• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

Deacon, our lab mix, has a booming bark. He is not quite as vocal as Booger, but he gets skittish at night from reflections in the windows and such. I would imagine his bark would deter some crime from the other side of the door.

Deacon, our lab mix, has a booming bark. He is not quite as vocal as Booger, but he gets skittish at night from reflections in the windows and such. I would imagine his bark would deter some crime from the other side of the door.

we would be screwed in the event of a home invasion. jackson would try to be their friend.

eta: actually, i take this back. when the apt repair guy had to come by unexpectedly, jackson came out of his post (back bathroom tile floor) and stood at heel until i was clearly ok with the guy being there.

we would be screwed in the event of a home invasion. jackson would try to be their friend.

eta: actually, i take this back. when the apt repair guy had to come by unexpectedly, jackson came out of his post (back bathroom tile floor) and stood at heel until i was clearly ok with the guy being there.

Deacon is the friendlier of my two dogs, Booger has always been afraid of everything. I worry much more about them getting over enthusiastic with welcome guests than not defending their turf from invasion.

caddie is only a good watchdog for about 30 seconds. then, as long as you're cool with her, she is your new best friend and will roll over immediately for a belly rub. so really, she's a completely worthless watch dog. but i guess it at least helps me to know if i need to worry.

question for the dog owners on here:

ever since my roommate moved in, my dog has thrown up somewhat frequently (not really THAT much, but at least once a month. previously, she had only thrown up twice in the entire year and a half that i had her). i wasn't all that concerned, because i figured my roommate was inadvertently feeding her something that made her sick, and my dog otherwise seemed fine. but i started noting what she had had to eat right before she got sick each time. finally figured it out...ice cubes. this seemed weird to me, so i googled it, and apparently a lot of dog owners have this problem. but nothing that i read offered a reason WHY. and the same people who said that ice makes their dogs sick would suggest pureeing frozen fruit instead. which makes no sense to me since it's still the same issue of frozen food.

anybody know why this is happening?

Cutest dog ever?

red-tibetan-mastiff580-1300291494.jpg

umm, no.

but this one might be:

33mtlat.jpg

I know it has been discussed on here before, but the Thundershirt is the real deal.

Pet teeth cleaning, worth it or worthless? In the past Harvey hasnt had his teeth cleaned, and dental sticks did the job. Now his breath stays rank, even after dental sticks.

is bad breath just the issue? or do they look bad too?

the drops that you put in their water bowl have been good enough to keep caddie's breath smelling alright (though she really doesn't like it when i add the drops, and she drinks less water because of it. i wonder if i'm doing more harm than good). but she's starting to get plaque buildup. i'm thinking i'm going to have to resort to getting them really cleaned.

He's starting to get some plaque buildup. We've never had any of our dogs teeth cleaned before, but then again we've never had an inside dog before him. I have a doggy toothbrush with chicken flavored toothpaste at home I'm going to try this weekend.

if you can get the toothpaste/brush to do the trick, please let me know. i started brushing more regularly when caddie started getting buildup, but i think it was too late. i can't seem to notice any change, and instead the attempts have left her gums really, REALLY sensitive (accidentally made them bleed once) :(

Pet teeth cleaning, worth it or worthless? In the past Harvey hasnt had his teeth cleaned, and dental sticks did the job. Now his breath stays rank, even after dental sticks.

Probably depends on the condition of the teeth and gums. The breath becoming worse may be indicative of excessive plaque or periodontal issues. We cleaned our last collie's teeth with C.E.T dog toothpaste we got from the vet, and when necessary a dental pick (cleaned w/ alcohol -- the pick, not the teeth) and never had the need during her 12 yrs to get a professional cleaning done. Our new one is still a pup, and only recently had her first "brushing" by us w/ the C.E.T. stuff. I wouldn't recommend doing the dental pick thing if the dog isn't very good about holding still in such situations -- don't want to make things worse by lacerating its gums or eye if it has a meltdown.

Last edited:

Brushing only really helps if you do it all the time. Some dogs just have better teeth than others. RDToy's dog, Myles, has never had his teeth cleaned and they really don't look bad at all. He is probably about 9 or 10 years old.

My oldest Dachshund Bella is 10 and has had her teeth cleaned three times and has had nine teeth extracted. My younger dachshund Woody just got his teeth cleaned for the first time at age 6 and had one extraction.

The one thing I will say with the dachshunds is that they had started to get pretty bad gum disease and the professional cleaning really helps with that. You can definitely tell that they feel much better right after that. I would say Bella had hers done this past February and then immediately acted like she was several younger. Much happier and more playful, plus she ate better because her mouth felt so much better.

I am a proponent of it, but I would not just take the Vet's advice and just say they automatically need a teeth cleaning every year because it is damned expensive, especially if there is anything extra to be done. (i.e. we had a tumor on Bella cut off and biopsied, which added a lot of expense.) I would just watch their teeth and get them as needed. However, if you're looking at Harvey and thinking, "He might need a teeth cleaning." he probably does. If you want to go ahead with it, shop around though, as prices vary wildly from Vet to Vet.

I tend to go with our expensive vet that is their normal doctor because it is so convenient and close to my house, plus the dogs don't really get worked up about going there because they're used to it.

IMG00061-20120519-2219.jpg

This dog has to hate me for making him lay like this for over a minute.

My daughter-in-law was walking their mini dachsund in the neighborhood last evening when a large black lab attacked and mauled it. Home now after all nite at the emergency vet. Very irresponsible dog owner as this was not the lab's first offence. Anyone else have anything similar happen? What actions were taken as a result of the attack?

Last edited:
My daughter-in-law was walking their mini dachsund in the neighborhood last evening when a large black lab attacked and mauled it. Home now after all nite at the emergency vet. Very irresponsible dog owner as this was not the lab's first offence. Anyone else have anything similar happen? What actions were taken as a result of the attack?
Bring vet bill to dog owner. Tell them to pay the bill or you'll be notifying the authorities and filing a small claims suit against them for the vet costs plus other damages. Hopefully the threat of legal action plus potentially losing their dog will do the trick (and make them be responsible). I'd personally try to not involve animal control/cops but it's up to you. Also, the fact that they are aware the dog has done it before exposes them to more civil penalties in a lawsuit and possibly criminal charges as well.

Bring vet bill to dog owner. Tell them to pay the bill or you'll be notifying the authorities and filing a small claims suit against them for the vet costs plus other damages. Hopefully the threat of legal action plus potentially losing their dog will do the trick (and make them be responsible). I'd personally try to not involve animal control/cops but it's u
p to you. Also, the fact that they are aware the dog has done it before exposes them to more civil penalties in a lawsuit and possibly criminal charges as well.

Owner paid up the initial $500 after my son got in his face about it (owner balked when he realized the bill would be hefty). There are more bills to come, which will be addressed,to owner. My son had to pay $100 in order to bring the dog home. My older son is an attorney who will no doubt relish the chance to bring shock and awe, fear and trembling to this creep. Hopefully the mini dach will recover without complications. She's a pretty sick little girl right now but has good care.

Is there any way to train a dog to not sloppily drink their water? Every time the dog gets back from a run, she goes over to her water and basically just slops it all over the floor. We moved her water and food to a place where it doesn't matter if she spills, but it'd be nice to not have to clean up every time she comes back in.

Back