the end because he always had so much energy, but I am glad it went that way and he didn't suffer.

There is a hole in our family right now and that wound will take some time to heal. I am so glad I got to play with him in the backyard yesterday before this all went down.

How are the other members of the pack handling it?

They are doing OK, but they definitely know something is up. They are being extra needy and Woody keeps going over to Reiner's bed and laying on it looking all sad-eyed.

Good thread...here is a recent picture of my dog 'Deacon', loving on my son. Great dog.

IMG_6100.JPG

Back