• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

Update on the rescue Dachshund, Addie. She went to the vet a couple of weeks back and now weighs 21.4 pounds. Ummm, boo on RDToy and I for letting her get so fat. She should only weigh about 16 pounds or so, maybe 17 max! She has gone from skin and bones to plump. Got to get her back in shape before she ends up looking like Obie here:

tumblr_ma94vqzRYZ1qzpo8yo1_400.jpg

ETA: To be clear, that picture is of Obie the obese dachshund, and NOT Addie. I won't post unflattering photos of Addie right now. It might hurt her self esteem. :)

Obie makes me incredibly sad. Really, every time I see that picture I get sad.

That's awesome. We feel the same way with Adele. She has made big strides in a short amount of time. However, even though she does know her new name, she will not obey the "come" command yet. She is super food motivated though, so I don't think it will be too long.

I see the root of the problem....

I see the root of the problem....

Indeed. Although we have found it's not necessarily food that is the motivating factor. It's anything she can eat. She is like a goat. She was sick a few weeks back and vomited up a piece of black rubber, part of two different dog leashes, the ear of a dog toy, a random piece of plastic and what looked like a piece of wood. And this is with us watching her like a hawk. She literally eats everything.

There are few things that Felix enjoys more than playing "blanket monster" in bed

2zdyhz5.jpg

He looks like the result of crossing a doxie with a penguin.

Indeed. Although we have found it's not necessarily food that is the motivating factor. It's anything she can eat. She is like a goat. She was sick a few weeks back and vomited up a piece of black rubber, part of two different dog leashes, the ear of a dog toy, a random piece of plastic and what looked like a piece of wood. And this is with us watching her like a hawk. She literally eats everything.

What about ice cubes? Would that work? That is the "treat" we reward Amber with.

He looks like the result of crossing a doxie with a penguin.

What about ice cubes? Would that work? That is the "treat" we reward Amber with.

Ice cubes don't really interest her as much, but most anything else does, so we use green beans, carrots and peeled cucumbers. Frozen green beans might be the choicest of those. Most anything will work though.

I was cooking the other night and dropped a big chunk of raw onion into the floor. She ate that like candy and spent the next 5 minutes looking for more.

Have you tried flavoring the ice cubes with chicken broth or beef bullion? We bought some dog shaped ice trays and make our own flavored treats.

My mom's dog LOVES ice cubes. When I was at her house and the ice maker on the fridge would go off as we get some water she'd immediately run over and jump up against the fridge to get some leftovers. I definitely spoiled her for those few days.

Of course google says its bad but fuck it, DOLO

My mom's dog LOVES ice cubes. When I was at her house and the ice maker on the fridge would go off as we get some water she'd immediately run over and jump up against the fridge to get some leftovers. I definitely spoiled her for those few days.

Of course google says its bad but fuck it, DOLO

Bizarre, you posted that about Google and I was all like "Huh?" so I had to go look it up. I am really hesitant to buy into the theory that ice cubes cause bloat. (Unfortunately I have some experience with bloat. That is how we lost our Weimaraner Haydn several years ago.) I read back through several posts and they all seem to link back to that one lady's post about giving ice to her show dog. Seems too urban legendy to me.

Your mom's dog sounds like our Weimie Reiner, who died back in April. He worshipped ice cubes as the greatest of all treats. If you went to make a drink he would tear into the kitchen from wherever he was in the house and beg for ice each and every time.

oh man, jackson LOOOVES popcorn.

depends- what's the reasoning behind it?

i feel like if you had a real working dog, it would make sense to have an almost all-protein diet, but (no offense) duncan is not exactly a working dog. i feel like if it's a huge expense to you beyond what relatively normal dog food would cost, it might be worth examining again.

Most vets, my sister included, will usually tell you to feed the cheapest dog food with a good breakdown of protein percentage, carbohydrate percentage, etc. that doesn't adversely affect the dog. With that said, we feed dry kibble, but only with low or no amounts of corn or especially wheat. My black and tan Dachshund, Bella, has some food sensitivity issues. Her hair and skin is in much better shape without the wheat in her food. If she eats food with wheat in it she starts chewing on her feet all the time, scratching all the time, skin gets dry, etc.

depends- what's the reasoning behind it?

i feel like if you had a real working dog, it would make sense to have an almost all-protein diet, but (no offense) duncan is not exactly a working dog. i feel like if it's a huge expense to you beyond what relatively normal dog food would cost, it might be worth examining again.

We mostly do it because some Westie's develop allergies and they are more likely to if they have a lot of grain. They are also more likely to develop cross allergies if they have foods with a lot of different ingredients. This way, if we stick to the same food, if he ever gets allergies we can just switch foods and he, more than likely, won't have any other allergies to it. Also its good for his coat, which westies and other terriers have really cool coats if they are treated right.

ETA: Duncan is most def not a working dog. My next dog will be one of these (hopefully):

boykin_spaniel_v03.jpg

Back