• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

Such a cutie. What's the breed? I know what your first act of ownership will be, clipping them nails.

She's a miniature dachshund. Our friends who have been fostering her are bringing her over from Tennessee later today; she just her 8-week shots & had had those talons taken care of this morning.

She's a miniature dachshund. Our friends who have been fostering her are bringing her over from Tennessee later today; she just her 8-week shots & had had those talons taken care of this morning.

Ah! We had a long-haired miniature dachshund growing up and she was the best. Lived to just two weeks shy of her 18th birthday.

eeeeek, adorable. looks like my parents dog when we got him- he was such a tiny bugger.

i will say this about mini dachshunds- they're stubborn as hell and kind of aggressive, so stay on the training. the only reason my parents' dog isn't a total problem is the fact he's only 11lbs. if he acted the way he does and was any bigger, he'd have to be contained.

eeeeek, adorable. looks like my parents dog when we got him- he was such a tiny bugger.

i will say this about mini dachshunds- they're stubborn as hell and kind of aggressive, so stay on the training. the only reason my parents' dog isn't a total problem is the fact he's only 11lbs. if he acted the way he does and was any bigger, he'd have to be contained.

Yeah, unfortunately I kind of have to agree with this. We didn't do a great job of training ours. Most of the time she was fine, but if she had been bigger her issues would've been worse.

Harvey is beagle daschund, and I'll be honest. I love him to death, but he can be a little bitch. My aunt and uncle have a black lab that is significantly larger than he is, and all Harvey wants to do is growl and snap at him whenever he approaches. Even if he wants to play, Harv wants none of it. Amber on the other hand is incredibly loveable and will play with any dog.

How do you place yours outside? I have dogs the chew on everything possible, including a flower pot they broke. Need to avoid them to getting this if we get one.

Hang it on a tree along the fence where they do most of their barking.

the new pup is getting along spectacularly well. my older dog has handled it great & she's definitely got some maternal instincts with her.

bV3zToa.jpg

kGFSbPv.jpg

That's so awesome VT.

So my dogs keep getting their collars off. We've gone through 3 collars for Lilly in the past 3 weeks because we can't find them. Any tips/ideas?

I guess that is a no. I had a 75 gallon tank when I was younger, but never kept one through college. My girlfriend and I just bought a house, so I'm thinking of getting into it again. I'm going to start small, but eventually want to get up in tank size again.

I found a 30 gallon tank and stand on craigslist last night for $50. I think I'm going to do the planted freshwater tank route, but am also considering a reef tank for my first foray into saltwater.

I had a tank through college and most of law school. I kept a 25 gallon freshwater tank.

That's so awesome VT.

So my dogs keep getting their collars off. We've gone through 3 collars for Lilly in the past 3 weeks because we can't find them. Any tips/ideas?

Sorry to ask the obvious question here, but is there a way to tighten the collar a little bit so the dogs can't pull them off?

That's so awesome VT.

Obviously your dogs need bigger heads. You should compliment them more often.

Sorry to ask the obvious question here, but is there a way to tighten the collar a little bit so the dogs can't pull them off?

We put them as tight as possible without choking the dog, or seeming like it would. The dogs wrestle constantly so I imagine paws & mouths are tugging on the collars which then loosens them. Who knows how they get it off though.

My dog doesn't really pull her collar off, but instead sometimes it comes off if I pull her. If her neck is the same size as her head, collar can come off.

You could try a harness. That might work better.

Only dog I ever had was a short haired mini dacshund as well, mom got it for me after my brother and sister went off to college.

The ones with the shortest noses are the cutest, some with the long/pointy noses aren't as adorable. Yours looks adorable.

Main key is to quite early do things/setup your house so that the dog isn't jumping up and down off couches, etc. Dacshund's end up with back problems, that's why we eventually had to put ours down after about 11-12 years IIRC.

So an update on my car situation thanks to the dogs:

The car still smells awful. Bought more airfresheners this weekend. But last night my AC broke. No fan, no heat, no AC. Nothing comes out of the vents. Soooo now the car smells bad even while driving because there's nothing to pump the airfresheners. Awesomeeeeeee. And it smells SO bad once I get in it in the afternoon cause its been baking out in the sun.

If you're worried about it coming off period, harness is probably the way to go. If it's coming off when walking/doing other stuff on a leash, I recommend this (example, there are a bunch of different options/designs/sizes/thickness):
http://www.amazon.com/Lupine-1-Inch...Collar/dp/B0042AMQ2O/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_7http://www.amazon.com/Black-Large-M...ollar/dp/B0021KC3DO/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_35

Martingale collars originated with sightsounds since their heads are thinner than their necks so it will be loose until the back loop is pulled by the leash and then will get tight around the dog's neck. I've never had a dog slip the collar after fostering 10 greyhounds thus far (2" width). I've started using it on bull terrier fosters as well (1" width).

Last edited:
Back