• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

i mean, we were all just sitting around laughing and talking. there was no anxiety.

and she's not always the nicest dog. she definitely takes a few minutes to warm up to people, and until she does, she will bark nonstop. but typically once she's warmed up and stopped barking, she's your new best friend. we thought she had gotten to that point with dhtoy's dad. she was just chilling sitting there and letting him pet her.

If it's a regular problem with barking. You could get an anti-barking aid that gives a sonic correction from the barking. I would probably consult a trainer for some ideas. I'm sure in Charlotte there should be tons of resources available.

Also, hoops, I meant be careful with anxiety going forward. Who knows that triggered her this weekend, but going forward if you are anxious about it happening again, she will pick up on something making you worried.

Also, hoops, I meant be careful with anxiety going forward. Who knows that triggered her this weekend, but going forward if you are anxious about it happening again, she will pick up on something making you worried.

yeah, true. i'm aware we'll have to be careful (though it's doubtful we'll allow her around him again anytime soon).

and she has a bark collar now, but her first one broke and we took a good long while to replace it. the training held for a couple of months, then she kind of regressed. the new one arrived this weekend, so we will start using it again. definitely helps a lot.

yeah, true. i'm aware we'll have to be careful (though it's doubtful we'll allow her around him again anytime soon).

and she has a bark collar now, but her first one broke and we took a good long while to replace it. the training held for a couple of months, then she kind of regressed. the new one arrived this weekend, so we will start using it again. definitely helps a lot.

http://www.petco.com/product/11575/PetSafe-Indoor-Bark-Control-Ultrasonic-Pet-Training-System.aspx

This is the indoor equivalent to what we used outside with our boys. Might be more durable than the collar. The outdoor version really works great with ours.

We want to take our pups camping with us sometime in May. Good idea or bad idea? Any suggestions of a great place to camp that is pet friendly?

We want to take our pups camping with us sometime in May. Good idea or bad idea? Any suggestions of a great place to camp that is pet friendly?

we are taking ours when we camp in pisgah. i can report back on whether or not it's a good idea later. i've taken caddie once before, but it was a very different setting (big open fields rather than really wooded), so i don't know if i'll change my mind when it's harder for me to find her if she runs off.

I assume we'd have to keep them on a leash while there, but I could be wrong. We're debating between renting a rustic cabin the first time. I'm not sure how they'll do sleeping in a tent. I could envision them tearing the things to shreds when they hear a squirrel outside.

Felix has done really well the couple of times we've taken him up into the mountains. Taking him again in two weekends, in fact. He is convinced that he is a mountain dog, I believe.

I assume we'd have to keep them on a leash while there, but I could be wrong. We're debating between renting a rustic cabin the first time. I'm not sure how they'll do sleeping in a tent. I could envision them tearing the things to shreds when they hear a squirrel outside.

A-10521588

We've used this for our dogs (crate sleepers) for traveling, and they work great. They are the ones that "fold" up into a disk by twisting your arms. Depending on where you are going (backpacking or car camping), it will be very convenient. I would much rather my dog potentially tear up a $30 crate than a tent. Also, don't know about your dogs, but mine tend to be less excitable when in crates with less barking and what not.

Lucy, the dog, ate a toad. Regular old garden toad in raleigh. Any reason to worry?

Did she foam at the mouth? Our dogs do that when they eat a toad. As a precaution we gave them a benadryl and they were fine.

we would take jackson when it's warm enough outside; he slept outside the tent under his own tarp. we set up a (really) long line between trees and would clip his leash to that so he could get up, walk around, etc, without us having to constantly hold a leash. this is what we did w/ him as we cooked dinner, etc, too. he could be nearby, but not all up in the food/fire/smoke. this worked well back in NC, when we went with him this past summer in OR he kind of freaked out over the course of the night, but I don't know if that's an age thing or what. lots of whimpering and shaking. It wasn't an odd or cold situation and there was nothing out there, so next time he comes with us we'll probably take a big enough tent that he can be in with us :/

I used to take Reiner camping all the time. He loved sleeping in the tent. I had an old sleeping bag for him to use as a bed and when he was ready to go to bed, he would stand by the tent and whine. I would let him in there and he would bed down and then act annoyed when you came to bed later. I miss that dog. (Tough day here. Today was the one year anniversary of us losing that goofball.)

As for the toad, it's probably fine. With that said Benadryl solves lots of problems and is one of THE go to medicines you should always have on hand for dogs. It was invaluable with all the snake bites we've dealt with for our dogs.

We're finally taking in dog #2 today.

Hope for it to keep my 8 year old mutt young.

We've got a great fenced in back yard & I tried to take the advice from here on doing this (adding another dog to the mix) at a time where the weather is conducive to letting them play outside a bunch to let them get to know eachother.

Kqgxzyx.jpg

We're finally taking in dog #2 today.

Hope for it to keep my 8 year old mutt young.

We've got a great fenced in back yard & I tried to take the advice from here on doing this (adding another dog to the mix) at a time where the weather is conducive to letting them play outside a bunch to let them get to know eachother.

Kqgxzyx.jpg
We added another dog about a month ago, hoping to keep our 13 y.o. dog young. So far so good, they play tug of war, Ralph copies Chester whenever they are outside together, etc. Puppies are so much work though, good thing he's already friends with those paper towels (we should have bought stock - though he is having less accidents lately)

Such a cutie. What's the breed? I know what your first act of ownership will be, clipping them nails.

Make it a treat/affection experience. Get it to love the process. It will make everything so much easier down the road.

Back