• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

don't see why a 52-year old man with pretty severe health issues would want to jump back into a difficult job in an extreme high-stress profession when he has enough money to fund the next few generations of his family and he's going to collect $1.2+ million more to sit on his couch for a year

I could see why he'd jump on a private plane to go listen to the pitch and eat BBQ before saying no, however

Look, I get why I'm the focus here. In 2009, I said hire Miller or Kelsey. In 2014, I said hire Miller or Kelsey or Wojo. Look at UNCG, Winthrop, and Marquette now. Since 1996, I have been screaming for a smaller stadium. Many of you told me I was nuts.

Now you figured out I was right the entire time. Those that politely stuck by Wellman through these two decades of disaster are fully responsible for this debacle. And not getting it right this time through force will keep us firmly in the loser column.

FUCK WOJO! Anybody who's been a Wake fan since 1996 should know this. It undermines all your credibility.

I mean I think we all realize that Matta will probably not be the next Wake Forest hoops coach and that this is idle speculation. But I do think the last nine years have shown us that wake has a pretty solid recruiting floor even when it is terrible. A good coach who comes in and does his job and builds some excitement should be able to see a significant recruiting bump pretty quickly

If we are going to be honest with ourselves, WF is not "the special situation" which Matta is looking for.

If it was, he would've taken the UGA job. UGA has been to more NCAA tournaments (2) than WF (1) over the last 9 years, and there is less competition in the SEC to get to the top then there is in the ACC. Plus, the contract that Matta turned down $3 million+ per year for 5 years is the limit (and maybe above depending on the Manning buyout) that WF could offer. Matta can get a WF-type rebuild offer at any time. He is not looking to takeover a team that can maybe, with a few breaks, get to the NCAAs in a couple of years. He has won Big 10 titles and gone to the Final 4. He wants a Natty. You don't come to WF to win a Natty.

I love message board speculation, but watching people here starting to get spun up over Matta is misguided.

Exactly and consistent with my point from a couple of days ago that the attractiveness of a Wake opening is not what it was. I understand your point that an ACC job looks good to a lot of coaches but Wake and BC may be the exceptions to the rule.

How many top 50 consensus recruits does BC have on its roster?

How many top 50 consensus recruits does BC have on its roster?

Matta isn't going to BC either. WF is a better job than BC. Does not make it any more likely that Matta is heading to WF.

I just don't understand why our conference is a negative, at all. The goal is to make the NCAA Tournament and do well in March, not to win the conference, as nice as that would be. The more quality teams you play the better your chances to dance, and get a good seed. The ACC provides ample opportunity. Over half the teams make it basically every year. Why is this a bad thing?

FUCK WOJO! Anybody who's been a Wake fan since 1996 should know this. It undermines all your credibility.

Both Pitt and Marquette are very thankful they went with those two Dukies. I wish (and actually wished publicly) we had been as smart.

Matta isn't going to BC either. WF is a better job than BC. Does not make it any more likely that Matta is heading to WF.

Nobody said he was. Just disputing this idea that Wake is some coaching graveyard that some miraculous happening will have to occur to have program success. Recent history shows that one decent year netted us a top 25 nationally recruiting class.

Clemson made the final 32 last year. This year no top 100 recruits. That's a coaching graveyard where it is hard to generate excitement for hoops.

If Manning was a decent ACC quality bench coach, he should have already had success with the level of talent he has had at Wake and been able to build upon it. It isn't Wake. Its the coaches we have had.

Last edited:

I don’t know how anyone can think this way...I’ve been a fan well before 96 and would gladly take a Duke, Carolina or whoever former player if they were a one of the best candidates....I don’t care if they ripped our hearts out on the court and physically stomped our players’ heads...it’s about winning now.

To summarily dismiss a potential candidate solely because of where they went to school, or what they did while there, seems so small time.

That was another major concern. I assumed his given name was Thaddeus, but I can only find confirmation of plain old "Thad." That might be disqualifying.

I had to do a double take on this, too, because Pastner is the worst, YET, I think he was saying it is too early to say if Pastner is worse than Manning. Reluctantly, I admit I have to agree that even though Pastner is the worst, he may be slightly better than Manning, but the jury is still out. He could still fulfill his destiny to plummet to the bottom and be the worst coach AND worst camera hogging try-hard walk-on fraud. That's how bad Manning is. It's a real bummer, man.

No way he is worse than Manning. Manning is an okay recruiter at this level. I have never seen anyone worse at coaching players once they got to campus.

Manning would not be able to coach well at the rec level. I don't think there is a level at which he would be a successful head coach.

Both Pitt and Marquette are very thankful they went with those two Dukies. I wish (and actually wished publicly) we had been as smart.

Let's wait and see on Pitt. Marquette is overachieving at the mo too, they smell like an early bounce team to me.

Still better hires than Danny of course, but low bar

Look, I get why I'm the focus here. In 2009, I said hire Miller or Kelsey. In 2014, I said hire Miller or Kelsey or Wojo. Look at UNCG, Winthrop, and Marquette now. Since 1996, I have been screaming for a smaller stadium. Many of you told me I was nuts.

Now you figured out I was right the entire time. Those that politely stuck by Wellman through these two decades of disaster are fully responsible for this debacle. And not getting it right this time through force will keep us firmly in the loser column.

You definitely have been calling for a small, on campus arena since the mid 90s. No question about that. But as been discussed on here ad nauseam, a new arena is the least of our concerns. Programs have won NCAA championships with a variety of on and off campus arenas of many different sizes.

The part about calling for specific coaches is BS. In 2013 you were calling for Wojo - you even started a thread on here. Before that, you were a big John Pelphrey fan. You also had no interest in Wake considering John Beilein - an absolutely terrible call on your part.

I actually like Wes Miller, but the one part that gives me pause is your support of him over the past few years. You have been wrong about so many things - Pelphrey, Beilein, Jason Williams won't play, Wake would lose to Louisville in 2015, Skip going to Pitt, Tommy Elrod (need I continue?) - that I am worried you are again wrong, as you have proven to be over the past 20 years.

I dont agree with the notion that this is some massive rebuild. Assuming a new coach comes this year and keeps the current roster in tact, then you've got some talented pieces to work with in Year 1 (Sr Childress, Hoard, Muscius, Saar, Wright, Brown). There's talent here, it just needs to be much better coached.

Matta went toe to toe with Skip for OCC and won, but clearly he would understand what this job and program CAN be under the right guidance. Matta also replaced Skip at Xavier, so I would guess he has a tremendous amount of respect and knowledge of what Skip did here and why Skip would come here in the first place.

You'd have to sell Matta on the opportunity based on 10+ years ago, not so much on what's occurred since 2010. I think that's doable.

RE: OCC - according to Conley's cousin Eddie (?), Cook's mom was a bit ill and he signed with O$U which led to them going there. Cook kinda broke away and decided before they had.

You forgot to add Massoud, who looks like a stud. If Hoard returns and the new coach can get a serviceable banger, we could be very good next year.

I'll also add that, in a slightly odd way, an older coach might have a better frame of reference for what the Wake job could be than a real young up and comer

RE: OCC - according to Conley's cousin Eddie (?), Cook's mom was a bit ill and he signed with O$U which led to them going there. Cook kinda broke away and decided before they had.

You forgot to add Massoud, who looks like a stud. If Hoard returns and the new coach can get a serviceable banger, we could be very good next year.

I recall something similar. Cook turned the two player package into a three way... he then "forced" the issue by committing to his choice first.

someone asked earlier and maybe I missed the answer, but what are Matta's health issues?

Back