• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

I now remember how that conversation started. We were talking about how much Booger likes to sleep in the bed, but he's not allowed up on the beds anymore. I was thinking that when we have kids, they would probably sneak him in the bed, and he would love them for it. Mrs. DF07 reminded me that Booger will, at best, be too old to jump up into the bed when our kids would be old enough if he's even still around. I almost bawled right there in the car.

dude, i feel you. on this last trip home, everyone was asking about how jackson was doing, and then making comments about how old he is (13 in july) and what we're going to do, etc. WE'RE GOING TO LOVE HIM RIGHT NOW BECAUSE HE'S HERE, DAMMIT, STOP MAKING ME CRY IN THE BAR. but for real... J's dad is really concerned about it because he knows J will NOT handle it well. He was like "you NEED to get a puppy before Jack goes, or you're going to have to bring some serious help in for J..." ugh.

dude, i feel you. on this last trip home, everyone was asking about how jackson was doing, and then making comments about how old he is (13 in july) and what we're going to do, etc. WE'RE GOING TO LOVE HIM RIGHT NOW BECAUSE HE'S HERE, DAMMIT, STOP MAKING ME CRY IN THE BAR. but for real... J's dad is really concerned about it because he knows J will NOT handle it well. He was like "you NEED to get a puppy before Jack goes, or you're going to have to bring some serious help in for J..." ugh.

Who's dog is Jackson?

Who's dog is Jackson?

Jason's. He's had him since he was 6 weeks old; got him when he was 19.

that said, i've been loving on him for the last 3 years. he knows me as 'mama' (eg: jason can say "go get your mama" and he'll come find me).

Our yellow lab on Masonboro Island.

yve6y2e2.jpg

Jason's. He's had him since he was 6 weeks old; got him when he was 19.

that said, i've been loving on him for the last 3 years. he knows me as 'mama' (eg: jason can say "go get your mama" and he'll come find me).

Stop copying my life.

One more of her after swimming.

enere8a2.jpg

Edited to re-size pic.

I can offer you:

A gently used 3 lbs dachshund
3/4ths bag of puppy food
12 chew toys that havent been touched
14 halves of what was previously 7 pairs of shoestrings
3 piss stained comforters
2 reservations for ~$200 vet visits between now and July
All the posrep I can give

Wanna talk?

I can offer you:

3/4ths bag of puppy food

Wanna talk?

Buddy, you didn't fully identify yourself in the pro shop at the Masters. We should have talked then.

Had the most horrific dream of Jackson's passing last night. Worst nightmare I've had in months. I hate when a dream is so bad you try to keep yourself awake for long enough so you don't fall back asleep and enter the same dream.

I can offer you:

3/4ths bag of puppy food

Wanna talk?

Stick with it. Dachshunds are worth it.

has anyone ever sold a picture of their dog to an advertising agency or company? I have this pic of our dog sitting in the front seat of the car with his paw up like hes driving it. Probably only great in my mind but still am curious if anyone has done that.

Looking for advice from the pit pet lovers... how practical is it for a young professional who lives in an apartment (with a backyard) to have a dog? There's a very sweet dog who looks similar to my old dog at the shelter where I volunteer, and I am going back and forth on whether I should adopt her. On the one hand, I really miss having a dog (my family had to put our dog down last August), but on the other hand, I am worried about the commitment and it being fair to the dog. When I moved out on my own, my old dog had stayed living with my family so it was easy enough for me to see her all the time and take her on hikes etc., but it wasn't like I couldn't go away for the weekend, or go out after work, sleep over a friend's place, etc.

Is there anyone here who lives on their own and works all day and has a dog that can comment? My coworker has a dog and she keeps telling me that as much as she loves her pup, it is difficult because she always has to go right home after work to make sure the dog gets fed and goes out... and then she feels guilty if she just turns around and goes back out. I filled out an application to adopt the dog a few weeks ago and then it just didn't feel right so I wanted to think about it and didn't go through with it. It's been a few weeks and I'm really surprised that she's still there... I went there yesterday and she's just so damn cute. Am I over thinking it?

Looking for advice from the pit pet lovers... how practical is it for a young professional who lives in an apartment (with a backyard) to have a dog? There's a very sweet dog who looks similar to my old dog at the shelter where I volunteer, and I am going back and forth on whether I should adopt her. On the one hand, I really miss having a dog (my family had to put our dog down last August), but on the other hand, I am worried about the commitment and it being fair to the dog. When I moved out on my own, my old dog had stayed living with my family so it was easy enough for me to see her all the time and take her on hikes etc., but it wasn't like I couldn't go away for the weekend, or go out after work, sleep over a friend's place, etc.

Is there anyone here who lives on their own and works all day and has a dog that can comment? My coworker has a dog and she keeps telling me that as much as she loves her pup, it is difficult because she always has to go right home after work to make sure the dog gets fed and goes out... and then she feels guilty if she just turns around and goes back out. I filled out an application to adopt the dog a few weeks ago and then it just didn't feel right so I wanted to think about it and didn't go through with it. It's been a few weeks and I'm really surprised that she's still there... I went there yesterday and she's just so damn cute. Am I over thinking it?

this is pretty much my situation. i used to just go straight from work to after-work activities, but now i have to go straight home first. it makes things a lot more complicated, and takes a while (work is about 15 minutes from home). and like your coworker, my pup gives me this look like "seriously? you're leaving again? but you just got home!" every time that i turn around and head right back out. i feel awful. i don't really think i'm being fair to her, and if i had to do it all over again, i don't think i would. i love her, i love having her. but i don't think i'm really being fair to her.

You have to make that decision for you. Sounds like you would be a good dog owner, even if it would complicate your life. Ultimately, you have to decide if the pros outweigh the cons. If this is an older dog, it should be a lot easier than if it were a puppy. It's not like the dog's two options are your situation which may not be ideal and living in the backyard of the Cleavers, though. Most people are in your situation, so it's not like you would be damaging the potential quality of life for the dog.

this is pretty much my situation. i used to just go straight from work to after-work activities, but now i have to go straight home first. it makes things a lot more complicated, and takes a while (work is about 15 minutes from home). and like your coworker, my pup gives me this look like "seriously? you're leaving again? but you just got home!" every time that i turn around and head right back out. i feel awful. i don't really think i'm being fair to her, and if i had to do it all over again, i don't think i would. i love her, i love having her. but i don't think i'm really being fair to her.

yeah I was really considering a dog, but I don't think it would be fair to the animal. I wavered when I realized the animal's choices are being penned up in my house all day or being euthanized, but I think giving good quality of life would be important, and I like having my schedule more flexible. So, being selfish, I am just going to continue with my one cat. or maybe a second cat.

Back