• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

Pretty :)

Here's Jackson being a weirdo- he puts his paws up so you can scratch his chest, and as soon as you do he throws a paw over your arm. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350590855.474392.jpg

And yes, his claws need to be trimmed.

Taking Harvey on Friday to get his teeth cleaned. It could be his age, but I think its because now that we have Amber, he doesnt chew on his toys as much because she'll take them away from him. This could be interesting, he's not a fan of the vet anyways because his traumatic experience with the walnut and its subsequent removal.

My view in my home office this morning:

403457_10151256967579260_282032648_n.jpg

Haha that's awesome. How many dogs do you have?

So Sherman chews on any and everything. Come home from work and half the bottom shelf is cleared, chewed to shreds, and left lying in the yard. Multiple days we've come home and he has gotten everything out of the recyclables & shredding box. Will he grow out of this in time? Or will he keep this up?

So Sherman chews on any and everything. Come home from work and half the bottom shelf is cleared, chewed to shreds, and left lying in the yard. Multiple days we've come home and he has gotten everything out of the recyclables & shredding box. Will he grow out of this in time? Or will he keep this up?

That's all four of them, in one pile.

Probably will grow out of it. Does he have enough allowable stuff to chew on? Ours is generally satisfied with these beef knuckles when she is looking for something to chew on.

6292093508p

Can you crate him during the day? Deacon is a chewer. If he is inside unsupervised, he is in his crate. He can't have a bed in his crate, because he has chewed about a half dozen of them. He just turned 2.

lens9245091_1266751277kong-dogstoys.jpg

Try packing a Kong with some peanut butter, cheese, dog food, and/or treats. This should keep your dog entertained for an hour or two trying to get everything out of it.

Can you crate him during the day? Deacon is a chewer. If he is inside unsupervised, he is in his crate. He can't have a bed in his crate, because he has chewed about a half dozen of them. He just turned 2.

lens9245091_1266751277kong-dogstoys.jpg

Try packing a Kong with some peanut butter, cheese, dog food, and/or treats. This should keep your dog entertained for an hour or two trying to get everything out of it.

i second this. my dog was definitely a big chewer when she was a puppy. also, they usually do it because their minds aren't occupied. there are some interactive toys that you can use to feed your dog. you just put the food in it, and they have to figure out the puzzle in order to get the food out. my dog's day care recommended that i get her one of those, because if her mind is stimulated, she's less likely to destroy things.

also, spraying or soaking things that they ARE allowed to chew on in low sodium beef stock worked for me. it was an easy way for my dog to figure out what she was and wasn't allowed to chew on.

i second this. my dog was definitely a big chewer when she was a puppy. also, they usually do it because their minds aren't occupied. there are some interactive toys that you can use to feed your dog. you just put the food in it, and they have to figure out the puzzle in order to get the food out. my dog's day care recommended that i get her one of those, because if her mind is stimulated, she's less likely to destroy things.

also, spraying or soaking things that they ARE allowed to chew on in low sodium beef stock worked for me. it was an easy way for my dog to figure out what she was and wasn't allowed to chew on.

You have a Sheltie, right? Do you crate her during the day?

You have a Sheltie, right? Do you crate her during the day?

not anymore. i did when she was a puppy. but she doesn't really destroy things anymore (except for her own toys which last approximately 20 seconds each time i give her a new one). once she quit destroying things, she started having the privilege to roam freely in the common areas of the house. i keep doors to my basement, bedroom, guest bedroom, and bathrooms closed. but she has the ability to move around the kitchen, living room, dining area, study, and hallways.

Oh we've tried everything. We've bought 2 Kongs & filled them with PB, a rubber bone, multiple flavored of normal bones, different shapes of normal bones, tennis balls, baseballs, rubber balls, rope bones. That is no exaggeration. He tore the rope bones apart in 20 minutes.

I love the spraying things with beef stock idea. Felix is usually pretty good about not chewing things; but every once in a while he will chew something that is accessible to him that is new. My shin guards last week for instance.

I think spraying/marking what he can chew should help with this.

I'll post his face to me asking him if the chewed shin guard was his later tonight if I remember. The boy knew he did wrong. It was so cute. Stupid dog.

He's just trying to tell you he doesn't approve of you spending so much time away from him consumed with the footy.

So our rescue Dachshund Addie came from a puppy mill where she was a breeder dog. Who knows how many puppies the poor dog has had.

I was not thinking about that the other night when I downloaded some "dog sounds" to my phone to torment the dogs. They mostly didn't care about the barking and howling and such, but then I played one, not really knowing what it was. It was whimpers and yowls from a scared puppy. Addie FREAKED out. She was running around the house, whining, panting and desperate to find that puppy and help it. Took me about 10 good minutes to get her calmed down.

I am a terrible person.

So our rescue Dachshund Addie came from a puppy mill where she was a breeder dog. Who knows how many puppies the poor dog has had.

I was not thinking about that the other night when I downloaded some "dog sounds" to my phone to torment the dogs. They mostly didn't care about the barking and howling and such, but then I played one, not really knowing what it was. It was whimpers and yowls from a scared puppy. Addie FREAKED out. She was running around the house, whining, panting and desperate to find that puppy and help it. Took me about 10 good minutes to get her calmed down.

I am a terrible person.

If you get a chance, let me know what hell is like.

Back