• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Post Game Thoughts (Miami)

Wrangor

Go Deacs
Reaction score
1. Manning has transformed our pick and roll defense. Our fundamentals are so much better. Our communication is better, especially between bigs. We aren't chasing windmills out there. The standard pick and roll play at the top of the key involves a big on the elbow, and a big on the post. The elbow big will come up and set the pick for the guard and roll to the basket. The post big will vacate the lane and roll to the top. This is a standard pick and roll. Our bigs have finally learned to hedge the ball screen and switch on the big movement. It is a huge improvement, and shows a lot of growth in our defense.

2. However, we have two very poor defenders that play a majority of our post minutes (Dinos REALLLY bad, and Leonard Pretty Bad). Almost all the open looks on threes last night came off either Dinos or Leonard being late to close out. Dinos is never going to be a great defender because he is just slow, but he has to get better for us to be a good team.

3. Madison played awful last night. He rarely provided any pressure on the ball, and everytime he brought it up the court it looked like he was very uncomfortable with their pressure. Worst game of the year for him IMO. He has to be able to get us into an offense and disrupt the other teams in order to be an effective player.

4. Thought Rountree played within himself, and did a very good job last night. Had a few great looks into the paint, and didn't make any real boneheaded plays (as he is prone to do sometimes). Defense was solid, especially in the first 6-8 minutes as we got out to a fast start. I think I like him more than some others on this board, and while I don't think he is a star, I don't think it is a bad move to have him in the starting lineup right now. Especially since it seems to be helping Manning teach some life lessons to McClinton.

5. Leonard played a great offensive game. As others have noted on the game thread...I can't remember another game where he was more active on the boards. He hit his open looks, and got in there and fought for rebounds (particularly offensive rebounds). I think it helped him that Miami played a smaller lineup. Leonard seems to struggle with larger post players. Might have given him some confidence to be able to see over his defender.

6. Dinos can shoot. Don't know what we would do on offense without him sometimes.

7. CMM got a little crazy with his shot selection (I think that first 3 pointer might have given him some irrational confidence) but he played an excellent game both defensively and offensively. He only hit 3-9 shots, but 7 assists and 1 turnover is a great ball game for your primary ball handler.

8. Devin had a tough game, but he battled all night. Made some poor passes, but the reality is that he gets the defenses best shot every night, and he really isn't a top level star that can handle it. You could tell his attitude was getting away from him a few times last night (delay of game, whining, etc...). Was disappointed to see him yell at the Miami bench after the win, and I am sure that will be addressed.

9. Manning's influence on the team is undeniable. We have players who are actually playing to their strengths. We really have a team that is limited defensively, yet our fundamentals are improving. Once again we outrebounded an ACC opponent.

10. I have seen this before, but never so pronounced for our team, but Manning's emphasis on the secondary break destroyed Miami's ability to rebound on the offensive end. Larranaga employed a 4 man back defense last night, meaning that on pretty much every shot attempt they were sending only one man to the offensive glass (the man in the middle on their offense). They were in a 4 out 1 in pretty much the whole night (5 out on some possessions), and anyone that was on the perimeter was coached to sprint back. This meant that we were prevented from scoring the patented CMM runout layup, but it also meant we grabbed a ton of uncontested defensive rebounds. I will take that trade all day long. Nothing is more disheartening than a put back and 1 layup. We had several on our end. Its a back breaker to get a defensive stop, and then watch the ball fall into the offensive player's hands, have them make a layup and get a ticky tack foul. Leonard was fouled by Jekiri in the first half after an offensive rebound and turned it into a three pointer from the out of bounds play, and in the second half Leonard got an offensive rebound and put it back up for the And-1 against Jekiri. He missed the free throw but that was 5 points and 2 fouls on Miami's best big man simply because they couldn't secure a defensive rebound. Those two plays are game winning plays.

Excited for the future. We probably have a rough stretch ahead of us, but we still haven't played a complete game, and we are competitive almost every night. Can't wait to see us put one together for 40 minutes.

My biggest issue with last night's game, and I felt this way about UNC also, is once the first defender is juked it's a free lane to the basket, we don't rotate well to pickup a driver.

I can't remember Leonard being this active inside all season. Would have been helpful in some other games.

Only thing I disagree with is the idea of putting Rountree in the starting lineup. I personally don't think he's very good and he gets way too much credit for his defensive play. Don't dislike the guy or anything, but don't see the justification for starting him over say McClinton/Hudson or even Darius...

Agree that the future is bright. We have to keep closing games when we have a lead going into the 6-8 min. mark of the second half and figure out how to prevent the four-five minute scoring droughts. Other than that, I'd say we're playing pretty good b-ball right now and DM should get a ton of credit for that. Go Deacs!

ETA: CMM has to be more aggressive going at the basket in transition and in the half-court set. He's been real timid the last two games. Wonder if something is up?

Only thing I disagree with is the idea of putting Rountree in the starting lineup. I personally don't think he's very good and he gets way too much credit for his defensive play. Don't dislike the guy or anything, but don't see the justification for starting him over say McClinton/Hudson or even Darius...

Agree that the future is bright. We have to keep closing games when we have a lead going into the 6-8 min. mark of the second half and figure out how to prevent the four-five minute scoring droughts. Other than that, I'd say we're playing pretty good b-ball right now and DM should get a ton of credit for that. Go Deacs!

I think the justification is that our second unit is awful on offense. If you swap one of those guys out for Rountree such that Rountree is on the second unit, it will be even harder to score with those guys. Have to maintain some balance throughout the game.

Always enjoy reading your post-game thoughts.

Agree about Dinos and defense... Not sure what can be done. He's just slow. Getting stronger should help with rebounding (and missing layups and getting the ball taken from him). He got bailed out by the refs at least twice last night after being weak with a rebound. But his ability to get a quality 3 point look whenever he wants is essential to our offense. Our half-court offense was painful to watch once Miami started getting out and contesting in the 2nd half.

Not sure what happened with Madison. It looked like he couldn't even dribble last night. It wasn't even like he was trying to do too much... he just struggled for no apparent reason.

Rountree is fine for short spurts. Good energy. Doesn't mind mixing it up a bit in the post. Not a fan of how he doesn't seem to value the basketball, but his risk-taking results in some nice passes every now and then. I still think McClinton has much more upside, but it probably makes sense for them to split those minutes the rest of this season.

Leonard played great. I don't expect him to score that many points every game, but there is no reason why he can't consistently attack the offensive boards.

Devin still forces it too much. If it isn't there, he needs to continue to look for the open man. Will hurt his ppg production, but will help our offense. He does it at times (and gets us some wide open looks). But then it seems like he just decides he is done passing for a while. I will say he did a great job w/ Jekiri... at least in keeping him off the glass.

Completely agree about the impact of Miami choosing the guard the break instead of attempting to rebound. I think it is the right way to play against us... caused at least 2 stretches last night where we had 5+ minutes without scoring. Our offense is 1) pushing the ball, 2) shooting 3s, 3) DT and CMM forcing the issue. I still think our biggest weakness is the lack of someone who can create their own shot... Which is why I was shocked that we pulled it out last night after falling behind by 4 with just a few minutes to go.

Random and all over the place, but those were my takeaways.

Reactions: Ayo
I think the justification is that our second unit is awful on offense. If you swap one of those guys out for Rountree such that Rountree is on the second unit, it will be even harder to score with those guys. Have to maintain some balance throughout the game.

I think that is definitely part of it. There was a time in the 1st half last night (in the middle of one of our droughts) where we had 5 players on the floor who had no chance of running an effective offense (No CMM DT Dinos MW or Hudson). It was the stretch when we were up 17-5 and then let Miami back into it. Not sure what Manning was trying to do there.

1) We seem at our worst and most TO prone when DT tries to force the face-up game on a double or even triple-team. He does bring a lot to the table, though. Still needs to consolidate the emotional feces. We play so much better when he lets the game come to him, I think.

2) I like Rountree in the lineup. He is limited offensively, but he has good court vision, decent handles, and is 'about as good' defensively as anyone else in that spot. I am seeing an emphasis on defense yet again. I think Manning likes AR's energy and willingness. Maybe I'm dreaming, but he seems to be rotating a bit better. I think he benefits from the reps, then the team does in turn. Hudson is another that has benefited greatly from more PT. He's earned it.

3) Very pleased with Leonard's performance. Especially on the boards.

4) Agree very much with dot com, on how much lane penetration we seem to allow. We consistently give the opponent easy looks on the drive.

5) Dinos needs to take some ballet lessons :) Love his outside stroke. Doesn't waste much time between catch and release!

6) I am enjoying watching Manning grow into his role as a head coach...our head coach!

I think that is definitely part of it. There was a time in the 1st half last night (in the middle of one of our droughts) where we had 5 players on the floor who had no chance of running an effective offense (No CMM DT Dinos MW or Hudson). It was the stretch when we were up 17-5 and then let Miami back into it. Not sure what Manning was trying to do there.

Sometimes are lineups are beyond puzzling. Just lineups that have almost zero chance of success.

In retrospect, it's funny how we all assumed McClinton would be our third leading scorer. Still think he has a solid 4 year career ahead of him and wish he played more.

Good thoughts. I'm most irritated by some of the totally careless turnovers that continue. A most egregious example are the several stolen passes on our in-bounds play after an opponent basket. It has happened several times and totally a result of lack of concentration and game awareness. Once a season, maybe, multiple times, needs emphasis to get your head in the game. Happened last night.

I'm guessing that Coach Manning is playing 10 guys because he wants to develop folks for next year. If it was me, I would almost eliminate Washington and Rountree from the rotation. Play Wilbekin, Miller-McIntyre and Jones in the backcourt (30/30/20), Hudson and McClinton at the 3 (25/15) and Thomas/Mitoglou/Leonard in the post (30/30/20). Play McClinton at the 4 if you need to steal 5 minutes here and there without Thomas or Mitoglou out there.

I really think that could be the difference in us letting teams back in the game and actually being able to hold a lead.

My biggest issue with last night's game, and I felt this way about UNC also, is once the first defender is juked it's a free lane to the basket, we don't rotate well to pickup a driver.

Totally agree. This is magnified when DT has foul trouble, because he gets tentative. He is the only big we have that can effectively give early help from the post. One criticism I have with Manning is that we don't give that early help quick enough. Part of the problem is that Dinos and Leonard are really slow to react off dribble penetration, but I think part is fundamentals. I do believe that once we get more athletic all around, that we will see Manning open up the defensive playbook a bit. It is easier to tell a big man to jump out on the penetrating guard when you know he can get there, and when you have a guard that can cover.

Defensive fundamentals are built over time. That was one of the most disappointing aspects of [Redacted]'s tenure. You can learn an offensive play in a week. It takes years to hone a defensive foundation IMO. I really believe that Manning is going to put together a great defensive product when all is said and done. But I do agree, that one of our main faults right now is early help out of the post on guard penetration.

I'm guessing that Coach Manning is playing 10 guys because he wants to develop folks for next year. If it was me, I would almost eliminate Washington and Rountree from the rotation. Play Wilbekin, Miller-McIntyre and Jones in the backcourt (30/30/20), Hudson and McClinton at the 3 (25/15) and Thomas/Mitoglou/Leonard in the post (30/30/20). Play McClinton at the 4 if you need to steal 5 minutes here and there without Thomas or Mitoglou out there.

I really think that could be the difference in us letting teams back in the game and actually being able to hold a lead.

Agree with Washington, disagree with Rountree. I thought he really helped us last night and gave us good minutes.

I mean, I realize Devin turned the ball over too much - mostly because he kept getting his footwork crossed up which he's usually pretty good at, but even when he's not scoring he's valuable. Dinos screens for Wilbekin, Wilbekin fakes the entry to Devin, Wilbekin hits Dinos for a wide open 3. That play works because the guy on Dinos drops under the screen in preparation of doubling Devin or preventing an easy entry pass.

In the second half they played up and Devin ends up with 13 point despite only scoring 2 points in the first half. To be fair, he also had two open layups that somehow didn't go down - a blow-by drive and a reverse - that would have put him on 17/5 for a "bad" game. Leave his attitude to Manning - he and Codi are still the backbone of this team.

My concern isn't with the number of minutes everyone is playing, it's with the lineups that we sometimes get. If CMM DT and Dinos are all on the bench at the same time, we are going to seriously struggle to score.

I tend to agree w/ your breakdown of minutes, aside from eliminating Rountree altogether.

Sometimes are lineups are beyond puzzling. Just lineups that have almost zero chance of success.

The interesting thing is comparing +/- for those WTF lineups in different games. Sometimes the lineups that seem like they have absolutely 0 chance of scoring actually work for small stretches and even end up being the most effective of the entire game. Not sustainable over the course of a game, and have actually hurt us at times, but it is interesting to look at.

Back