• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

She is doing great so far. We haven't even had too much trouble with her peeing in the house. Only a few accidents so far, which is admirable considering she spent all of her life in a dirt floor pen out in a shed where she just peed as she pleased.

Granted Amber was only 1 (we think) when we got her she took to peeing outside quickly. It was the indoor pooping that we had more trouble breaking her from. We're pretty excited, the shelter told us that we'd most likely never be able to have her off a leash, and a short 3 months later I'm taking her outside without one. She doesnt run off anymore, but occasionally gets hard headed and wont come to me, but she's learning. Her progress is amazing in such a short period of time.

Granted Amber was only 1 (we think) when we got her she took to peeing outside quickly. It was the indoor pooping that we had more trouble breaking her from. We're pretty excited, the shelter told us that we'd most likely never be able to have her off a leash, and a short 3 months later I'm taking her outside without one. She doesnt run off anymore, but occasionally gets hard headed and wont come to me, but she's learning. Her progress is amazing in such a short period of time.

That's awesome. We feel the same way with Adele. She has made big strides in a short amount of time. However, even though she does know her new name, she will not obey the "come" command yet. She is super food motivated though, so I don't think it will be too long.

That's awesome. We feel the same way with Adele. She has made big strides in a short amount of time. However, even though she does know her new name, she will not obey the "come" command yet. She is super food motivated though, so I don't think it will be too long.

does your other doxie come?

my parents' dog, rudy, knows his name and looks at you and you can pretty much watch him make the decision to ignore you and keep doing waht he's doing. granted, he's also pretttyyyyy simple-minded (think 'simple jack'- we lovingly call him 'simple rudy' when he barks at leaves in the road) so it may just be that he's dumb... i don't know how much i buy that, though, because i'd taught him to sit for about a week when he was younger. it was never enforced or kept up so he lost it. i think the smarts are there, he's just not well-trained and only gets away with it because he's little and cute. if he was a larger dog, we'd be up shit creek.

So I really, really want a dog, but my landlord has a no pet policy for our condo. We love the condo and are about to extend our lease for another year. We've been great renters so far, and I'm going to try to get him to change his mind. Any tips for this?

Also, I want a pretty big dog, but want to be fair to the animal given that we live in a 1300 sq foot condo. Any advice on breeds? I'm definitely open to adoption as well. Pros and cons? I'm sure these things may have been discussed previously, but any input is appreciated!

small condo... what's the yard situation? how often would you be able to really exercise it?

So I really, really want a dog, but my landlord has a no pet policy for our condo. We love the condo and are about to extend our lease for another year. We've been great renters so far, and I'm going to try to get him to change his mind. Any tips for this?

Also, I want a pretty big dog, but want to be fair to the animal given that we live in a 1300 sq foot condo. Any advice on breeds? I'm definitely open to adoption as well. Pros and cons? I'm sure these things may have been discussed previously, but any input is appreciated!

My place is smaller than yours and I've got an 80lb Labrador (not sure if you consider that a big dog), which I am convinced is the greatest type of dog ever. Anyway, he's finally calmed down a little bit and doesn't mind being inside. He gets plenty of playtime/walks and being in a small place isn't a problem.

General Tips:
-Unless you're going to work the dog (like use it to hunt), adopt.
-Consider an older dog/pup that has been house trained/crate trained, especially if this is your first.
-If the dog isn't already, get them spayed/neutered immediately.

I would be able to give it plenty of exercise, and there is a large grass/natural area outside the condo complex. We are also back in a neighborhood, so walks/runs would be very easy.

I definitely want to start with a puppy, even though I know it will be more work. I've heard a lot of stories about adopted dogs having health issues that end up costing thousands to fix/care for. Thoughts?

Oh, and I definitely consider a Lab to be a big dog.

With your landlord, try to mention the following:
(1) Set a weight limit for the dog ("We're looking to get a dog, no bigger than ___ pounds...")
(2) Offer to provide a pet deposit of $150 (if you're feeling ballsy, make it a refundable deposit)
(3) Look up the HOA rules for the condo and send them, showing them that the building allows dogs of this size
(4) "We're definitely interested in renewing the lease. One small sticking point, however, is that my chick wants to get a dog (better than a baby, I guess!)." Make someone else the bad guy for wanting the dog.

I would be able to give it plenty of exercise, and there is a large grass/natural area outside the condo complex. We are also back in a neighborhood, so walks/runs would be very easy.

I definitely want to start with a puppy, even though I know it will be more work. I've heard a lot of stories about adopted dogs having health issues that end up costing thousands to fix/care for. Thoughts?

Oh, and I definitely consider a Lab to be a big dog.

Valid concern. Certain organizations will have dogs checked out so owners know what's going on. You can always ask the adoption organization if they've had the dog examined. The Low Country Lab Rescue comes to mind; I believe they have all animals examined, spayed/neutered, and brought current on shots prior to placing them. When you get a dog off of craigslist (like I did), you're rolling the dice. We lucked out mostly (our dog has bad hips which will impact him down the road; he's 4.5 and they're not a problem for him right now).

I guess I'm kind of a sucker for dogs needing good homes. All I'm saying is consider looking at some rescues in your area as part of your search.

Last edited:
Cutest dog ever?

red-tibetan-mastiff580-1300291494.jpg

I should have put "Frizzy 80s glam hairbad fur"

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm going to have the discussion with my landlord when I drop off next month's rent.

does your other doxie come?

my parents' dog, rudy, knows his name and looks at you and you can pretty much watch him make the decision to ignore you and keep doing waht he's doing. granted, he's also pretttyyyyy simple-minded (think 'simple jack'- we lovingly call him 'simple rudy' when he barks at leaves in the road) so it may just be that he's dumb... i don't know how much i buy that, though, because i'd taught him to sit for about a week when he was younger. it was never enforced or kept up so he lost it. i think the smarts are there, he's just not well-trained and only gets away with it because he's little and cute. if he was a larger dog, we'd be up shit creek.

Sounds very Dachshundesque. My other Doxies come when they're called. They both sit and lay down pretty well. They do NOT listen when I tell them to stop barking at doorbells, other dogs walking by the house, etc. Also, sometimes they will both look at you, clearly make the decision not to listen, and continue upon their way. Dachshunds are awesome, but they take patience and a willingness to constantly correct/remain the alpha. They will absolutely rule you if you let them. And I'm not going to lie, I am guilty of it sometimes.

I have a 1000 sq ft condo on the second floor of a building. I've had a great dane, flat coated retriever, bull terrier, greyhound, golden, and german shorthaired pointer in there at various times. Great danes and greyhounds are among the top big dogs that will do well in a condo/apartment. A lot of people were amazed that I had a great dane when they saw me outside, I kept getting "I didn't even know you had a dog in there, let alone a huge one". Greyhounds are awesome dogs too - very quiet and known as the 45 mph couch potato. They like to watch tv and relax when inside and a couple short times outside will keep them happy (they're sprinters, not endurance athletes). Obviously, goldens and flat coats are great dogs but cancer is very prevalent due to overbreeding. GSPs are ridiculously energetic dogs - probably too much for a condo and thankfully I only had him for a couple weeks while my friends were on vacation. Bull terriers are my favorite breed but you have to tolerate a bunch of stupid crap as they're clowns 24/7. I have a mini bull terrier that trances (walks very slowly) to food and has a pretty good bully talk. My bull terrier wants to keep going during walks while the greyhound is ready to stop about half way.

Definitely adopt if you can. The local shelter has great dogs but if you have a certain breed in mind and no dogs from the shelter meet what you're looking for, either petfinder or a breed rescue will provide access to the breed. Mixed dogs are generally healthier than the pure breeds due to expanding the gene pool. Repeated breeding from a limited population is the primary reason for a lot of genetic and hereditary conditions (cancer esp.).

While certain breeds are better than others in a smaller living area, it depends on the dog and how much you take them outside. Most dogs are going to not do well in a condo if they get very limited time outside to blow off steam. I'd also strongly consider the amount and pitch that a breed barks. Little dogs bark more often and at a higher pitch than bigger dogs generally. Nothing worse than a yorkshire terrier barking at 2am in an apartment.

I have a 1000 sq ft condo on the second floor of a building. I've had a great dane, flat coated retriever, bull terrier, greyhound, golden, and german shorthaired pointer in there at various times. Great danes and greyhounds are among the top big dogs that will do well in a condo/apartment. A lot of people were amazed that I had a great dane when they saw me outside, I kept getting "I didn't even know you had a dog in there, let alone a huge one". Greyhounds are awesome dogs too - very quiet and known as the 45 mph couch potato. They like to watch tv and relax when inside and a couple short times outside will keep them happy (they're sprinters, not endurance athletes). Obviously, goldens and flat coats are great dogs but cancer is very prevalent due to overbreeding. GSPs are ridiculously energetic dogs - probably too much for a condo and thankfully I only had him for a couple weeks while my friends were on vacation. Bull terriers are my favorite breed but you have to tolerate a bunch of stupid crap as they're clowns 24/7. I have a mini bull terrier that trances (walks very slowly) to food and has a pretty good bully talk. My bull terrier wants to keep going during walks while the greyhound is ready to stop about half way.

Definitely adopt if you can. The local shelter has great dogs but if you have a certain breed in mind and no dogs from the shelter meet what you're looking for, either petfinder or a breed rescue will provide access to the breed. Mixed dogs are generally healthier than the pure breeds due to expanding the gene pool. Repeated breeding from a limited population is the primary reason for a lot of genetic and hereditary conditions (cancer esp.).

While certain breeds are better than others in a smaller living area, it depends on the dog and how much you take them outside. Most dogs are going to not do well in a condo if they get very limited time outside to blow off steam. I'd also strongly consider the amount and pitch that a breed barks. Little dogs bark more often and at a higher pitch than bigger dogs generally. Nothing worse than a yorkshire terrier barking at 2am in an apartment.

People don't think about this enough. Good call! That is one of the advantages of the Dachshund. They bark like fiends, but it is a notoriously big bark for such a small dog. Most people think Woody is much bigger than he is based on his voice. While it can still get on your nerves, it is not as grating to have a dog with a deeper bark.

We have a Westie who doesn't bark too much. Our neighbors have a Yorkie that I want to kill. Badly. It barks. All. The. Time.

People don't think about this enough. Good call! That is one of the advantages of the Dachshund. They bark like fiends, but it is a notoriously big bark for such a small dog. Most people think Woody is much bigger than he is based on his voice. While it can still get on your nerves, it is not as grating to have a dog with a deeper bark.

yep, rudy has a 'big voice' and barks at any/everything. his post is on a beanbag looking out one of the front windows... mom always knows when anything is out of the ordinary (blessing and a curse).

our lab, otoh, has never made more than a whining noise in his sleep once. apparently when he was about 2, he barked at another dog for coming after his 'girlfriend' (a blue pit), but that's the only time he's ever really barked. super chill dog. we live in a ~1000sf apt now, and with his good long walk he's content in there for 8 hrs during the day... but he's also 12+ yrs old. i know he was worked a TON to tire him out when he was younger. if you are going to do a bigger dog, i'd consider (read: definitely) crate training.

Back