• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

PLEASE CURRIE!!!!

Correct.

He is very well liked.

Well-liked can take you far in life. I wonder what other 80's or early 90's stars would enter the room and all the people would go "awesome, I am sitting next to...Patrick Ewing..." or I don't even know...it's like gaga lala googoo land at Athletics staff meetings, I suppose.

I mean you ARE Danny Manning, but here at WFU, you are the loserest of all losers, ever, in a sport that is KIND OF important to the alumni and others, so please leave.

Those numbers have to be fabricated. No way in hell that many showed up to the Joel. Maybe those are the tickets sold numbers?

I think the official term is "tickets distributed" which allows teams to include free tickets & donations as part of ticket sales/attendance figures.

I think the official term is "tickets distributed" which allows teams to include free tickets & donations as part of ticket sales/attendance figures.

Don't tell Keeper that...he'll argue that there were 4,873 butts in seats despite what the photos show.

558dba0d95fac00b7c40d491d93a6bf2.jpg

Man, i miss being a Wake Basketball fan. Wake me up when this shit show is over.

Correct.

He is very well liked.

Honestly wonder how the other coaches abide the basketball coaching staff. The money they get for the results they produce has got to lead to some inter-departmental resentment. Can they not see how swindled RW was? Not to mention if there's any validity to the fact that saving $$ for a buyout keeps us from giving well deserving assistants from other teams the raises they deserve.

That is wrong. The buyout money has been there for several months and Currie was given the green light but also the freedom with timing to pull the trigger at such time as he sees fit. It is all on him at this point and, not surprisingly, he continues to fuck it up.

I truly hope you know what you are talking about. It is now clearly the best for everyone for him to fire Manning. Gives staff time to make plans. Puts Currie out front of other teams who will make changes at the end of the season. He can be out front in his search. He can openly evaluate the rising stars. AND the fan base needs it!

If Currie was inclined to fire Manning during the season he would need clearance from Hatch. I can't see that happening. Hatch has been a large part of the problem for 9+ years. Waiting until seasons end is less conspicuous and more the "Wake Forest" tradition. A proper reason for Manning's retirement will be needed and proper condolences will be offered. Remember, accountability has no place in WFU athletics. As long as DM is gone I'll be satisfied.

If Currie was inclined to fire Manning during the season he would need clearance from Hatch. I can't see that happening. Hatch has been a large part of the problem for 9+ years. Waiting until seasons end is less conspicuous and more the "Wake Forest" tradition. A proper reason for Manning's retirement will be needed and proper condolences will be offered. Remember, accountability has no place in WFU athletics. As long as DM is gone I'll be satisfied.

If the buyout money is available, Currie should act immediately. Failure to act should be grounds for his dismissal as well. The basketball program is a disgrace and Manning is a complete joke. If Hatch is in the way....he needs to go too.

Everyone knows it's coming. Every day you wait just makes it worse. It's like watching a $100.00 stock go to 5 cents. Cut the losses for God's sake.

Everyone knows it's coming. Every day you wait just makes it worse. It's like watching a $100.00 stock go to 5 cents. Cut the losses for God's sake.

Sort of. We all knew that last year as well but a stupid decision was made.

Honestly wonder how the other coaches abide the basketball coaching staff. The money they get for the results they produce has got to lead to some inter-departmental resentment. Can they not see how swindled RW was? Not to mention if there's any validity to the fact that saving $$ for a buyout keeps us from giving well deserving assistants from other teams the raises they deserve.

If we do not fire Manning due to the buyout then WFU needs to clean house as far as the coaching staff is concerned. Only person that could possibly stay is Walters. Childress can leave with his son. What the hell does Woodberry bring to this team? Manning Jr. and the DOB as well.

I truly hope you know what you are talking about. It is now clearly the best for everyone for him to fire Manning. Gives staff time to make plans. Puts Currie out front of other teams who will make changes at the end of the season. He can be out front in his search. He can openly evaluate the rising stars. AND the fan base needs it!
I would argue just the opposite: if he fired Manning today, there's not a coach or his agent that Currie's going to make contact with about the job until their season is over. Currie is well-connected with coaches and their agents across the country as well as numerous "insiders" at those schools, and I'm sure that since Day 1 of his hiring (well, more likely since Day 1 of Wellman's getting out of his way), he's "run in" to plenty of the established and up-and-comers, and those normally innocuous "how's it going?" comments have had an element of wink/nod that leaves doors open for when the time is right for both parties to see if there's a fit. It's like the guy who knows he's going to dump his wife, and everybody in the office knows it w/o saying so publicly; much easier to "flirt" and "gauge the talent" when you're married, than dumping the wife and the next day going up to a married chick and asking her if she'd like to ditch her old man and have sex.

Good post. No reason to waste your time arguing this firing will happen during the season— anyone who has worked in , or are familiar with large corporate environments knows this is the case. Manning’s record is similar to last year— absent a Bzdelick “have a good nite buddy” or “fuck you “ , nothing will happen until after the ACC tournament.

I would argue just the opposite: if he fired Manning today, there's not a coach or his agent that Currie's going to make contact with about the job until their season is over. Currie is well-connected with coaches and their agents across the country as well as numerous "insiders" at those schools, and I'm sure that since Day 1 of his hiring (well, more likely since Day 1 of Wellman's getting out of his way), he's "run in" to plenty of the established and up-and-comers, and those normally innocuous "how's it going?" comments have had an element of wink/nod that leaves doors open for when the time is right for both parties to see if there's a fit. It's like the guy who knows he's going to dump his wife, and everybody in the office knows it w/o saying so publicly; much easier to "flirt" and "gauge the talent" when you're married, than dumping the wife and the next day going up to a married chick and asking her if she'd like to ditch her old man and have sex.

I disagree. Follow Dave Tepper's lead. He fired Rivera midseason and rode out the remaining games in a putrid season with a hapless flunky so that his job opening was front and center as soon as the season ended. There was no question about his opening and all the potential candidates knew it was available. As a result, he hired who he thinks was the best candidate out there. You snooze, you lose.

I disagree. Follow Dave Tepper's lead. He fired Rivera midseason and rode out the remaining games in a putrid season with a hapless flunky so that his job opening was front and center as soon as the season ended. There was no question about his opening and all the potential candidates knew it was available. As a result, he hired who he thinks was the best candidate out there. You snooze, you lose.

Tepper knew he was going to target a college coach, so he fired Rivera at the end of the college regular season, which coincides with when college coaches start to entertain extensions or other opportunities; he then hired hired Ruhle just after his bowl game. Presumably Currie is also after a college coach, and like Tepper he'll fire Manning at the end of the college regular season, and also like Tepper he'll hire "his guy" when that coach done with the post-season (hopefully well into the NCAA tournament). So I don't see much difference in the approach Tepper took or the one Currie will presumably take. Now of course Currie still has to make the right hire, but my guess is right now he 100% knows his top 5 candidates in order, and has a decent feel they'll at least listen (and probably that at least of them would take the job tomorrow if offered).

It was known behind the scenes that [name redacted] was gone by late January and one could assume that Wellman was working on potential candidates at that point as well. That Wellman ended up selecting Manning is not a product of WF's timing in when they officially fired Bzzz, but rather Wellman's inability to pursuade better candidates and/or inability to identify proper candidates.

The key is Currie already knowing he is going to make the move so that he is working on what needs to be done to ensure the best candidates & the best hire of those candidates. Not making a decision until the end of the season and quickly trying to generate good candidate lists is how you end up with that one awful coaching search agency (Todd Turner) involved and them suggesting a horrible option.

This is not to say that I'm opposed to firing Manning now. That works for me and I think it could help out with fan support of the program. It's just that the timing of when Manning is fired does not really matter for hiring the new coach assuming that 1. Manning is actually fired & 2. Currie is doing the necessary work behind the scenes to be prepared.

Last edited:
Back