• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

I mean y'all should do it before he dies. I have found the experience of losing a pet is never easy, but it is easier if you have another dog there to keep on loving you.

I hate that people have to experience losing pets. It is awful.

yeah, we're trying to figure out logistics. it's hard w/out consistent work schedules right now.

A lot of hearts are breaking after seeing Reiner's video. A lot of pups may get some steak tonight.
I'm just bawling right now. RIP, sweet doggie.

Well the worst has happened, and I feel like I jinxed Reiner by posting this comment and picture.

Came home from softball tonight and took the dogs out in the backyard. Everyone came in the house after and was fine, and Reiner went to his bed and went to sleep. About an hour later his head popped up like he was startled and he tried to stand up, but was staggering and nearly collapsed.

By the time I got him to the emergency vet his gums and ears were almost completely white and he was nearly passed out. Long story short, they did an ultrasound and he had a softball-sized tumor on his spleen that was bleeding out into his abdominal cavity. His blood pressure had dropped to the point of him staggering about and passing out. They stabilized him but the only options were to do immediate surgery with a very low chance of success. (and "success" meaning we would buy him limited extra time. i.e. about 3-6 months.) or to go ahead and let him go.

RDToy is out of town, so I made some calls and we decided to let him go and not make him suffer just to buy us some extra time with him. Managed to get RDToy and her dad on video chat in the room with Reiner so they could at least see him and say good bye. I held it together pretty well until it was over and I was alone in the room with him and RDToy had gotten off the phone to give me some time to say good bye by myself. Then I pretty much lost it.

He was a damn good boy and the best friend I could ever ask for. I loved that dog and am proud to have called him mine for the past 9 plus years.

Sounds like Reiner had hemangiosarcoma. My Great Dane, Vegas, suffered the same fate when he was only 4. He was just lethargic for about 18 hours before the vet diagnosed the problem and performed emergency surgery. Probably because of his age he recovered fine from the surgery, but 10 days later I got the awful call that the growth that caused his spleen to rupture was cancerous and he probably had 2-3 months to live. Took him to a veterinary oncologist to confirm/find out treatment options; the best of which was chemo which might give him a couple of extra months. Bypassed that and still feel good about that decision. Hope you don't second guess the decision you made.

Really hate that for you Raleigh/RDToy and rawarr. Really sucks to lose such a great dog regardless of age.

Jesus. Just watched that video/tribute. Heartbreaking. Note to self: take my pictures of our animals.

Last edited:
Sounds like Reiner had hemangiosarcoma. My Great Dane, Vegas, suffered the same fate when he was only 4. He was just lethargic for about 18 hours before the vet diagnosed the problem and performed emergency surgery. Probably because of his age he recovered fine from the surgery, but 10 days later I got the awful call that the growth that caused his spleen to rupture was cancerous and he probably had 2-3 months to live. Took him to a veterinary oncologist to confirm/find out treatment options; the best of which was chemo which might give him a couple of extra months. Bypassed that and still feel good about that decision. Hope you don't second guess the decision you made.

Really hate that for you Raleigh/RDToy and rawarr. Really sucks to lose such a great dog regardless of age.

Jesus. Just watched that video/tribute. Heartbreaking. Note to self: take my pictures of our animals.

Yep, that is exactly what they think it was. We didn't see any need to get a biopsy confirmation, but they said it was more like 85 percent sure it was malignant based on the location and bleeding nature of it. They estimated that even with a succesful surgery it wouldn't have bought him that much time and we didn't want to make a decision that would be purely selfish and put him through all that just so we could spend time with a diminished version of him for 2-4 more months.

We don't regret the decision. I think it was absolutely the right one, but it does hurt.

So sorry to hear you had to go through that with your Dane, and at such a young age. Sounds like you made the right choice too.

fellow pit dog owners...is your dog licensed? i got a notice in the mail saying that i needed to get my dog licensed, but when i went online i found a message board where everybody agreed that they didn't license their pet and it had never been an issue.

can anybody confirm/deny? my dog is microchipped, up to date on all vaccinations, etc. just wondering if she also needs to be licensed.

Well, it's the law. It's $25 for a three-year license for a sterile pet, or a $50 fine for getting caught without a license. Mine have always been licensed.

I've only had one encounter with Char-Meck Animal Control, and that was when my neighbor's dog was running around the neighborhood on a daily basis so somebody called Animal Control. They came up my driveway and started looking at my dogs and I told them to make a u-turn.

We have our dog licensed, but mostly because we take her to the dog parks in DC a decent amount. I've never seen anyone actually check there, but I wouldn't want to get caught when it's a fairly cheap fee.

24626fc.jpg
[/IMG]

I rescued this bulldog/boxer mix.

So the remaining Weimaraner, Kip, has parlayed our sympathy to the all the dogs into stealing more than half the couch every night. Note Myles is in the background with the entire chair to himself while RDToy and I are out of frame all hugged up on one end of the couch. Come to think of it, never mind. Good boy, Kip. Good boy!

564858_10150764878704330_588964329_9464722_1302625581_n.jpg

I don't think Felix remembers going to the lake last summer. But I'm pretty sure he will be excited when I say, "ready to go to the lake?" from here on out.

Felix-.jpg

Felixgate.jpg

Felixback.jpg

Felixout.jpg

Oh, and "funny" story about the top picture.

My dad, in his epic dickishness (it's a word, trust me), decided it would be funny to "speed up, slow down" on the throttle a few times while cruising into dock the boat. And it was funny for a few times until he pushed the throttle too far forward and Felix fell off the back of the boat and into the water with a noticeable "thud" noise before the splash. getsome is certain that Felix hit the motor and is now lying lifeless in the water, but when I get back from my forward seat to look back, I just see Felix with a WTF look on his face and swimming towards the boat.

Nice move, pops. Way to try to kill my dog. Dick.

Dick move by deacvision Dad.

Sydney and I went on a run today and I was worried about her when we got home. She was panting really heavily for a good 15 minutes after we got home. She wouldn't drink any water either. Turns out she was fine but I probably won't take her on long runs in the future.

Dick move by deacvision Dad.

Sydney and I went on a run today and I was worried about her when we got home. She was panting really heavily for a good 15 minutes after we got home. She wouldn't drink any water either. Turns out she was fine but I probably won't take her on long runs in the future.

same thing used to happen when i ran with my dog. she was very clearly overheating, but when we got home she wouldn't drink anything. i just stopped running with her entirely. i still don't know if that was the right call, but it got so that she was overheating so quickly (she's a sheltie, so super long hair) that i was just scared i was really going to hurt her. it at least calms my nerves a bit to not take her out. but i hate that she's not getting so much exercise now :(

If you ever think you're dog is overheated, put their feet in cool water (not ice cold) then put a cool towel on their head and wet their coat (especially if long haired). Obviously get them to drink if they will but wetting the feet will go really far in keeping them from overheating.

Last edited:
If you ever think you're dog is overheated, put their feet in cool water (not ice cold) then put a cool towel on their head and wet their coat (especially if long haired). Obviously get them to drink if they will but wetting the feet will go really far in keeping them from overheating.

This approach helps a lot. A couple of weekends back, at the SPCA 3K walk in Raleigh, we took Bella, our older black and tan dachshund. She got to the first "watering hole" (kiddie pools filled with water) and took a flying leap into one and laid down. And that is from a dog that refuses to go out in the rain. Anyway, she cooled down quickly and keep trucking to the next set of pools, from which she merely drank.

Back