• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Post Game Thoughts (Miami)

I also agree and think that our inside defense is the weakest toward the end of games when Devin has at least three fouls and wants to avoid getting a fourth and a fifth. Maybe, DM could consider inserting Andre simply for defense near the end of games - even with Devin in the lineup - so that driving the lane is not so easy for our opponents. Lots of times coaches try to rotate defensive and offensive players in and out toward the end of games, when the clock is stopped during just about every possession, and we might try it with Andre.

That would be fine, except for the fact that at this point, Washington is not a very good defender.

If I am thinking of the same instance as you, he put that lineup in maybe 45 seconds on the front side of either the under-12 or under-8 TV timeout. I think he was just trying to get a long rest for the primary guys thinking it would only be a minute or so before the next dead ball. The problem was our awful play snowballed while never resulting in a deadball, so the timeout never came until a few minutes after would normally be expected. I can't remember if he ended up calling a timeout to eventually stop it or just rode it out until the TV timeout came. I think it was a decent idea given our lineup limitations, but that instance just fell into the shit happens category.

Yeah, that was it... we went from having 17 points at 14:53 to not scoring again until MW hit a 3 at 8:50.

The 7 minutes without a basket in the 2nd half were much more painful... but I don't think that was due to who was on the floor.

Yeah- the coaches should inform Washington that if that happens, he just needs to foul somebody (non shooting) to get the timeout.

Not usually necessary to tell Washington that he needs to foul someone.

That would be fine, except for the fact that at this point, Washington is not a very good defender.

He blocks shots and gets in the way, and that's a lot better than our theater usher inside defense: Step right this way Sir. Would like some popcorn and a coke with that layup Sir? Very good Sir.

Haven't read the whole thread, but if/when Dinos gets strong enough to finish inside, he will be one heck of a player for us. I could see him making an All-ACC team his senior year if his body and game mature. Having him, Wilbikin and Crab to go a long with the recruits we've got verbally committed and hopefully those yet to verbal, I could see us being competitive with anybody in the league in a couple of years.

He blocks shots and gets in the way, and that's a lot better than our theater usher inside defense: Step right this way Sir. Would like some popcorn and a coke with that layup Sir? Very good Sir.

There is a lot more to post defense that blocking shots. See Walker, Ty.

There is a lot more to post defense that blocking shots. See Walker, Ty.

I think that you are missing the point. Right now, toward the end of games, we offer no resistance inside. Andre might offer some, at least as a threat to block shots. That's all. So, why not try it?

I think that you are missing the point. Right now, toward the end of games, we offer no resistance inside. Andre might offer some, at least as a threat to block shots. That's all. So, why not try it?

I agree, zone it up the last two. Make me hit a outside shot. Teams get inside way to ez on dem DEACS!

I think the rest of his defense, not to mention offensive game, is so bad that it's still a net negative for him to be on the court at the end even with his better shot-blocking ability.

Really always appreciate wrangor's comments. I would just add that while there are some periods of play where our guys run the offense beautifully and comfortably to their strengths as wrangor mentions, we are generally faced with opponents that limit our strengths, and the inevitable scoring droughts occur and that mental pressure is very tough for us. We don't have confidence at the FT line to stop the bleeding of a scoring drought. Our opponents know it, and thus the pressure is unbearable while we try to hold a lead. On several of DT's turnovers, they were plays where the offense didn't work, he felt the pressure as a leader to make a play that wasn't there, and thus added to our scoring problems with a turnover or a missed layup. I agree 100% about the specific improvements and overall momentum being built. But I really caution everybody to be patient because we aren't very good yet at many things it takes to win in our league. Over the last 4-5 games we have been our toughest opponent.

because he's a horrible defensive player. primarily because of how horrible he is on the defensive glass.

the only reason he'd be in late game situations is if we needed to foul

Second half last night yes, but this is a strange comment after our passing in the first half was so, so good, leading to some fantastic open 3s.

My comment is not limited to last night. Yes we passed very well in the first half last night, but at various times all season we have shown poor shot selection. Leonard and Hudson are frequent offenders, but they also knock some of those bad shots down. Our half court offense is most effective (like most teams') when we move the ball, work it inside, set perimter screens, and then take an open three if the inside shot isn't there or off the drive/kick out.

Last edited:
i don't mind the early shots too much, especially if we have guys in position to hit the glass. our offense really stinks once we get down into single digits on the shot clock due to lack of one-on-one scorers so don't like passing on open shots even if there are 30 seconds left in the possession

Because Washington just isn't good enough to put him in the game during a crucial time period.

One important factor in subbing is defensive assignments. You don't leave all your bigs on the floor against a penetrating 3 guard O.

I did think Leonard and Dinos should have flipped defensive assignments last night. Dinos really did struggle to stay in front of his man. He was sagging so far off, that he allowed so many uncontested jumpers.

Not usually necessary to tell Washington that he needs to foul someone.

Washington commits 9.0 fouls per 40 minutes. That's insane, and a primary reason he can't be out there. For reference, Miles Overton committed 4.9/40 during his time here and our next highest are Rountree (4.4)and McClinton (4.2) with DT at 4.0/40.

because he's a horrible defensive player. primarily because of how horrible he is on the defensive glass.

Washington has a 10.4% defensive rebounding rate. Lower on our team: Mitchell Wilbekin (7.5%) and Darius Leonard (10.2%). That's the full list.

Among our other bigs, Dinos is at 16.0% and Thomas at 26.9% to give it a little perspective.

Back