• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

This approach helps a lot. A couple of weekends back, at the SPCA 3K walk in Raleigh, we took Bella, our older black and tan dachshund. She got to the first "watering hole" (kiddie pools filled with water) and took a flying leap into one and laid down. And that is from a dog that refuses to go out in the rain. Anyway, she cooled down quickly and keep trucking to the next set of pools, from which she merely drank.

My father in law exercising his labs in TX summer heat a lot and they do fine. The key is getting them water often and keeping them wet. He actually has vests he puts on them that he soaks with water first so that they stay wet longer.

In other Raleigh pet news: If you take your dog to the oakwood dog park, bring your own water. Some asshole put anti freeze in the water and killed a dog recently.

That's horrible. Did they find the person that did it?

That's horrible. Did they find the person that did it?

Not that I know of. One of my coworkers told me about it (we live walking distance from the dog park), but our little guy is still so young we don't take him over there much. He mostly just plays with the dogs in our building.

In other Raleigh pet news: If you take your dog to the oakwood dog park, bring your own water. Some asshole put anti freeze in the water and killed a dog recently.

Dude... WTF? Who does some sick shit like that? I hope that person finds severe pain in their lives soon.

I'm in a happy picture mood today.

1083.jpg

So I am sure you all knew it was only a matter of time, but on May 5 we brought Adele home from the SPCA. She is an older Dachshund that came from the Jones County Puppy Mill raid back in February. They listed her as 8 years old, but we think she is more like 12. She had a MASSIVE mammary tumor when she came into the SPCA. They removed it, but it was malignant. However, her most recent bloodwork came back great. She has cancer but the vets don't recommend any chemo and no further surgery.

We don't know how long she'll have left, but she'll get to spend it here in Reiner's old spot. Today she is at the vet getting her teeth cleaned (and quite a few pulled I am sure, since she has never had any medical care her whole life.).

Here are some pics!

This was her intake picture when the SPCA got her in the system. You can see the huge tumor on her belly:
148718_10150856968689330_588964329_9567589_293443370_n.jpg

Here she is being amazed by watching it rain outside while she is dry inside. Everything is a marvel to her right now:
562183_10150856968374330_1891067669_n.jpg

She digs her fluffy bed and having her own "space."
389222_10150856968394330_1862664501_n.jpg

She loves burrowing behind the couch cushions and then peeking out. (Of course, she can't see very well. You can see that she has fully pigmented cataracts, so her vision is limited at best.)
536421_10150902812144330_588964329_9653212_546835549_n.jpg

Oh and she is a hoarder of all the dog toys:
181825_10150905974314330_588964329_9663526_71384802_n.jpg

My lab mix chews up any sort of bed we put in his crate. He will be 2 in October, so he has been sleeping on the plastic pan in his crate for too long. Any recommendations for a dog bed that he might not destroy.

Adele is so adorable! We had a dachshund growing up (who lived for 18 years), so I always love them.

I'm sure she is loving being loved by y'all in her late years.

Adele is so adorable! We had a dachshund growing up (who lived for 18 years), so I always love them.

I'm sure she is loving being loved by y'all in her late years.

She is doing great so far. We haven't even had too much trouble with her peeing in the house. Only a few accidents so far, which is admirable considering she spent all of her life in a dirt floor pen out in a shed where she just peed as she pleased.

She has tried to scrap with the other dogs here and there, but I think it's just a combination of her being a very dominant female and the fact that she just can't see all that well so when the other dogs jump up on the couch it's as if they just appeared right in her face! She and Woody seem to be pretty chummy already. Myles is pretty indifferent to her. Bella is the one who doesn't seem to like her very much, but that's two female dogs for you. With that said, they were laying in a yin yang ball with each other last night so we might be getting there.

She is doing great so far. We haven't even had too much trouble with her peeing in the house. Only a few accidents so far, which is admirable considering she spent all of her life in a dirt floor pen out in a shed where she just peed as she pleased.

She has tried to scrap with the other dogs here and there, but I think it's just a combination of her being a very dominant female and the fact that she just can't see all that well so when the other dogs jump up on the couch it's as if they just appeared right in her face! She and Woody seem to be pretty chummy already. Myles is pretty indifferent to her. Bella is the one who doesn't seem to like her very much, but that's two female dogs for you. With that said, they were laying in a yin yang ball with each other last night so we might be getting there.

Bitches, man, bitches.

those bitches. :)

she looks like such a sweetie, and it's so amazing of yall to adopt her. when we get a big enough place, i'd love to do that. there are so many lovely, older dogs out there that deserve good homes.

Back