• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

Wes couldn't even get the unc-wilmington job yet he's going to go to Carolina? He might turn out to be a fine coach but he is a long way away from grabbing the Carolina job. Drew needs to realize that he'd be much better with this campaign if he kind of shied away from the delusional nonsense that just makes him sound like a loon.

Last edited:
Wes couldn't even get the unc-wilmington job yet he's going to go to Carolina? He might turn out to be a fine coach but he is a long way away from grabbing the Carolina job. Drew needs to realize that he'd be much better with this campaign if he kind of shied away from the delusional nonsense that just makes him sound like a loon.

I like how the posts change through the years from “You are delusional” to “Ok, Wes is good and now a candidate for the UNC job but you are still delusional.” I’m sure when Wes and Kelsey get to 800 wins I’ll still be delusional. And we’ll still suck.

Our next basketball coach will not be Thad Matta or Gregg Marshall.

Get that through your thick dwarf skulls.

Worth repeating. . . except maybe the "thick dwarf skulls" part.

Didn't we learn anything from the chase for Brad, Shaka, and Tubby ("our next coach may or may not have won a nat'l championship" :rolleyes:)?

The next WF coach won't be a household name. Probably somebody we've all heard of only in passing.

I didn't say he was good I said he might be good. Just like several other low major coaches with similar resumes. As he has had some success he is now on the radar for a possible move up to a better job. And he's not "a candidate" for the UNC job. Again do you think your ridiculous hyperbole accomplishes anything except making you sound like a fool?

Last edited:
0% chance of Marshall.

Matta is somewhere north of that. Definitely worth a call. Agree that it is unlikely, but not so unlikely that you don't give it a shot.

I like how the posts change through the years from “You are delusional” to “Ok, Wes is good and now a candidate for the UNC job but you are still delusional.” I’m sure when Wes and Kelsey get to 800 wins I’ll still be delusional. And we’ll still suck.

This is what you came away with when you read that post?

I didn't say he was good I said he might be good. Just like several other low major coaches with similar resumes. As he has had some success he is now on the radar for a possible move up to a better job. And he's not "a candidate" for the UNC job. Again do you think your ridiculous hyperbole accomplishes anything except making you sound like a fool?

Just because if I started a thread, you all would kill me.

Wes Miller, age 34.

Lifelong Deacon fan, attended more games before age 15 than anyone.
Told by Skip Prosser he couldn't walk on, he attended James Madison than transferred to UNC.
Wore #22 anyway in honor of Randolph Childress

Player, 2005 National Champions
Player, 2007 ACC Champions
Head Coach, 2012 Southern Conference Regular Season Champs
Head Coach, 2017 Southern Conference Regular Season Champs

We are complete morons for snubbing our nose at this guy. He will be at Georgia or LSU type job next year and, since we weren't interested, he'll take the UNC job in 4-5 years. We are morons. That is all.

That from February 2017. I have to believe that Wes has bolstered his resume by getting LSU back in the top 25 this year. Only 2-3 more years and he'll be whipping us at UNC.

I recognize that's unlikely to happen. However, there have been people here who claimed recently that I didn't say that we should hire him when we hired Buzz and Manning. And they also say I never mentioned that we should build our own smaller arena. So I'm going to speak up.

We should fire Manning, hire a 30 something year old Coach and build a Stadium that actually fits us. That's the path Georgia Tech chose. I predict it will pay off for them.

Oops

THE APPETITE OFFICIAL LIST OF 10

1. Nate Oats
2. Craig Smith
3. Thad Matta
4. Mike Rhoades
5. Bob Richey
6. Ritchie McKay
7. Tommy Amaker
8. Earl Grant
9. Wes Miller
10. Anthony Grant

That from February 2017. I have to believe that Wes has bolstered his resume by getting LSU back in the top 25 this year. Only 2-3 more years and he'll be whipping us at UNC.

Oops
That's the post I have been looking for. Weird that neither UGa nor LSU hired him (nor even UNCW).

I was curious where GT was ranked in the recruiting rankings, but they aren't since they have no commits from HS players for 2019. That small arena and young hungry coach is really drawing them in!!!

Another guy to take a look at is John Becker at Vermont. He is 50 and has been racking up 20+ win seasons thete. He's been there since 2006, taking over as HC after Mike Lonergan left in 2011. 3 reg season first place. 2 America East Tournament titles and some runner up finishes.

3x AE coach of the year.
2 NCAA appearances. 2 NIT appearances.
His worst regular season finish is Tied for 3rd. Vermont is in first place at this time.

All his experience has been small school. Gallaudet, Catholic U, and Vermont. There is nothing to use to judge future success recruiting top 100 players.

So If I'm reading that OGB/DR post correctly, Wes Miller could be our Bball Clawson, yes?

What about Sean Miller? He might not last much longer at Arizona.

If winning the press conference and Power 6 experience are the top criteria, there's an obvious choice - Seth Greenberg. And no, that is not to be viewed as an endorsement of him.

My UNC-CH coworker just endorsed Larry Brown, Jeff Lebo, Rashad McCants, and George Karl for the next Tar Heel coach in no particular order.

Just like DR has been on the Wes Miller hype train forever, I have been on the Josh Pastner hate train forever, and have been trying to tell you thick skulled dwarves that he is terrible for 20 years now.

Just like DR has been on the Wes Miller hype train forever, I have been on the Josh Pastner hate train forever, and have been trying to tell you thick skulled dwarves that he is terrible for 20 years now.

While not quite as poorly thought out as the Manning extension, GT extended Pastner's contract to 2023 when he took the Jackets to the NIT in year #1 (2017). Since then, GT is 24-30 (9-18) and it's not like their roster is brimming with young talent. Not sure what the buy-out terms are, but really have to wonder what schools are doing committing to long term expensive deals for mediocrity at best.

Where was Pastner going to go after a year 1 NIT appearance at GT?

wonder if Johnny Dawkins gets a look - Sweet 16 and 2 NIT championships at Stanford - doing decent work at UCF. Not an exciting hire - but clearly more competent than what we have - has also dealt with recruiting restrictions.

wonder if Johnny Dawkins gets a look - Sweet 16 and 2 NIT championships at Stanford - doing decent work at UCF. Not an exciting hire - but clearly more competent than what we have - has also dealt with recruiting restrictions.
We don't have recruiting restrictions. We have gone after high school students from all sorts of diploma factories in the last couple of years.

Back