• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

u7yns.jpg

24fcxa0.jpg

That second picture is awesome, chic.

I'm pretty nervous about how our dogs will adapt to a baby when we have one in a few years. I was thinking about Booger (now 7 years old), and how he will probably be pretty snuggly and protective, but have little patience for rough housing at that point. Then I got to thinking how our first kid probably won't remember too much about Booger as he'll probably be gone before they are very old. That was a pretty sad train of though.

I'm pretty nervous about how our dogs will adapt to a baby when we have one in a few years. I was thinking about Booger (now 7 years old), and how he will probably be pretty snuggly and protective, but have little patience for rough housing at that point. Then I got to thinking how our first kid probably won't remember too much about Booger as he'll probably be gone before they are very old. That was a pretty sad train of though.

Chester was 11 when E was born and he is pretty protective, and deals very well with the tail pulling and sitting on his back, etc. But yeah, it will break my heart that Chester won't be a dog he remembers (except that he will live forever because he has to). But E LOVESSSSSS Ralph, so that helps a little.

Chester was 11 when E was born and he is pretty protective, and deals very well with the tail pulling and sitting on his back, etc. But yeah, it will break my heart that Chester won't be a dog he remembers (except that he will live forever because he has to).

Booger is a very vocal dog, always has been. Deacon is pretty boisterous and licks, a lot. I think they will adjust, but it will be tense at times. I don't think either dog would ever seriously hurt a kid, but it would not surprise me to see either snap at one if they've had enough. I just don't know because they have never been around kids too much.

Yeah, I have so much curiosity about how both our dog and cat will be when the baby comes in a few short weeks. One thing that is good is that it will be nice out so we can always kick them outside or go on more walks, etc if things get too crazy (as opposed to being cooped up inside on cold/bad weather).

Lucy (dog) and Riley (cat) are both pretty good pets overall and can be fairly tolerant. The concern with Lucy is that she can be an attention hog and she's especially used to getting all the attention she wants from LadyDeacToy all the time. So having his attention elsewhere could be an issue.

Yeah, I have so much curiosity about how both our dog and cat will be when the baby comes in a few short weeks. One thing that is good is that it will be nice out so we can always kick them outside or go on more walks, etc if things get too crazy (as opposed to being cooped up inside on cold/bad weather).

Lucy (dog) and Riley (cat) are both pretty good pets overall and can be fairly tolerant. The concern with Lucy is that she can be an attention hog and she's especially used to getting all the attention she wants from LadyDeacToy all the time. So having his attention elsewhere could be an issue.

How has Lucy been with the pregnancy? Does she know something's up? Both dogs are pretty attached to Mrs. DF07 because she is the more affectionate one, but Booger is especially smitten. I expect when she's preggers, that he will be even more protective. In fact, most of his issues come from when she takes him somewhere. She gets anxious, and he gets protective about that.

Warm weather is clutch. We got Deacon in January of 2011, and the transition was not an easy one.

I now remember how that conversation started. We were talking about how much Booger likes to sleep in the bed, but he's not allowed up on the beds anymore. I was thinking that when we have kids, they would probably sneak him in the bed, and he would love them for it. Mrs. DF07 reminded me that Booger will, at best, be too old to jump up into the bed when our kids would be old enough if he's even still around. I almost bawled right there in the car.

How has Lucy been with the pregnancy? Does she know something's up? Both dogs are pretty attached to Mrs. DF07 because she is the more affectionate one, but Booger is especially smitten. I expect when she's preggers, that he will be even more protective. In fact, most of his issues come from when she takes him somewhere. She gets anxious, and he gets protective about that.

Warm weather is clutch. We got Deacon in January of 2011, and the transition was not an easy one.

I feel like she knows something's different, but hasn't necessarily been overprotective. The biggest change has been converting our third bedroom/office to a nursery. She's definitely a daddy's girl, so the issue will probably be with his attention more than mine.

She does sleep in her crate and not in our bed, which is one less issue to address. The cat does sleep in our bed though most nights, so we'll see how affected he is.

Our cat responded while I was pregnant (before I even knew) by being uncharacteristically clingy and affectionate with me. He is mostly indifferent to E though he puts up with way more "attention" than he would from an adult. Chester wasn't much changed until like 8 months pregnant when he stopped wanting to go one walks away from the house (especially if I wasn't going too) and he even snapped at a repair man who got between him and me (totally out of character). But they both responded without much interest in the baby until he got a little older.

I think Deacon may have allergies. In the spring/summer, he gets itchy and his skin on his belly gets red. Anyone else have this problem? What do you use to help make things more comfortable?

I think Deacon may have allergies. In the spring/summer, he gets itchy and his skin on his belly gets red. Anyone else have this problem? What do you use to help make things more comfortable?

Benedryl

Daily? Just until symptoms subside?

Daily until the symptoms go away. Just like what you would do for humans.

One of the first indicators is often the feet. They will often lick their feet. Then a rash and redness appears on the belly.

Daily until the symptoms go away. Just like what you would do for humans.

One of the first indicators is often the feet. They will often lick their feet. Then a rash and redness appears on the belly.

That sounds like what's going on here. I will try it out this weekend. Thanks.

Benadryl is great for dogs, but make sure you are giving the right dose. Generally speaking 1 mg per pound.

The easiest way I've found is to buy the liquid form (dye free) and use a syringe (or dropper).

Benadryl is great for dogs, but make sure you are giving the right dose. Generally speaking 1 mg per pound.

The easiest way I've found is to buy the liquid form (dye free) and use a syringe (or dropper).

Deacon is the most food motivated dog I've ever known. Giving him pills is not too difficult.

We give our dogs benadryl year round. Too many things they're allergic to. We put a little bit of peanut butter on the pill and it goes right down.

FWIW, our vet said the liquid (either capsules or actual liquid) is the way to go, not tablets. I have no idea if that's true. Seems like it should all work the same.

Back