• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

PLEASE CURRIE!!!!

If this thread isn't a microcosm of the state of our MBB program, I don't know what is.

I miss the old days when students went to the games and we could make fun of how they wore their collars. This is far less fun to argue and complain about.

I don’t necessarily hate the idea of firing Gaudio. I just hate the idea of firing Gaudio for [Redacted].

No one thought Gaudio was a long-term answer. But we would love to have had him stay.

Why not? The SOB has done nothing but bring shame to WFU for years, nothing wrong with shaming him back. "I would like to terminate Mr. Manning now, but, as you may have heard, there is a large buyout figure in his contract. Given our performance over the past few years, I have asked him to forego and/or significantly reduce that buyout, but he has chosen not to. He will be removed at the end of the season due to a reduction in that buyout at that time, and we have begun our search for his replacement to return Wake to its prior status as a relevant basketball program. We will continue to support our student athletes and staff through the remainder of the season."

I don’t disagree with your proposed acknowledgement. And I feel like a lot of what you said has already taken place behind closed doors. Currie just can’t come out publicly and make an announcement at the beginning or middle of a season. He’s doing his background work behind the scenes, talking to potential coaches, talking with big Wake donors, laying the groundwork for a big decision and change that he wants to get done correctly the first time. Not dig himself a hole within his first few months on the job. That could backfire on him immediately and then we are in even worse shape as potential coaches would look at us and the Wake job as an even worse situation and would stay away. Again, whether you agree or not, give Currie a chance to take his time and make this pivotal change at the right time and under the right circumstances. It will happen. I really think his mind is made up but he’s waiting for the season to end for a number of reasons. I could be totally wrong, and if I am, I’m as upset as anyone out there as a lifelong Wake fan. If nothing happens at the end of the season and nothing is said by Currie then we have serious problems on our hands. If he gives a disgraceful RW line at the end of the season and holding onto DM based on no improvement outside of a NCAA bid, then I’m right there with you. And you just think the Joel is empty now. Wait till we have to endure another season of Mannequin. I can’t even fathom that idea. Come on Currie!!!

I don’t disagree with your proposed acknowledgement. And I feel like a lot of what you said has already taken place behind closed doors. Currie just can’t come out publicly and make an announcement at the beginning or middle of a season. He’s doing his background work behind the scenes, talking to potential coaches, talking with big Wake donors, laying the groundwork for a big decision and change that he wants to get done correctly the first time. Not dig himself a hole within his first few months on the job. That could backfire on him immediately and then we are in even worse shape as potential coaches would look at us and the Wake job as an even worse situation and would stay away. Again, whether you agree or not, give Currie a chance to take his time and make this pivotal change at the right time and under the right circumstances. It will happen. I really think his mind is made up but he’s waiting for the season to end for a number of reasons. I could be totally wrong, and if I am, I’m as upset as anyone out there as a lifelong Wake fan. If nothing happens at the end of the season and nothing is said by Currie then we have serious problems on our hands. If he gives a disgraceful RW line at the end of the season and holding onto DM based on no improvement outside of a NCAA bid, then I’m right there with you. And you just think the Joel is empty now. Wait till we have to endure another season of Mannequin. I can’t even fathom that idea. Come on Currie!!!

+1

Why not? The SOB has done nothing but bring shame to WFU for years, nothing wrong with shaming him back. "I would like to terminate Mr. Manning now, but, as you may have heard, there is a large buyout figure in his contract. Given our performance over the past few years, I have asked him to forego and/or significantly reduce that buyout, but he has chosen not to. He will be removed at the end of the season due to a reduction in that buyout at that time, and we have begun our search for his replacement to return Wake to its prior status as a relevant basketball program. We will continue to support our student athletes and staff through the remainder of the season."

While that would appease some folks in the fan base , I'm 100% confident that this approach would have zero impact either positive or negative on who we end up with as our next coach.

Currie hired Bruce Weber to replace Frank Martin at KState. That’s hugely uninspiring, but I expect him to hire someone similar at Wake.

Currie hired Bruce Weber to replace Frank Martin at KState. That’s hugely uninspiring, but I expect him to hire someone similar at Wake.

Weber had some good years at KSU, and I doubt the blue blood coaches were lining up to coach in Manhattan KS.

Anthony Grant is the closest analog I can come up with. Been saying that for a year...

God forbid the next guy gets to the NCAA's 5 out of 7 years with 1 Elite 8 appearance. We better just stick with Manning.

There will be plenty of excuses for the bosses to keep Manning even 1 or 2 more wins than last year. So dont be shocked if hes back next year.

Guess Currie won’t be able to tweet about a great night for the Deacs tonight as Dan remains winless against Clemson.

When was the last time we beat Clemson in football or basketball?

(I'm looking it up now)

EDIT - 10/9/2008 last win in football, 2/25/14 last win in basketball. Both were at home.

That hoops stat is f***ing pathetic. We're going to go 7 years without a win vs Clemson in hoops.

Last edited:
When was the last time we beat Clemson in football or basketball?

(I'm looking it up now)

EDIT - 10/9/2008 last win in football, 2/25/14 last win in basketball. Both were at home.

That hoops stat is f***ing pathetic. We're going to go 7 years without a win vs Clemson in hoops.

Clemson used losing to Wake as a measuring stick for firing football coaches. We should do the same in basketball. C'mon, John, pull a Pat Haden and fire the fucker coming off the plane.

It is so obvious that a change must occur, I don't understand the advantage in postponing the inevitable. Relieving DM of his duties now and installing an interim allows the official search to begin well in advance of the end of the season. Plus taking action now will inspire hope and interest in the program...things long lost to many fans.

The only negative would be if there are several players who really love DM and would not respond well to an in-season firing. I really have no idea as to the bond between team and coach.

We're .500 now. Pull the trigger NOW and we'll likely finish over .500 with some momentum for the new coach.

WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR?! :tard:

Danny Manning is still the "Danny" part of Danny and the Miracles. Legendary in college basketball. The coaches Wake would like to hire all know this. How Wake treats Danny on the way out may play a role in negotiating with the next coach. Currie will treat him with respect all the way to the end.

Manning has definitely underperformed even the lowest of expectations at Wake, and is apparently not suited to coach at the P6 level. Currie will be respectful in how he makes the change. Dramatic statements or a dramatic midseason firing may make a few on here feel better, but, as noted above, will not improve the ability of Wake to hire a good successor. It may cause some candidates to negotiate harder and demand more guarantees to avoid a similar fate.

What more of a guarantee can someone get than the ability to fail for 6 years before being fired?

What more of a guarantee can someone get than the ability to fail for 6 years before being fired?

Part of the reason Danny Manning is still at Wake is the contract, that was reported to be fully guaranteed. I would prefer the next coach not get such solid guarantees. Good results should guarantee a long tenure at Wake.

Back